Zone1 Check your artificial intelligence 'bossware' tools for bias, says U.S. agency head

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
News coming out of the EEOC is always of interest however this article is especially interesting to me because last week I posted some information regarding the state of multiculturalism in cybersecurity and how an environment of inclusion is better for everyone.

Of course the mere mention of Black people moving into spaces that have been traditionally occupied by white males was met with all of the usual tired stereotypes about "unqualified Blacks" displacing "(naturally) much more qualified whites". I'm not sure if they took a vote or if they're all just wired the same way but the consensus seems to be that the only way Black people could move into these spaces is by lowering the bar for us which then seems to then imply that there has been nor could there ever be anything of value that we have to bring to the table.

Well this article is a perfect example of why a diverse perspective is needed and helpful if you want to be truly equitable and just. A white male workforce crafting questions and responses to the myriad of questions that people all around the world (not just in the U.S.) might pose to an AI creation, whether that be Alexa, Siri or the algorithm your talent acquisition system uses to screen and weed out job applicants as in the case in the article regarding Amazon, you're only going to get the perspective of the predominant demographic no matter how fair they might try to be

Amazon, for instance, abandoned its own resume-scanning tool to recruit top talent after finding it favored men for technical
roles — in part because it was comparing job candidates against the company’s own male-dominated tech workforce.

In any case, it's a good read if you are intrigued by these types of things as I am, particularly since it explains what I attempting to explaining regarding the diverse cybersecurity task force, but this is even better because the EEOC is aware of the shortcomings of these systems already.

The head of the U.S. agency charged with enforcing civil rights in the workplace says artificial intelligence-driven “bossware” tools that closely track the whereabouts, keystrokes and productivity of workers can also run afoul of discrimination laws.​
Charlotte Burrows, chair of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, told The Associated Press that the agency is trying to educate employers and technology providers about their use of these surveillance tools as well as AI tools that streamline the work of evaluating job prospects.​
And if they aren’t careful with say, draconian schedule-monitoring algorithms that penalize breaks for pregnant women or Muslims taking time to pray, or allowing faulty software to screen out graduates of women’s or historically Black colleges – they can’t blame AI when the EEOC comes calling.​
“I’m not shy about using our enforcement authority when it’s necessary,” Burrows said. “We want to work with employers, but there’s certainly no exemption to the civil rights laws because you engage in discrimination some high-tech way.”​

Seeing as the workforce IS predominatly white male at 70%...........still..............even after "womens lib"..............

Why? Women REFUSE to do hard labor jobs.....statistically speaking.

It's extremely RARE and still pretty much unheard of, to see or find women in the roles of:

Police
Firemen
Emergency Medical Service/Ambulance Drivers
HVAC
Electrical
Engineering
Architecture
Factory workers involving smelting/metal works
Farming
Digging - diamonds, coal, metals, crystals, oil, gas, water
Mechanics

Women STILL prefer the soft jobs on the whole.
And even with that, a lot of women prefer to get married and have the traditional role of a housewife while having the man work......regardless of the obvious lies they tell about housewives being a "thing of the past" and women should have all the rights of
working any job that a man does.

Well..........women DO HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS. THEY JUST REFUSE TO USE THEM!
But they bitch, whine, and complain about it all the same.

SAME THING GOES FOR THE BLACKS. THE JOBS ARE THERE, THEY JUST DON'T WANT THEM!!!

They all want something for nothing. And when they find out the harsh TRUTH that the world doesn't work like that........
they bitch, whine, complain, and throw thier little tantrums and scream "inequality" and "racism".

And what the hell is WRONG with employers wanting to hire QUALIFIED people for their open jobs????? HUH???
If all they are getting are WHITE MALE qualified candidates applying for their jobs.........thats not the companies fault is it!!!!

News coming out of the EEOC is always of interest however this article is especially interesting to me because last week I posted some information regarding the state of multiculturalism in cybersecurity and how an environment of inclusion is better for everyone.

Of course the mere mention of Black people moving into spaces that have been traditionally occupied by white males was met with all of the usual tired stereotypes about "unqualified Blacks" displacing "(naturally) much more qualified whites". I'm not sure if they took a vote or if they're all just wired the same way but the consensus seems to be that the only way Black people could move into these spaces is by lowering the bar for us which then seems to then imply that there has been nor could there ever be anything of value that we have to bring to the table.

