College Football playoffs and Championship

I haven't done the Deep Dive into Texas v Washington, but I think the Huskies have the best quarterback and QB-WR combination in the playoff. I just don't know they lineup physically against Texas, Alabama, or Michigan. Texas turned it up a notch the final two games of the year, finally playing the kind of dominant football that their talent suggested they could.

Alabama v Michigan...man, I don't know about this one. I want to take Alabama, but Michigan is an experienced team and they have good line strength. OTOH, if Alabama can shut down the run, I think the Wolverines are gonna have a hard time. I don't see Michigan winning with their passing game.

They have the best defense in college football and have played 3 of top 4 defenses in college football on the way to being undefeated. Hanging 26, 30 and 24 on them so the offense is there as well.

They played the best defenses statistically, but none of the BIG schools played any noteworthy non-conference opponents. Moreover, those teams had bad offenses. Michigan won by wearing other defenses down with ground-and-pound running and by playing solid defense themselves.

Alabama has (IMO) a false sense of how good they are because the SEC hasnt played very good defense this year. We will see. I still think Milroe is a liability who may end up biting Alabama in the ass just like he was at the start of the year.

I think this is a fair point to make. Milroe takes negative plays and gets sacked - sometimes a lot. McCarthy's not flashy but he doesn't make mistakes. Milroe has more ability to make big plays but he also has a greater tendency to make bad ones. This will be an interesting QB battle.

If Michigan can get a lead they will force Alabama to throw the ball which isnt going to end well for them. Michigan has the secondary to match up man to man on Alabama's WR's which allows their LB's to focus on Milroe and the Alabama run game. Milroe isnt going to pick anyone apart. He throws the ball deep and is very athletic, I dont think that's enough to beat Michigan.

I think what we don't know yet is how well the lines stack up against each other. I've watched so many bowl games over the years thinking a team would match up well against Bama, Georgia, or other SEC teams, and they just get run over. So we'll see.

Michigan's line is experienced, and they play well as a unit because of this (both sides of the football). Alabama's lines maybe more talented but not as experienced, so there could be some lapses. If Michigan can stuff the run - like really stuff it - then that does put pressure on Milroe. Similarly, if Alabama can stuff Michigan's run, then that puts a ton of pressure on McCarthy.

I'm leaning Alabama but this is a winnable game for Michigan if they play well as a unit, particularly on the lines, and don't make mistakes.

I knew the QB. looked like the secondary was non-existent. They barely won. Went way OVER 60.

It was a sweat to the last sac. WISC was tossing TD passes like it was a practice session. Mercy!

LSU's secondary is trash. They gotta fix that in the offseason.

These are hard games to call but if I had to guess:

Alabama 23 Michigan 20
Texas 37 Washington 35

MI kinda dominating line play? ALA better make adjustments if possible?

And that's what I just couldn't tell b/c Michigan and other top-tier Big-10 schools didn't play out of conference. But what I saw of Michigan this year within the conference was very impressive. They're not flashy. Alabama has better skill position players (slightly), but Michigan's lines - both offense and defense - are experienced and they play really well as a unit, and if this keeps up, then I'm gonna have to go with odds-Michigan.

Milroe also has a tendency to get sacked, and I could see him getting frustrated and desperate late in the game, trying to do things he shouldn't. As much as the modern game loves to go to cute hurry-up offenses and flashy RPO junk, trench warfare is still a thing.

The thing about JJ McCarthy - the criticism - is that he didn't have a lot of pass attempts and completions. But that was by design. Harbaugh wanted to rely on his line strength and running game.

Well ALA stinks. Winter is wrong again. Looks like the team AUB had beat. AUB who lost to NMSU at AUB.

Hey Saban, running the ball up the middle ain't working? Is that all you got?

Well ALA stinks. Winter is wrong again. Looks like the team AUB had beat. AUB who lost to NMSU at AUB.

Hey Saban, running the ball up the middle ain't working? Is that all you got?

Florida State should have gotten in. I know they probably would have lost w/o Travis, but I don't care. The only way their snub looks good is if Alabama wins the national title, and that's very much in doubt now.

Any Saban team has all the blue chip horsepower but the creativity of Marty Shottenhiemer. If the meathead can’t out-defense you or overpower you with bulk…its over.//

Lets go WASH! Certainly has more creativity on offense that that 1957 ALA wishbone sheeatshow. Hey here’s an idea! lets run Millywall up the middle on 4th and goal 3.5yds! That’ll fool em’

Last edited:

Forum List

Back