Cain tax plan shifts tax burden from the rich to the poor

You're right. And the unfairness of that is what exactly?
raising taxes on the middle class....50% of America....

Are you for raising taxes?

I'm for the 47% of Americans who currently pay no taxes actually paying something.

there is no 47% that pays no taxes, there is 45% that owes no federal income taxes, but by no means are they living in our country tax free.

I am for all of the thousands of people that make more than 50k to multi millions, that paid zero in income taxes to pay taxes and perhaps some of the child tax credit amounts out there could be reduced down to cover some more of the people making under 50k that do not owe income taxes, to owe some income taxes.

But in no way shape or form, do I think it is a good idea to raise income taxes on 50% -60% of americans, and THIS is What Cain's plan does.

Cain's plan raises taxes on the middle class and reduces taxes on the very wealthiest in the Nation....sorry, that is UNETHICAL in my book Bern...extremely unethical....

I'm for the 47% of Americans who currently pay no taxes actually paying something.

there is no 47% that pays no taxes, there is 45% that owes no federal income taxes, but by no means are they living in our country tax free.

I am for all of the thousands of people that make more than 50k to multi millions, that paid zero in income taxes to pay taxes and perhaps some of the child tax credit amounts out there could be reduced down to cover some more of the people making under 50k that do not owe income taxes, to owe some income taxes.

But in no way shape or form, do I think it is a good idea to raise income taxes on 50% -60% of americans, and THIS is What Cain's plan does.

Cain's plan raises taxes on the middle class and reduces taxes on the very wealthiest in the Nation....sorry, that is UNETHICAL in my book Bern...extremely unethical....

Sorry to break it to you, but if my Sate & Federal tax liability is $0... and worse my liability is -$0 (EIC transfer payments), and everything I purchase (and pay sales tax on) is paid for with taxpayer assistance, I am paying no taxes and thus, living tax free.

PERIOD.

Last edited:
because right now, nearly the first 10k per person is tax exempt, with the standard deduction and personal exemption.

NO ONE NOW pays any taxes on the first 10 k they earn, $20k is exempt on a couple with no children, and with children even more.....

and also, the lowest tax bracket is 10% NOT 15%, and anything made over and above the 10k that is tax exempted is taxed at 10%, up to about 8k i believe, then above that, your money is taxed at 15%, up to about 50k i believe....

so 50%-60% of Americans would see a tax HIKE, BIG TIME, if his plan goes through, while the wealthiest would see a HUGE TAX REDUCTION.

THERE IS NO WAY AROUND IT! that's what his tax does.

The argument is a bit more nuances than that. I am against giving government more money. I am FOR a tax code that is fair and treats everyone the same in order to get government the money it does need. Some people's taxes will go down and some will go up in making our currently unfair tax code, fair. Obviously if you have little to know tax liability now, a lack of liability that millions of americans currently enjoy, your taxes will go up, which I have no problem with.

Sorry to break it to you, but if my Sate & Federal tax liability is $0... and worse my liability is -$0 (EIC transfer payments), and everything I purchase (and pay sales tax on) is paid for with taxpayer assistance, I am paying no taxes and thus, living tax free.

PERIOD.
so, in order to collect more income taxes from the poorest, you want to raise the taxes on the middle class, and lower them on the wealthiest.....? that is what Cain's plan does....Sorry charlie, that's a no go, from the get go! It ain't happening and it will never happen....that might as well be accepted now....Cain's plan will NEVER be accepted.

Only 9% of all tax payers receive more than they give, (this comes from a link of Toro's earlier in the thread) in federal taxes.

the 45% is those that owe no fed income tax.....but by no means does this mean they pay no federal taxes, they pay federal with holding payroll taxes, which the surpluses of this money has been used in the budget to mask the income tax shortage in the budget. They pay federal gasoline taxes and federal cigarette taxes if they smoke that pays for SCHIP, the health care of someone elses child....they pay a good portion of the corporate taxes on ALL of the products they buy, cuz the corporate taxes are incorporated in to the price of the product for the most part....they pay all federal and state licensing fees...then on top of all that, they pay their state income, sales and property taxes....if renting, then they pay in rent to cover the property taxes of the owner....

I agree we can reduce the 45% down, but i would start with the millionaires not paying any taxes on their income, and then start with those that make over 200k a year and pay no fed income taxes and then those making over a 100k a year who do not pay any federal income taxes and then to those making over 50k a year who pay no fed income taxes BEFORE I would ever raise the taxes on the lower end of our society.

PERIOD.
so, in order to collect more income taxes from the poorest, you want to raise the taxes on the middle class, and lower them on the wealthiest.....? that is what Cain's plan does....Sorry charlie, that's a no go, from the get go! It ain't happening and it will never happen....that might as well be accepted now....Cain's plan will NEVER be accepted.