Well this article is a perfect example of why a diverse perspective is needed and helpful if you want to be truly equitable and just. A white male workforce crafting questions and responses to the myriad of questions that people all around the world (not just in the U.S.) might pose to an AI creation, whether that be Alexa, Siri or the algorithm your talent acquisition system uses to screen and weed out job applicants as in the case in the article regarding Amazon, you're only going to get the perspective of the predominant demographic no matter how fair they might try to be

Amazon, for instance, abandoned its own resume-scanning tool to recruit top talent after finding it favored men for technical
roles — in part because it was comparing job candidates against the company’s own male-dominated tech workforce.

In any case, it's a good read if you are intrigued by these types of things as I am, particularly since it explains what I attempting to explaining regarding the diverse cybersecurity task force, but this is even better because the EEOC is aware of the shortcomings of these systems already.

The head of the U.S. agency charged with enforcing civil rights in the workplace says artificial intelligence-driven “bossware” tools that closely track the whereabouts, keystrokes and productivity of workers can also run afoul of discrimination laws.​
Charlotte Burrows, chair of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, told The Associated Press that the agency is trying to educate employers and technology providers about their use of these surveillance tools as well as AI tools that streamline the work of evaluating job prospects.​
And if they aren’t careful with say, draconian schedule-monitoring algorithms that penalize breaks for pregnant women or Muslims taking time to pray, or allowing faulty software to screen out graduates of women’s or historically Black colleges – they can’t blame AI when the EEOC comes calling.​
“I’m not shy about using our enforcement authority when it’s necessary,” Burrows said. “We want to work with employers, but there’s certainly no exemption to the civil rights laws because you engage in discrimination some high-tech way.”​

This seems like common sense to me, which I realize is not so common anymore. But I also seem to remember the EEOC being all in with vaccine mandates in the not too distant past. What an error in judgment that was.

Seeing as the workforce IS predominatly white male at 70%...........still..............even after "womens lib"..............

Why? Women REFUSE to do hard labor jobs.....statistically speaking.

It's extremely RARE and still pretty much unheard of, to see or find women in the roles of:

Police
Firemen
Emergency Medical Service/Ambulance Drivers
HVAC
Electrical
Engineering
Architecture
Factory workers involving smelting/metal works
Farming
Digging - diamonds, coal, metals, crystals, oil, gas, water
Mechanics

Women STILL prefer the soft jobs on the whole.
And even with that, a lot of women prefer to get married and have the traditional role of a housewife while having the man work......regardless of the obvious lies they tell about housewives being a "thing of the past" and women should have all the rights of
working any job that a man does.

Well..........women DO HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS. THEY JUST REFUSE TO USE THEM!
But they bitch, whine, and complain about it all the same.

SAME THING GOES FOR THE BLACKS. THE JOBS ARE THERE, THEY JUST DON'T WANT THEM!!!

They all want something for nothing. And when they find out the harsh TRUTH that the world doesn't work like that........
they bitch, whine, complain, and throw thier little tantrums and scream "inequality" and "racism".

And what the hell is WRONG with employers wanting to hire QUALIFIED people for their open jobs????? HUH???
If all they are getting are WHITE MALE qualified candidates applying for their jobs.........thats not the companies fault is it!!!!

86% of nurses are female. Is that a "soft" profession? Cleaning up other people's vomit and poop all day long, running IVs?

Dental hygienists are even more female: upwards of 95%. Is that soft, poking around in people's mouths, scraping plague off their teeth?

86% of nurses are female. Is that a "soft" profession? Cleaning up other people's vomit and poop all day long, running IVs?

Dental hygienists are even more female: upwards of 95%. Is that soft, poking around in people's mouths, scraping plague off their teeth?

Those are specified jobs, I'm talking the entire job market, all across the board.

And yes, they are considered "soft" jobs. As they do not entail working with dangerous and possibly life ending machinery, electricity, caves, or undersea welding (as in working with oil/gas).

Those are specified jobs, I'm talking the entire job market, all across the board.

And yes, they are considered "soft" jobs. As they do not entail working with dangerous and possibly life ending machinery, electricity, caves, or undersea welding (as in working with oil/gas).

So you're mostly talking trades--and I agree, still mostly male dominated. But I might protest the "dangerous" part, seeing as how my profession is increasingly dangerous. Six year olds with guns. Just last week my school was in lockdown over threats from a domestic situation.

So you're mostly talking trades--and I agree, still mostly male dominated. But I might protest the "dangerous" part, seeing as how my profession is increasingly dangerous. Six year olds with guns. Just last week my school was in lockdown over threats from a domestic situation.

Yeah, a lot of these statistics don't take into account a lot of new conditions of employment, as it were.

Actually, they never have. As working in places like convenience stores, banks, and gas stations are extremely dangerous.........but they never figure that into their little statistical analysis'.

Forum List

Back