Chinese citizens sue Florida over law barring them from owning houses

Fuck the chinks in the ass. If they don't like it go back to Mao Fung Ching. You have no rights to an opinion.

Fuck the chinks in the ass. If they don't like it go back to Mao Fung Ching. You have no rights to an opinion.

Just out of curiosity, where exactly IS "Mao Fung Ching"? Can you point to it on a map? And why is it you appear to desire anal sex with those of Asian descent?

Oh wait...................I see it now...............another troll who's probably a Trump supporter is trying to appear "tough" on an anonymous message board.

I am not sure but the fair housing act might get in the way of this legislation. https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/fair_housing_act_overview
Citizenship status isn't a protected class there. Lots of countries have banned wealthy foreigners from doing this. Mostly due to Chinese.

Just out of curiosity, where exactly IS "Mao Fung Ching"? Can you point to it on a map? And why is it you appear to desire anal sex with those of Asian descent?

Oh wait...................I see it now...............another troll who's probably a Trump supporter is trying to appear "tough" on an anonymous message board.
Fuck Trump and Pence in the ass too

In a capitalist nation one seeks to make transactions for profit, denying anyone the ability to consume is only defeating capitalism.

I lived out in California during the Great Recession and some markets recovered faster literally because of foreign (often Chinese) buyers. They had been living and renting for years, waiting for their green card, and when the prices collapsed they rushed in to buy. A law like DeSantis' would have delayed the recovery of California's housing market for sure, and DeSantis is setting up to screw Florida residential real estate if the market collapses there for whatever reason.

I'm not flat-out against laws like this if there's a reason, like say, a foreign investor that's gobbling up property and screwing local renters and jacking up home prices -- a law to stop that would be totally okay with me. But if this is just Meatball Ron trying to up his testosterone levels, then it's probably a bad law.

Hmmm..this seems a bit much--but I bet some folks here are all in favor eh?

A group of Chinese citizens who live and work in Florida are suing the state over a new property law that threatens to restrict some people from China and a handful of other countries from purchasing homes and land in the state.
The plaintiffs allege that the law, SB 264, is discriminatory and that it stokes racial biases against Chinese Americans and undermines their financial freedom. Gov. Ron DeSantis signed it into law and it is set to go into effect on July 1.
It bars Chinese citizens who are not United States citizens from purchasing homes in Florida, with few exceptions. It imposes similar but less stringent restrictions on citizens of Cuba, Venezuela, Syria, Iran, Russia and North Korea.
DeSantis, who is expected to announce a bid for president soon, has said the law will protect Florida from China’s Communist Party, a common target for Republicans.
The ACLU, the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund and a Florida law firm, which are all representing the plaintiffs, say that the law would cast “an undue burden of suspicion” on anyone trying to buy a house as long as their “name sounds remotely Asian.”
“This misguided rationale unfairly equates Chinese people with the actions of their government, and there is no evidence of national security harm resulting from real estate ownership by Chinese people in Florida,” the ACLU said in a news release.

I think there are several issues here.

1) What rights do foreigners in the USA have?
2) The power of a state to restrict home ownership, as happens in other countries, where foreigners (especially the Chinese) are buy homes as investments.
3) Can states, or the US, under the Constitution, implement reciprocal laws on citizens of those countries?

Really, for me the biggest issue is protecting the US from China. Often the difference between the Chinese government and Chinese citizens is blurred. The Chinese have many, many tricks up their sleeves to cause problems. In the event of some war, like a Cold War, the US could be left hanging by such laws.

The other issues are the house prices need to be controlled. In China so many people buy flats just as an investment. This has pushed property prices up massively in China, I think they doubled in some places in a matter of years, with government officials making huge amounts of money out of this.

Xi wants to implement policies such as second property taxes, which is cause a lot of people a lot of problems as people are literally gambling on higher and higher prices every year. They take out huge mortgages on these properties, if the value drops or even if they lose their job, these people are in serious trouble.

So, why buy in a market that is so difficult to predict? Instead go to the US and invest there.... pushing up the property prices because millions upon millions of Chinese people want to invest. If they then had to pull out all of a sudden, the market will collapse causing problems for a lot of Americans. The higher prices will cause no end of problems for people trying to buy their first home too.

What benefit is there from foreign ownership of US properties?

There are a lot of potential problems and I'm not sure of any benefits.

Hmmm..this seems a bit much--but I bet some folks here are all in favor eh?

A group of Chinese citizens who live and work in Florida are suing the state over a new property law that threatens to restrict some people from China and a handful of other countries from purchasing homes and land in the state.
The plaintiffs allege that the law, SB 264, is discriminatory and that it stokes racial biases against Chinese Americans and undermines their financial freedom. Gov. Ron DeSantis signed it into law and it is set to go into effect on July 1.
It bars Chinese citizens who are not United States citizens from purchasing homes in Florida, with few exceptions. It imposes similar but less stringent restrictions on citizens of Cuba, Venezuela, Syria, Iran, Russia and North Korea.
DeSantis, who is expected to announce a bid for president soon, has said the law will protect Florida from China’s Communist Party, a common target for Republicans.
The ACLU, the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund and a Florida law firm, which are all representing the plaintiffs, say that the law would cast “an undue burden of suspicion” on anyone trying to buy a house as long as their “name sounds remotely Asian.”
“This misguided rationale unfairly equates Chinese people with the actions of their government, and there is no evidence of national security harm resulting from real estate ownership by Chinese people in Florida,” the ACLU said in a news release.
Are they US citizens?

If so then they have a right to buy land

If they are not citizens then screw them

K, so if Floridian investors can't buy land in China, Chinese investors shouldn't be able to buy land in Florida. If China changes, Florida changes.
Well said, because no foreigner can own land in china

Forum List

Back