Artificial intelligence? I think I like it.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016

A robot is teaching me to write.

I am saving a lot of money by teaching myself to write with artificial intelligence. There is a program that I bought for my computer that has an editor feature without pulse or opinion. Normally I would have to pay someone at a college to judge samples of my writing and give me a grade. It would be an expensive grade and I would have to inconvenience myself by going to classes. Now, thanks to technology, I can sit right here and write comfortably without distractions or anxiety. I like it, and any sadness I feel for professionals that teach writing in a college setting can be measured in microns.

I have discovered through artificial intelligence that writing must flow and be easily understood by a range of readers that are persuaded by what you say, not how you say it. Word knowledge is important, but fifty cent words are no good in a world where people live on dimes and nickels. Changing an opinion or swaying a point of view is an arduous task and it is not made easier by showing readers that you are smarter than they are. By the way, let’s not forget that I am learning this from a robot not a person working for a college or university that is telling me what to learn not how to learn. I know that we are in the infancy of artificial intelligence, and it could go terribly awry in the future, but right now I feel empowered by it.

What is it we do when we write? The simple answer is that something that originates is our minds can enter the minds of others through a medium of symbology. Everyone can feel, but it is hard to paint those feelings on a canvas for others to contemplate. Writing is energy that we can emit onto a cosmic screen that will endure long after we cease to exist in a physical form. Archeologists and anthropologists are still finding ancient cuneiform tablets that give us insights into human antiquity. Neurons that fired in the brain of a working citizen in Mesopotamia are clearly sculpted into dried clay from a time well before our time. But even those examples are likely hundreds of thousands of years later than the earliest writing.

We as humans are the only life on this planet that is truly self-aware, and the science of biochemistry is revealing that we are unique here in cosmological terms. There is a record in our DNA that is becoming better understood rapidly and it shows us that we think differently than all the other life forms. Dogs don’t write, dolphins don’t write, birds don’t write. Animals here that are made of the same basic stuff as us can communicate but they lack something we have, imagination. Example: I was going to use a stale phrase of dialect”- leaps and bounds”, but the robot told me not to. It reduced my writing score until I corrected bedridden terminology with something more genuinely proper for our time and place in history. My imagination allowed me to understand that the robot is the product of knowledge that came from actual people that have already been paid; no need for me to pay them again.

Ray Bradbury, Mark Twain, George Bernard Shaw, Jack Kerouac, Earnest Hemingway, are all in that robot and they may as well be sitting beside me with pointers as I write this. Artificial intelligence certainly has its merits as the right tool for the right job in contemporary society. AI has taken the toil out of writing and more of us should be doing it.

Ray

There is a program that I bought for my computer that has an editor feature without pulse or opinion.​
It's the opinion that teaches you how to write. Without that, Ray, all you are getting is one person's homogenized idea of what they like in writing.

I have discovered through artificial intelligence that writing must flow and be easily understood by a range of readers that are persuaded by what you say,​
Any decent book will tell you that.

Ray Bradbury, Mark Twain, George Bernard Shaw, Jack Kerouac, Earnest Hemingway, are all in that robot​
Or at least someone's canned idea of who they think these people are. I'd much rather have the real Samuel Clemens and all the opinions he is willing to share.

Last edited:

I am saving a lot of money by teaching myself to write with artificial intelligence. There is a program that I bought for my computer that has an editor feature without pulse or opinion. Normally I would have to pay someone at a college to judge samples of my writing and give me a grade. It would be an expensive grade and I would have to inconvenience myself by going to classes. Now, thanks to technology, I can sit right here and write comfortably without distractions or anxiety. I like it, and any sadness I feel for professionals that teach writing in a college setting can be measured in microns.

I have discovered through artificial intelligence that writing must flow and be easily understood by a range of readers that are persuaded by what you say, not how you say it. Word knowledge is important, but fifty cent words are no good in a world where people live on dimes and nickels. Changing an opinion or swaying a point of view is an arduous task and it is not made easier by showing readers that you are smarter than they are. By the way, let’s not forget that I am learning this from a robot not a person working for a college or university that is telling me what to learn not how to learn. I know that we are in the infancy of artificial intelligence, and it could go terribly awry in the future, but right now I feel empowered by it.

What is it we do when we write? The simple answer is that something that originates is our minds can enter the minds of others through a medium of symbology. Everyone can feel, but it is hard to paint those feelings on a canvas for others to contemplate. Writing is energy that we can emit onto a cosmic screen that will endure long after we cease to exist in a physical form. Archeologists and anthropologists are still finding ancient cuneiform tablets that give us insights into human antiquity. Neurons that fired in the brain of a working citizen in Mesopotamia are clearly sculpted into dried clay from a time well before our time. But even those examples are likely hundreds of thousands of years later than the earliest writing.

We as humans are the only life on this planet that is truly self-aware, and the science of biochemistry is revealing that we are unique here in cosmological terms. There is a record in our DNA that is becoming better understood rapidly and it shows us that we think differently than all the other life forms. Dogs don’t write, dolphins don’t write, birds don’t write. Animals here that are made of the same basic stuff as us can communicate but they lack something we have, imagination. Example: I was going to use a stale phrase of dialect”- leaps and bounds”, but the robot told me not to. It reduced my writing score until I corrected bedridden terminology with something more genuinely proper for our time and place in history. My imagination allowed me to understand that the robot is the product of knowledge that came from actual people that have already been paid; no need for me to pay them again.

Ray Bradbury, Mark Twain, George Bernard Shaw, Jack Kerouac, Earnest Hemingway, are all in that robot and they may as well be sitting beside me with pointers as I write this. Artificial intelligence certainly has its merits as the right tool for the right job in contemporary society. AI has taken the toil out of writing and more of us should be doing it.

Ray
Once that AI gets your traits down Ray you won't have to write at all.

AI controlled robots learning to fight. At first they can't even body block each other, but after a billion attempts, they get pretty good.

1633141811481.png

I believe Roger Zelazny wrote a short story about how his home computer gained sentience then murdered him and took his place by simply working at home writing stories for him, paying all the bills on line, and ordering upgrades for itself online.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Ray
Not true. Spiders can write.
1633144186225.png

I predict that AI will replace college in a generation.

1633148598783.png

The original seed of today's college professor.

Forum List

Back