Big Tech call center workers face pressure to accept home surveillance

Then don't get a job where you work from home. It's that easy.

Everyone wants everything to be their way, they want more and more without doing anything for it. I want to work from home, but I don't want my progress tracked by being watched, what pussies.

People are desperate to not have to go somewhere to work.
And, that justifies home surveillance?

You can put a camera in my house if you feel the need. But, be forewarned, I have a proclivity towards naked housework ...

giphy.gif

Employers believe otherwise.

You’re on the clock and supposed to be working – you’re not being paid to do the laundry or bake bread.

If you are getting the expected amount of work done, why would you care as an employer? The only thing I can figure is their performance is less than par since staying home.

If you are referring to the last video, the CNN video. It is different from the other two.
But it tells us that the government spies on us under the name of protecting America. But in response, we will say, "Yeah, yeah, protect us", but without thinking that the government can turn on its own. But the first and second amendments was to prevent the government from turning on its citizens. And the 4th amendment was to prevent the government from invading our privacy unless there are probable cause.
The Patriot Act which it was given that name to appease the public so that it will not anger the public when they finds out the government can spy on them.
The Patriot Act gives the government permission to those they believe, but not the public, as a national threat. like for an example, if the government before Pres. Trump became president, thinks he is a Russian agent. That it will give them the right to spy on him, or if he belongs to what they considers as a Hate group. That they can spy on him.
That is why they have labeled him a Russian agent and a member to a Hate group. So that the government can spy on him and anyone who affiliate to him like his supporters.

She was considered as a threat to national security because she protested against chemtrails and tried to impeach Bush..

I still don't how any of that indicates we gave permission for our government to spy on us. If what I've read is to be believed, the powers-that-be attempted to get a version of the Patriot Act passed a few years before the 911 attack and of course it was rebuffed due to the civil liberties and privacy violations it contained. It has long been alleged that the Patriot Act was passed without any of our representatives even reading it, not that I'm sure that them having read it would have made any difference in the panic and paranoia that gripped the nation in the aftermath of the attacks.

Netflix is currently running a documentary called "Spycraft". I tuned into it but didn't really get an opportunity to watch it (I was doing something else) but they detailed several situations that I was already aware of, beginning with the man-in-the-middle interceptions, the discovery of the "Thing" in the seal of the United States and the findings of the Church Committee of domestic spying in the U.S. by our intelligence agencies such as COINTEL and MKULTRA.

It's definitely all very interesting and if you ever get a chance if you have not seen this before, look up Operation Northwoods.

I purchased Snowden's book "Permanent Record". I've only read a couple of chapters but the esteem in which I held him increased as I got a glimpse into his life and what he was dealing with. I know a lot of people consider him a traitor to the U.S but you can't exactly ask the person who is abusing you to help you escape their abuse.

To what end?

Certainly not the enactment of unwarranted, misguided government regulation.

If this should happen in the United States, we’ll do what conservatives always say: if workers don’t like home surveillance they’re at liberty to find employment elsewhere.
There is software that can monitor and/or record the end-user's activity. In fact in almost every company that I've worked in the last decade or so, we had to acknowledge that we're aware that our activities on the computer are monitored and by continuing, you're giving consent to be monitored. You additionally acknowledge you have no expectation of privacy while on your employer's computer, network, equipment, etc.

Maybe call center work is different but why they need cameras in one's home to see the desk where you are working on what's on is beyond me. I took a Microsoft certification exam remotely ONLY because they had stopped allowing in person exams due to COVID and it's very intrusive in order to do all they can to ensure you are not and can not cheat on the exam.

Employers believe otherwise.

You’re on the clock and supposed to be working – you’re not being paid to do the laundry or bake bread.
If you can take calls and handle them competently while you're doing the laundry or baking bread, what's the problem? Is it more important that the worker be always doing approved activities or that the worker get the job done within acceptable guidelines?

This raises another problem. Can a company punish you for having, let's say, a collection of Playboy centerfolds on the walls of YOUR home, which is in view of those cameras? Suppose it's evidence of not so popular political views?

This raises another problem. Can a company punish you for having, let's say, a collection of Playboy centerfolds on the walls of YOUR home, which is in view of those cameras? Suppose it's evidence of not so popular political views?
We have seen children and families get in trouble for having a BB gun visible behind the student in distance learning, so the precedent is set. That being said, it would likely come down to whether or not that camera feed would ever be visible by another employee. If so, then it would be an HR issue as a hostile work environment. If visible by a customer, absolutely they would get in trouble.

We have seen children and families get in trouble for having a BB gun visible behind the student in distance learning, so the precedent is set. That being said, it would likely come down to whether or not that camera feed would ever be visible by another employee. If so, then it would be an HR issue as a hostile work environment. If visible by a customer, absolutely they would get in trouble.
I'm working from home, if they require a camera it's not my home anymore

I'm working from home, if they require a camera it's not my home anymore
The key is that you are WORKING from home. The company can make the case that they are responsible for where you are working. Think of it this way. If you are on the clock answering phones and you spin around too fast in your chair, fall out of your chair and smack your head on the corner of your desk, who is responsible for your ER bill to get stitches? If you expect the company to pay the bill, where you work is no longer just your home, it is your office and they can dictate what's in it. I was working at Circuit City when working from home first became a possibility for IT personnel. In order to get permission to work from home, you had to show that you had a fully outfitted office with a door and you were not allowed to take care of children while you were working. Things have relaxed since then, but the matter of worker's comp is still an issue. If you insist it's your home and not your office, then you would need to assume responsibility for injuries suffered while on the job.

It must suck to have a job like that. I wont work at a job that micro manages you. With the technology we have today there is no reason not to treat people like professionals.

This all takes me to another topic about your employer being allowed to mandate getting the vaccine. Many on the left are saying if you don't want the vax, then find another job. The employer is giving you the option. I forget if you were part of that topic or not, but just out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about being on camera during working hours at home?

This all takes me to another topic about your employer being allowed to mandate getting the vaccine. Many on the left are saying if you don't want the vax, then find another job. The employer is giving you the option. I forget if you were part of that topic or not, but just out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about being on camera during working hours at home?
Yep. It's the same basic scenario. People try to claim that employers are "forcing" these things on employees, but they're not. Employment is voluntary. All you have to say is, "no".

This type of oversight is unnecessary in my opinion, though I will admit that doing the type of work I and my team do is very different that working in a call center. It's is easy to track the work we do because we use a ticketing system and I'm pretty sure that most if not all call centers record their employees calls.

I think they could do this without cameras in their homes unless that is just a pretext, which I wouldn't put past any of them.
Exactly where my mind went -can’t they track how much work they’re doing at home on the clock, just as you mentioned with tickets or if not they need to come up with a similar tracking system. There should be another solution without requiring cameras.

This type of oversight is unnecessary in my opinion, though I will admit that doing the type of work I and my team do is very different that working in a call center. It's is easy to track the work we do because we use a ticketing system and I'm pretty sure that most if not all call centers record their employees calls.

I think they could do this without cameras in their homes unless that is just a pretext, which I wouldn't put past any of them.
I have been working in call centers for many years, and working from home started some time ago as incentive for top performers, saving gas and having to drive, etc. Measuring at home performance has always been easy because of existing technology.....you know when person logs in and signs on, when they are on a call and when not, how long each call takes, recordings of each call, and so on. And each CSR has to meet specific KPIs. You don't need cameras when you can track screen movements already. If someone was goofing off they would miss meeting their KPIs.

Forum List

Back