Canadian "scholar of violent conflict" Thomas Homer-Dixon predicts Trump is re-elected in 2024 & US becomes a dictatorship and a threat to Canada

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
The opinion in the Canadian newspaper by Thomas Homer-Dixon, a political scientist, stating that Canada must prepare for America becoming an authoritarian state made me want to cry and rage simultaneously. This country has fallen unimaginably far. The world is watching.

excerpts:

We mustn’t dismiss these possibilities just because they seem ludicrous or too horrible to imagine. In 2014, the suggestion that Donald Trump would become president would also have struck nearly everyone as absurd. But today we live in a world where the absurd regularly becomes real and the horrible commonplace.

I’m a scholar of violent conflict. For more than 40 years, I’ve studied and published on the causes of war, social breakdown, revolution, ethnic violence and genocide, and for nearly two decades I led a centre on peace and conflict studies at the University of Toronto.

Today, as I watch the unfolding crisis in the United States, I see a political and social landscape flashing with warning signals.

I’m not surprised by what’s happening there – not at all. During my graduate work in the United States in the 1980s, I sometimes listened to Rush Limbaugh, the right-wing radio talk show host and later television personality. I remarked to friends at the time that, with each broadcast, it was if Mr. Limbaugh were wedging the sharp end of a chisel into a faint crack in the moral authority of U.S. political institutions, and then slamming the other end of that chisel with a hammer.

In the decades since, week after week, year after year, Mr. Limbaugh and his fellow travelers have hammered away – their blows’ power lately amplified through social media and outlets such as Fox News and Newsmax. The cracks have steadily widened, ramified, connected and propagated deeply into America’s once-esteemed institutions, profoundly compromising their structural integrity. The country is becoming increasingly ungovernable, and some experts believe it could descend into civil war

Two other material factors are key. The first is demographic: as immigration, aging, intermarriage and a decline in church-going have reduced the percentage of non-Hispanic white Christians in America, right-wing ideologues have inflamed fears that traditional U.S. culture is being erased and whites are being “replaced.” The second is pervasive elite selfishness: The wealthy and powerful in America are broadly unwilling to pay the taxes, invest in the public services, or create the avenues for vertical mobility that would lessen their country’s economic, educational, racial and geographic gaps. The more an under-resourced government can’t solve everyday problems, the more people give up on it, and the more they turn to their own resources and their narrow identity groups for safety.

Last edited:
The opinion in the Canadian newspaper by Thomas Homer-Dixon, a political scientist, stating that Canada must prepare for America becoming an authoritarian state made me want to cry and rage simultaneously. This country has fallen unimaginably far. The world is watching.

excerpts:

We mustn’t dismiss these possibilities just because they seem ludicrous or too horrible to imagine. In 2014, the suggestion that Donald Trump would become president would also have struck nearly everyone as absurd. But today we live in a world where the absurd regularly becomes real and the horrible commonplace.

I’m a scholar of violent conflict. For more than 40 years, I’ve studied and published on the causes of war, social breakdown, revolution, ethnic violence and genocide, and for nearly two decades I led a centre on peace and conflict studies at the University of Toronto.

Today, as I watch the unfolding crisis in the United States, I see a political and social landscape flashing with warning signals.

This is my fear. Republicans know how to steal elections and act like they didn’t. 2000, 2004 and trump tried it in 20

So a whackjob leftwing "political scientist" has paranoid delusions.

What else is new?

If he's that worried about Authoritarianism, he should take a more critical look at Trudeau.

excerpts:

I’m not surprised by what’s happening there – not at all. During my graduate work in the United States in the 1980s, I sometimes listened to Rush Limbaugh, the right-wing radio talk show host and later television personality. I remarked to friends at the time that, with each broadcast, it was if Mr. Limbaugh were wedging the sharp end of a chisel into a faint crack in the moral authority of U.S. political institutions, and then slamming the other end of that chisel with a hammer.

In the decades since, week after week, year after year, Mr. Limbaugh and his fellow travelers have hammered away – their blows’ power lately amplified through social media and outlets such as Fox News and Newsmax. The cracks have steadily widened, ramified, connected and propagated deeply into America’s once-esteemed institutions, profoundly compromising their structural integrity. The country is becoming increasingly ungovernable, and some experts believe it could descend into civil war

Two other material factors are key. The first is demographic: as immigration, aging, intermarriage and a decline in church-going have reduced the percentage of non-Hispanic white Christians in America, right-wing ideologues have inflamed fears that traditional U.S. culture is being erased and whites are being “replaced.” The second is pervasive elite selfishness: The wealthy and powerful in America are broadly unwilling to pay the taxes, invest in the public services, or create the avenues for vertical mobility that would lessen their country’s economic, educational, racial and geographic gaps. The more an under-resourced government can’t solve everyday problems, the more people give up on it, and the more they turn to their own resources and their narrow identity groups for safety.

Did this mute donkey in Canaduh happen to take notice of what his own government was doing to his own countrymen, just a month ago?

Or of the fact that Trump, as President, was both preceded and succeeded by Presidents who actually have attempted to rule as dictators, by executive order, bypassing Congress, while Trump was only falsely accused of wishing to do so?

Canaduh is surely set up, by this point, to fall into a complete tyrannical dictatorship. But if it does, it will do so from within; and if they try to point fingers of blame at America for their fall, we will just laugh at them and mock them for their own stupidity.

If we do, then it is only because we saw what the Democraps pulled off, and got away with, in 2020.
No it would be because you get away with what you didn’t get away with last time.

It wasn’t us asking georgia to find more votes.

It wasn’t us who tried to get Mike pence to pull a shady move he didn’t have the power to pull.

Mail in voting helped us. We won’t have it next time.

Nice try. Wrong! In fact a lot of republicans wish he’d go away too. Not because he was fighting for you dummy

You're just bummed that he was a far better President than the drooling vegetable who now occupies the White House in body only.

excerpts:

Dixon, who? What has this freak done to be newsworthy besides give you a hard on?

This is my fear. Republicans know how to steal elections and act like they didn’t. 2000, 2004 and trump tried it in 20
Damn some people are just funny as hell. All the left wing loons are claiming there is no voter fraud, no need for voter ID. And yet you claim the right has stoen elections.
And the left wonders why those of us in the middle think they are crazy and incompetent

Forum List

Back