Only 9% of all tax payers receive more than they give, (this comes from a link of Toro's earlier in the thread) in federal taxes.

the 45% is those that owe no fed income tax.....but by no means does this mean they pay no federal taxes, they pay federal with holding payroll taxes, which the surpluses of this money has been used in the budget to mask the income tax shortage in the budget. They pay federal gasoline taxes and federal cigarette taxes if they smoke that pays for SCHIP, the health care of someone elses child....they pay a good portion of the corporate taxes on ALL of the products they buy, cuz the corporate taxes are incorporated in to the price of the product for the most part....they pay all federal and state licensing fees...then on top of all that, they pay their state income, sales and property taxes....if renting, then they pay in rent to cover the property taxes of the owner....

I agree we can reduce the 45% down, but i would start with the millionaires not paying any taxes on their income, and then start with those that make over 200k a year and pay no fed income taxes and then those making over a 100k a year who do not pay any federal income taxes and then to those making over 50k a year who pay no fed income taxes BEFORE I would ever raise the taxes on the lower end of our society.

Then just as you accussed me of being for raising taxes, it is fair to say you really aren't interested in a fair tax code are you.

PERIOD.

Then just as you accussed me of being for raising taxes, it is fair to say you really aren't interested in a fair tax code are you.
I DO NOT see a progressive tax as unfair....every one pays the SAME TAXES on the same amount of taxable income....when i was young and made very little, I paid none or very little...as my income grew, I still paid NONE on the first 10k, but then over that amount, I owed a marginal rate tax, and when I reached the next bracket, I paid the same amount on my lower income as those that only made this lower income, but the money above that, I then owed what that tax bracket required in a marginal rate....

EVERYONE pays the same rate for the taxable money made in specific brackets....that's fair imo.

the problem comes, with all the deductions and and tax credits.... I am for modifying this....

I also could accept a flat tax, as long as the initial 10k per person standard deduction is allowed for everyone as a deduction before the flat rate starts. then you would NOT be raising taxes on the poor or the middle class....or at least not as much as Cain's

I meant federal income tax and should have been more specific in my post.....although it is commonly understood that the income tax is what liberals want to raise for those "millionaires" making more than $200K per year. The article I've posted below is far to long to post in it's entirety. I wish I could because I know most people with your mind set will just blow past it and never read it. It explains with facts from the government CBO and IRS the fallacies of Obama's "fair share" rhetoric. I do hope you read it.

Correcting President Obama's Myriad Tax Fallacies - Forbes

........"Now we see President Barack Obama engaged in this same game regarding federal tax policy and financing for a so-called jobs plan based on the same Keynesian theory that he just proved fallacious yet again, as has been proved over and over since the 1930s. Campaigning for reelection on Monday, Obama said:

“Middle-class families shouldn’t pay higher tax rates than millionaires and billionaires. That’s pretty straightforward. It’s hard to argue against that. Warren Buffet’s secretary shouldn’t pay a higher tax rate than Warren Buffett. There is no justification for it. It is wrong that in the United States of America, a teacher or a nurse or a construction worker who earns $50,000 should pay higher tax rates than somebody pulling in $50 million. Anybody who says we can’t change the tax code to correct that….They should have to defend that unfairness—explain why somebody who’s making $50 million a year in the financial markets should be paying 15 percent on their taxes, when a teacher making $50,000 a year is paying more than that—paying a higher rate. They ought to have to answer for it.
Let me explain it to you, Mr. President. The truth is that the unfairness you discuss is a fantasy. The facts are just the opposite.

Even before you were elected, Mr. President, under the tax policies adopted by President Reagan, House Speaker Newt Gingrich and the much vilified President George Bush, official IRS data for 2007 showed that the top 1% of income earners paid more in federal income taxes than the bottom 95% combined! The top 1% of income earners that year earned 22% of income but paid 40.4% of total income taxes. When Reagan became president, the top 1% paid 17.4% of income taxes, as I note in my recent book, America’s Ticking Bankruptcy Bomb. As Jack Kemp used to say, if you want to soak the rich, cut tax rates. Moreover, nearly the entire bottom 50% of income earners now pay no federal income tax on net as a group.

So if “the rich” are not paying their fair share, Mr. President, what would that fair share be? Based on these official facts, for you to run around the country telling America that we could have jobs and balance the budget and solve the debt crisis you are creating if the rich would just pay their fair share of taxes only demonstrates that you fundamentally do not understand the country that was so generous and kindhearted to elect you President without really knowing you.

