Carrie Fisher...her battle with mental health.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Interesting to read, and sad to boot. But it may help others who were in the same hell she was. I know my friend battled it too. Carol Burnett's niece by marriage, although she was not a celeb...just related to them. Many of her relatives were in the biz, and she told me of her own struggles which still battles today. I'm going to send her this link too.

(Found on twitter).

I get it, but why does everything always have to be about some proposed unfairness or form of "ism's".
She lamented about ageism in Hollywood... sure... but not for those who have talent.
Carrie Fisher got lucky. She won the freaking lottery... she just happened to be picked for a movie that became the biggest franchise in movie history.
Without Star Wars, Carrie may have never got beyond a few commercials. She wasn't talented. She was a decent actress, of the MANY decent actors in Hollywood. What she defined as ageism, was really her own lack of star power.
Sounds cruel, and I don't mean it to be. But a great many people with depression and the resulting addictions that often accompany it... the source of it all is mixed well with a distorted sense of reality in the base.

Just sayin.

I feel like a horrible person for saying this but people with a bipolar diagnosis drive me insane. I have a low tolerance for bullshit and these people can be really mean to others and instigate fights with everyone around them. Well known for engaging in risky behavior.

That said, I am grateful that I do not have to tango with this mental illness personally. I can't imagine having to deal with that level of depression in the drop and trying to put my life back together.

First they have to wade through medication trying to find the right cocktail of medication and then it changes when you age and you have to start over again. That's after a couple of rounds of feeling fantastic with the medication and deciding that you really don't need it any more.

Last edited:
Interesting to read, and sad to boot. But it may help others who were in the same hell she was. I know my friend battled it too. Carol Burnett's niece by marriage, although she was not a celeb...just related to them. Many of her relatives were in the biz, and she told me of her own struggles which still battles today. I'm going to send her this link too.

(Found on twitter).

I would rather remember Carrie Fisher as a fine actress. As for the rest....we're all battling some kind of demons in our lives. Let her rest in peace.

I feel like a horrible person for saying this but people with a bipolar diagnosis drive me insane. I have a low tolerance for bullshit and these people can be really mean to others and instigate fights with everyone around them. Well known for engaging in risky behavior.

That said, I am grateful that I do not have to tango with this mental illness personally. I can't imagine having to deal with that level of depression in the drop and trying to put my life back together.

First they have to wade through medication trying to find the right cocktail of medication and then it changes when you age and you have to start over again. That's after a couple of rounds of feeling fantastic with the medication and deciding that you really don't need it any more.
Saying the truth, including when that truth is ugly.... doesn't make you ugly.
It simply means you have the intelligence and willingness to see it, not excuse it, and not avoid it.
And you are the better person because of that.

Coke.png

It simply means you have the intelligence and willingness to see it, not excuse it, and not avoid it.
Thank you.

Thank you.
Quite welcome... there needs to be a lot more people doing it.

Miss Fisher obviously suffered from some mental problems, but lets be honest. If she wasn't rich and famous, nobody would be shedding any tears for her. She would have been just one more person who was hard to get along with and you couldn't depend on. We all know lots of them.

Miss Fisher obviously suffered from some mental problems, but lets be honest. If she wasn't rich and famous, nobody would be shedding any tears for her. She would have been just one more person who was hard to get along with and you couldn't depend on. We all know lots of them.
Well said. And perhaps more succinct than my post of saying basically the same thing.
At the time of her passing Carrie was worth $25,000,000.
It is difficult to feel sorry for someone who was given a gift that literally .00001% of the population has.
She made a massive fortune, and only worked a few months to make it. Not even Warren Buffet makes that much money.
It is true, money can't buy happiness, but it can make everything in your life easier and more possible/accessible. But she chose to ignore all of the amazing gifts she had to lament on imaginary outrages.

Well said. And perhaps more succinct than my post of saying basically the same thing.
At the time of her passing Carrie was worth $25,000,000.
It is difficult to feel sorry for someone who was given a gift that literally .00001% of the population has.
She made a massive fortune, and only worked a few months to make it. Not even Warren Buffet makes that much money.
It is true, money can't buy happiness, but it can make everything in your life easier and more possible/accessible. But she chose to ignore all of the amazing gifts she had to lament on imaginary outrages.

Oh, her outrages were real. It's just that with millions of dollars in her pocket, she was shielded from all the usual outrages that normal people face every day. What we see as immaterial was the worst affront that she had to face.

I just saw, in my firefox pockets, a couple days ago an article (I didn't read because I've read parts of it before) about Jamie Lee Curtis and her addiction problems- BFD- life is a bitch and then you marry one- get over yourself and your celebrity/fame seeking status, you ain't special, just unique, as is EVERY human-

I get so tired of celebrity causes, (addiction, gay, lesbian, woke, political, whatever)- and the insistence they be foisted on us as something special- it appears to me, that they live in a bubble of their choosing then complain about it - with all the information available, even before the internet, about the cost of being a celebrity they might want to reconsider their plight that they chose- geezus- I don't feel sorry for them, but I do feel sorry that people who aren't celebrities put so much store by celebrities- that is sad.

Fisher and the likes use all kinds of illicit drugs because the US healthcare industry puts endless gate keepers to getting the one that they need. For example the most common amerucan deceased is anxiety. But do you find an anxiety medication in any farmacy? Of course not. For that you have to go to hundred tests and hundred doctors each billing insurance. So no wonder. The industry continues.

Forum List

Back