Christian Laettner says gay slurs hurtful while he was at Duke

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
he was famous for being a party animal with his best friend on the team Bobby Hurley. oh well, it is what it is

Grant Hill compared Laettner to a member of New Kids On The Block because he was so popular with the ladies (and some boys)

BiQK7SrCEAAvna9

Last edited:
I remember him.
He was a solid player, but no one liked him.
To me, I thought he always carried around a better than thou attitude. The Frat boy with the Mercedes.

That shot was only an average shot. People hated it, because ESPN made it out to be on eof the greatest shots ever.
Which simply wasn't true. It was just a jump shot.

The ACTUAL greatest shot by a relatively unknown IU player.. who became famous due to this shot:

• Banned
i like this one...i was watching live as a kid cheering on Reggie...he just came up short in the end, but this was a historic shot to send the game into overtime

Miller was an unbelievable player, who of course had a great career at Indiana.
One of those few players that people could compare to Jordan and not be laughed at.

• Banned
Miller was an unbelievable player, who of course had a great career at Indiana.
One of those few players that people could compare to Jordan and not be laughed at.
i idolized Miller growing up, though i couldn't hit a 3 if my life depended on it, because i shot it too strongly, i was a better shooter from mid-court or 40 feet away than closer to the 3 point line, weirdly

i idolized Miller growing up, though i couldn't hit a 3 if my life depended on it, because i shot it too strongly, i was a better shooter from mid-court or 40 feet away than closer to the 3 point line, weirdly
Not a bad player to idolize.
Miller was so damn athletic. He could go from 0 - 60 in a microsecond, but still had a light touch as well.
Most players who have that kind of explosive speed can never control it.
I honestly don't know who was harder to guard - Jordan, who had an uncanny ability to put himself in scoring position with unheard of accuracy... or Miller, whose speed left you standing. Teams would double team Miller all the time in college, and he would just route around them and score anyway.

The "I hate Christian Laettner" 30 for 30 is one of the best sports docs you can ever watch.

The thing you find out is, he wasn't some rich, preppy growing up. Yet, he was painted as that.. the evil white Duke player.

The "I hate Christian Laettner" 30 for 30 is one of the best sports docs you can ever watch.

The thing you find out is, he wasn't some rich, preppy growing up. Yet, he was painted as that.. the evil white Duke player.
I don't understand the hatred directed at him.

I don't understand the hatred directed at him.
Hate is a strong word.
I don't think people "hated" him... they disliked what he appeared to be.
I didn't like him. The foot on chest event wasn't the only one. He carried with him an air of superiority.
Like I said - the frat boy with a Mercedes.
At the time no one knew of his actual situation, which was far from what he made himself out to be.
If he wanted to be liked, then he shouldn't have spent so much time acting like an asshole.

Hate is a strong word.
I don't think people "hated" him... they disliked what he appeared to be.
I didn't like him. The foot on chest event wasn't the only one. He carried with him an air of superiority.
Like I said - the frat boy with a Mercedes.
At the time no one knew of his actual situation, which was far from what he made himself out to be.
If he wanted to be liked, then he shouldn't have spent so much time acting like an asshole.
With Duke it is guilt by association. Laettner and Hurley were both from the wrong side of the Preppie tracks.

Laettner's NBA career never recovered after he tore his Achilles at 29. he retired at 35...before he got injured, he averaged 16.6 ppg 7.9 rpg in 462 NBA games...his numbers collapsed after

Laettner's NBA career never recovered after he tore his Achilles at 29. he retired at 35...before he got injured, he averaged 16.6 ppg 7.9 rpg in 462 NBA games...his numbers collapsed after

I must be missing something! Outside of Duke play, he was probably wasting his time! What a crybaby! :dunno:

Forum List

Back