College Football playoffs and Championship

Florida State should have gotten in. I know they probably would have lost w/o Travis, but I don't care. The only way their snub looks good is if Alabama wins the national title, and that's very much in doubt now.
Alabama probably gave Michigan a better game than FSU could have. But dang...if you play in a major conference and win all your games...its ridiculous that you don’t get invited to the playoff.

Alabama probably gave Michigan a better game than FSU could have. But dang...if you play in a major conference and win all your games...it’s ridiculous that you don’t get invited to the playoff.
FSUs star QB is injured. It’s the one and only reason they weren’t in the CFP.

We have 4 teams vying for one trophy.

Washington v. Texas
I think this one could be a blow-out if Texas can't stop Washington's passing attack.

Michigan v. Alabama
Unless Michigan can stop Milroe, they are in serious trouble. Bama will win at the line and at the end of the game.
Not this year. Now on to Washington

Washington RB Dillon Johnson Injured in Final Minute of Sugar Bowl vs. Texas​

and now his status is up in the air for the national championship bout.

Johnson had aggravated a previous foot injury he was dealing with at the end of the regular season.

Gonna be hard to beat Michigan without your running back.

Alabama probably gave Michigan a better game than FSU could have. But dang...if you play in a major conference and win all your games...its ridiculous that you don’t get invited to the playoff.
There is nothing written in stone that selections must be based only on win loss records. FSU's lost their star quarterback Jordan Travis to a season ending injury. This lost really made FSU a noncontender in the playoffs which became evident in FSU's lost to Georgia 63 to 3 in the Citrus Bowl. I'm an FSU fan but I believe the right choice was made. We had two great playoff games. That certainly would not have been the case had a crippled FSU been selected.

There is nothing written in stone that selections must be based only on win loss records. FSU's lost their star quarterback Jordan Travis to a season ending injury. This lost really made FSU a noncontender in the playoffs which became evident in FSU's lost to Georgia 63 to 3 in the Citrus Bowl.

A lot of their players opted out of that game and the whole team didn't really want to be there. Maybe 10-15 years ago you could use the bowls as a somewhat valid barometer of team strength, but not in the era of the portal and coaches leaving jobs before bowl games.

I'm an FSU fan but I believe the right choice was made. We had two great playoff games. That certainly would not have been the case had a crippled FSU been selected.

Florida State earned the right to be there more than Alabama or Georgia did.

Michigan vs Washington will be great. Wolverines will likely need to score more than twenty points this time to beat Michael Penix and company.
I think it will be a good match. I not familiar with Michigan but from what I saw, I believe they have a well balance offensive and defense and they tend to play a conservative game.
A lot of their players opted out of that game and the whole team didn't really want to be there. Maybe 10-15 years ago you could use the bowls as a somewhat valid barometer of team strength, but not in the era of the portal and coaches leaving jobs before bowl games.

Florida State earned the right to be there more than Alabama or Georgia did.
A 13-member committee selects the four teams to take part in the College Football Playoffs. This system differs from the use of polls or computer rankings that had previously been used. The committee's objective is to select the 4 best teams for the playoffs, not just who has had the best record during the past season. Although the committee certainly looks at past performance and the polls, they also look at which teams are likely to be the top 4 at the time of playoffs. Thus their decision is effected by season ending injuries, opt outs, and the change protocols. It is all about selecting the 4 teams most likely to delivery the best performance in the playoffs, not who has earned the right to be there based just on past performance.

The committee's objective is to select the 4 best teams for the playoffs, not just who has had the best record during the past season.

How is "best" determined? That's the problem. The Committee wanted to keep this process vague and subjective so they could make sure that Alabama got in. I'm just surprised they didn't put Ohio State or Notre Dame over Texas.

So the only preseason futures bet I made on college football was Michigan to be champion at +800, my $30 can make me about $275 if they win, but I think I will place money on Washington, my gut tells me they find a way to win this game, and I truly believe they will win.

So the only preseason futures bet I made on college football was Michigan to be champion at +800, my $30 can make me about $275 if they win, but I think I will place money on Washington, my gut tells me they find a way to win this game, and I truly believe they will win.

I like Washington, but the defensive line of Michigan will have no trouble with Washington’s o-line.

I make it Mich 32, Huskies 24. It will be a very good game.

Washington has a very good offensive line. They will definitely have to play their best. Michigan will not be able to outscore Washington.

Both Washington and Michigan have great teams but very different. UW will often take chances that most teams wouldn't, like going for 1st down on their 3rd down from their 35 yard line. Michigan appears to be more solid with a balance offense and defense and are more conservative. UW has a great offense but their defense can be shaky at times. However, they seem to rise to the occasion when it's a do or die situation.

I would not try to predict the outcome other than I think fans will see a good game.

Screw Alabama.

Way to much press and should not even be in the final four.

I hope Michigan trounces them.
You don’t think Bama should have been in the final four? Which team do you think should have been there instead?

There is nothing written in stone that selections must be based only on win loss records.
Oh yeah, I get all of that. They want the most compelling games that are going to get the most eyeballs because its all about money.

What I find humorous is that FSU did exactly what they were supposed to do...they won every game they played. What else could they do beyond that? Nothing. Instead of rewarding them for a perfect season, they decided to cast that aside in favor of the most compelling game.

Oh yeah, I get all of that. They want the most compelling games that are going to get the most eyeballs because its all about money.

What I find humorous is that FSU did exactly what they were supposed to do...they won every game they played. What else could they do beyond that? Nothing. Instead of rewarding them for a perfect season, they decided to cast that aside in favor of the most compelling game.
Clearly they made the right move, there were all kinds of opt outs and it looked like the team quit on their coach. We didn't want to see another blowout, and we would have if they incluided them.

Clearly they made the right move, there were all kinds of opt outs and it looked like the team quit on their coach. We didn't want to see another blowout, and we would have if they incluided them.
No, they made the wrong move. What is the point of college athletics...is it to do all of the bullshit that we’ve been told for decades and decades..teach teamwork, build character, promote a meritocracy?

Clearly the point is none of that. Its to produce the biggest payday. Thats all. Nothing else.

A blowout? Yeah probably. And we’ll likely see one when Michigan plays Washington too.

But back to opt-outs?

So what happens when they pick 4 teams then a coach, player or players opt out after the selection? Are they going to screw over the other players on the team who didn’t opt out because the star(s) decide there is no benefit to his long term earning potential?

No, they made the wrong move. What is the point of college athletics...is it to do all of the bullshit that we’ve been told for decades and decades..teach teamwork, build character, promote a meritocracy?
The meritocracy was honored, in the same way it was honored with Liberty Univ., also undefeated and absolutely trounced by Oregon.

Forum List

Back