As the Wall Street Journal further explained Tuesday, in 2008 official IRS data showed that taxpayers earning over $1 million paid an average federal income tax rate of 23.3%. Those earning between $500,000 and $1 million paid an average federal tax rate of 24.1%. As the Journal further elaborated, “that is more than twice the 8.9% average rate paid by those earning between $50,000 and $100,000, and more than three times the 7.2% average rate paid by those earning less than $50,000. The larger point is that the claim that CEOs are routinely paying lower rates than their secretaries is Omaha hokum.”"...........

I meant federal income tax and should have been more specific in my post.....although it is commonly understood that the income tax is what liberals want to raise for those "millionaires" making more than $200K per year. The article I've posted below is far to long to post in it's entirety. I wish I could because I know most people with your mind set will just blow past it and never read it. It explains with facts from the government CBO and IRS the fallacies of Obama's "fair share" rhetoric. I do hope you read it.

Correcting President Obama's Myriad Tax Fallacies - Forbes

........"Now we see President Barack Obama engaged in this same game regarding federal tax policy and financing for a so-called jobs plan based on the same Keynesian theory that he just proved fallacious yet again, as has been proved over and over since the 1930s. Campaigning for reelection on Monday, Obama said:

“Middle-class families shouldn’t pay higher tax rates than millionaires and billionaires. That’s pretty straightforward. It’s hard to argue against that. Warren Buffet’s secretary shouldn’t pay a higher tax rate than Warren Buffett. There is no justification for it. It is wrong that in the United States of America, a teacher or a nurse or a construction worker who earns $50,000 should pay higher tax rates than somebody pulling in $50 million. Anybody who says we can’t change the tax code to correct that….They should have to defend that unfairness—explain why somebody who’s making $50 million a year in the financial markets should be paying 15 percent on their taxes, when a teacher making $50,000 a year is paying more than that—paying a higher rate. They ought to have to answer for it.
Let me explain it to you, Mr. President. The truth is that the unfairness you discuss is a fantasy. The facts are just the opposite.

Even before you were elected, Mr. President, under the tax policies adopted by President Reagan, House Speaker Newt Gingrich and the much vilified President George Bush, official IRS data for 2007 showed that the top 1% of income earners paid more in federal income taxes than the bottom 95% combined! The top 1% of income earners that year earned 22% of income but paid 40.4% of total income taxes. When Reagan became president, the top 1% paid 17.4% of income taxes, as I note in my recent book, America’s Ticking Bankruptcy Bomb. As Jack Kemp used to say, if you want to soak the rich, cut tax rates. Moreover, nearly the entire bottom 50% of income earners now pay no federal income tax on net as a group.

So if “the rich” are not paying their fair share, Mr. President, what would that fair share be? Based on these official facts, for you to run around the country telling America that we could have jobs and balance the budget and solve the debt crisis you are creating if the rich would just pay their fair share of taxes only demonstrates that you fundamentally do not understand the country that was so generous and kindhearted to elect you President without really knowing you.

As the Wall Street Journal further explained Tuesday, in 2008 official IRS data showed that taxpayers earning over $1 million paid an average federal income tax rate of 23.3%. Those earning between $500,000 and $1 million paid an average federal tax rate of 24.1%. As the Journal further elaborated, “that is more than twice the 8.9% average rate paid by those earning between $50,000 and $100,000, and more than three times the 7.2% average rate paid by those earning less than $50,000. The larger point is that the claim that CEOs are routinely paying lower rates than their secretaries is Omaha hokum.”"...........
sorry about calling you Bern, kwc....oops! :eek:

the Democratic plan to raise taxes is now to those making over a million in taxable income and it is to raise the taxes only on the amount over the million. they dropped their push for the 250k and higher, and thank goodness they did! I have never considered the 250k group as the wealthiest and was against taxing more those who make 250k....especially in this cruddy economy....

The plan would never in a million years pass, but if it did I think that a consumption tax on food (i think his plan taxes food) would, i would imagine really hurt the poor, especially considering they pay no taxes now.

I am in favor of a VAT tax, but only if it eliminates the income and payroll tax all together, and instead of all these free subsides for buisness, incentivise donating to charities that feed the poor...

I DO NOT see a progressive tax as unfair....every one pays the SAME TAXES on the same amount of taxable income....when i was young and made very little, I paid none or very little...as my income grew, I still paid NONE on the first 10k, but then over that amount, I owed a marginal rate tax, and when I reached the next bracket, I paid the same amount on my lower income as those that only made this lower income, but the money above that, I then owed what that tax bracket required in a marginal rate....

EVERYONE pays the same rate for the taxable money made in specific brackets....that's fair imo.

the problem comes, with all the deductions and and tax credits.... I am for modifying this....

