Chocolate Chip Cookies

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Starting just before this last summer I decided since making cookies for my Mom, brother, and sister-in-law often, I'd ramp up the recipe a bit so I had enough to share with neighbors, their kids, the maintenance crew, and the rental office ladies. At first I was just using the recipe on the back of the bags of chips, but after a while I looked around online for better recipes. Finding Mrs. Fields' site always liking their's, I took her Blue Ribbon Chocolate Chip recipe and tweaked it a bit. After a while of that, I looked around for more and found some healthier recipe variations. Because I've been making them every Friday, and cupcakes every Tuesday, I figured any little healthier bit I could make them would be worthwhile.

Last couple weeks, this is the recipe I've been using to great effect:

5 cups white wheat flour (can't taste the difference myself, but I'm a long-time smoker)
4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
6-8 tablespoons vanilla extract/imitation vanilla (have tried all the brands and again don't notice any differences)
2 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 eggs
4 sticks salt-free butter (have tried all salt-free variations skipping the 2 teaspoons but seems to do something chemically or something so leave it in, but using slat-free butter I don't see a difference and it saves like 800mgs per stick so why not.)
2 23oz bags Semi-Sweet or Milk Chocolate Chips (every recipe I've seen says semi-sweet, but milk chocolate works too and think it tastes even better myself. Have tried 11, 22, and 66oz versions but 46oz seems to be the sweet spot for 5 cups flour versions. Not too much, not too little.)

Bake at ~350F for about 12-15 mins.

I use a tin foil covered cookie sheet having discovered a new cookie sheet will overcook them for some reason, but something about a foil covering helps ensure they don't.

I had been overcooking them deliberately since cutting them in half taking them out they were still wet n gooey inside. But talking with my Mom she said how they continue to cook on the cooling rack, and once they're cooled the wet gooey look will vanish. And she was right, so don't do em beyond 15 minutes.

Have experimented too with 325F and 375F and settled on 350F. I think all ovens will have some natural variation and unless the setting's digital you're gonna be guesstimating anyway so use whatever works for your particular oven.

And contrary to every other recipe, I just put all the ingrediants in the main bowl then blender them up until everything mixed. If you wanna do stuff seperately go ahead, but I don't think it makes any difference. Not with cookies at least.
Enjoy.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back