Chinese citizens sue Florida over law barring them from owning houses

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Hmmm..this seems a bit much--but I bet some folks here are all in favor eh?

A group of Chinese citizens who live and work in Florida are suing the state over a new property law that threatens to restrict some people from China and a handful of other countries from purchasing homes and land in the state.
The plaintiffs allege that the law, SB 264, is discriminatory and that it stokes racial biases against Chinese Americans and undermines their financial freedom. Gov. Ron DeSantis signed it into law and it is set to go into effect on July 1.
It bars Chinese citizens who are not United States citizens from purchasing homes in Florida, with few exceptions. It imposes similar but less stringent restrictions on citizens of Cuba, Venezuela, Syria, Iran, Russia and North Korea.
DeSantis, who is expected to announce a bid for president soon, has said the law will protect Florida from China’s Communist Party, a common target for Republicans.
The ACLU, the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund and a Florida law firm, which are all representing the plaintiffs, say that the law would cast “an undue burden of suspicion” on anyone trying to buy a house as long as their “name sounds remotely Asian.”
“This misguided rationale unfairly equates Chinese people with the actions of their government, and there is no evidence of national security harm resulting from real estate ownership by Chinese people in Florida,” the ACLU said in a news release.

A group of Chinese citizens who live and work in Florida are suing the state over a new property law that threatens to restrict some people from China and a handful of other countries from purchasing homes and land in the state.
The plaintiffs allege that the law, SB 264, is discriminatory and that it stokes racial biases against Chinese Americans and undermines their financial freedom. Gov. Ron DeSantis signed it into law and it is set to go into effect on July 1.
It bars Chinese citizens who are not United States citizens from purchasing homes in Florida, with few exceptions. It imposes similar but less stringent restrictions on citizens of Cuba, Venezuela, Syria, Iran, Russia and North Korea.
DeSantis, who is expected to announce a bid for president soon, has said the law will protect Florida from China’s Communist Party, a common target for Republicans.
The ACLU, the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund and a Florida law firm, which are all representing the plaintiffs, say that the law would cast “an undue burden of suspicion” on anyone trying to buy a house as long as their “name sounds remotely Asian.”
“This misguided rationale unfairly equates Chinese people with the actions of their government, and there is no evidence of national security harm resulting from real estate ownership by Chinese people in Florida,” the ACLU said in a news release.
I believe there should be a constitutional amendment barring ANYONE from US property ownership who is not a citizen of the US.

chinaman 1.png

The obvious problem is the CCP uses Chinese citizens and any other means to snap up American property of all kinds. The CCP created the situation, too bad for their citizens but it's all on them.

The obvious problem is the CCP uses Chinese citizens and any other means to snap up American property of all kinds. The CCP created the situation, too bad for their citizens but it's all on them.
A real background check of Chinese citizens who wish to own property would be smart to see who they may be affiliated with and any relation to the CCP government. It is a good job for the C.I.A. . Although even that may not pass the Supreme Court Test.

I am not sure but the fair housing act might get in the way of this legislation. https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/fair_housing_act_overview

Not really sure it does because citizenship isn't a protected class under the Act. I think there are a few states that already highly restrict foreign ownership of agricultural lands in their state. I mean it is a stupid proposal, but I am guessing they need a Plan B legal argument if they are going with the Fair Housing Act challenge.

A real background check of Chinese citizens who wish to own property would be smart to see who they may be affiliated with and any relation to the CCP government. It is a good job for the C.I.A. . Although even that may not pass the Supreme Court Test.
Yes, too bad the FBI and CIA are totally occupied tracking "White Supremacist" groups, the "biggest threat" to our Democracy. Oh yeah China's fine but ULTRA-MAGA!!!!!! AIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!

Forum List

Back