I also could accept a flat tax, as long as the initial 10k per person standard deduction is allowed for everyone as a deduction before the flat rate starts. then you would NOT be raising taxes on the poor or the middle class....or at least not as much as Cain's

Your opinion doesn't matter Care. A tax code that treats people differently depending on how much money they make fits no defintion of fair that I know of. If a new tax bracket starts at say 200k and person makes 250k only that 50k is taxed at the highest rate, I get that. But what incentive is there to make more money if the government essentially says the more you make the bigger the chunk I'm gonna take?

Last edited:

Why does everyone who answers the question 'yes' not simply say 'yes, I'm for raising taxes on the poor, the low income workers, the unemployed' ??

Why does everyone who answers the question 'yes' not simply say 'yes, I'm for raising taxes on the poor, the low income workers, the unemployed' ??

Looks to me like plenty here, including myself, already are. If you aren't paying any taxes, which certain members of 'the poor' do not, then said people with said liability of nothing should indeed have their tax liability raised to something.

You are so transparent NY. You thought none of us would have the nerve to admit to wanting o raise taxes on poor people. That if we actually had to write it out we would be ashamed of it? Sorry, I'm not ashamed to ask those who contribute nothing in taxes to start contributing something.

Last edited:

Because I'm not in favor of raising taxes period. I'm in favor of those who don't pay anything getting some skin in the game. Is that a raise for that subset of citizens? Yes, BUT......they've been riding the gravy train for a long time for free.

Disclaimer - I'm talking about income tax, not all the other taxes we ALL pay.

Maybe it's time for the poor and middle class to be burdened with higher taxes so they'll know how the rich feel.

Typical Republican...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Herman Cain has a plan to radically reform the nation's tax system and make things a lot simpler for taxpayers.

Problem is, it could end up adding to the deficit and shifting the tax burden away from the wealthy and onto the poor, according to some leading tax experts.

Cain, who's recently moved up in the polls to become one of the leading Republican presidential candidates, is basing much of his campaign on what he calls the 9-9-9 plan, which would get rid of almost all current taxes and replace them with a 9% flat tax on income, a 9% flat corporate tax and a 9% national sales tax.

Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan: Break for the rich? - Oct. 11, 2011

No surprise there. Bush did the same thing. In fact, Bush's plan at the time was to eliminate the tax on capital gains ALL together, thereby shifting the entire tax burden from capital to labor. The right is still trying to make that happen.

Remember that old conservative line that people should pull themselves up by their own boot straps? Well, what these people are trying to do is shorten those boot straps to the point that a person can't even get enough of a grip on them to pull them at all.

One has to wonder something just as a mental exercise. How far do people think George W. Bush would have gotten in life without the money and the pull that his father had? Well, he wouldn't have been able to get into Yale on a legacy scholarship, or the Texas Air National Guard. And he never would have gotten those sweetheart loans to drill for oil (that he never found, by the way). And he never would have been given a minority ownership stake in the Texas Rangers, either. And Governor of Texas and POTUS without his father's name (and face)? Nope!

Maybe it's time for the poor and middle class to be burdened with higher taxes so they'll know how the rich feel.

I'm betting that your taxes are chump change compared to what Buffett, Jobs or Gates pay each year......but keep believing whatever you want. The question has been asked in multiple threads, but has yet to be answered by anyone.......what is a "fair share"? Define it for us. I can't. But what I can tell you is NOT "fair" is that 45% of Americans pay NO federal income tax at all.

I'm betting that your taxes are chump change compared to what Buffett, Jobs or Gates pay each year......but keep believing whatever you want. The question has been asked in multiple threads, but has yet to be answered by anyone.......what is a "fair share"? Define it for us. I can't. But what I can tell you is NOT "fair" is that 45% of Americans pay NO federal income tax at all.
then remove the tax credits that put them in to an untaxable level, (or pay them more...) .it was at 39%, the recession and Bush tax cuts brought it up to the 45-47% level....if you take all the tax credits for children and/or the EIC away, then thousands will just collect welfare, which wiil be more than what they make working without those credits.....me personally, i'm greatful that they are working and not sitting on their bums collecting welfare....it teaches their kids, something good.

federal income taxes collected barely covers defense spending and is only a tad more than a third, i believe, of the federal taxes collected....

Looks to me like plenty here, including myself, already are. If you aren't paying any taxes, which certain members of 'the poor' do not, then said people with said liability of nothing should indeed have their tax liability raised to something.

You are so transparent NY. You thought none of us would have the nerve to admit to wanting o raise taxes on poor people. That if we actually had to write it out we would be ashamed of it? Sorry, I'm not ashamed to ask those who contribute nothing in taxes to start contributing something.

The fact that one kook like you will say it doesn't disprove my point.

Because I'm not in favor of raising taxes period. I'm in favor of those who don't pay anything getting some skin in the game. Is that a raise for that subset of citizens? Yes, BUT......they've been riding the gravy train for a long time for free.

Disclaimer - I'm talking about income tax, not all the other taxes we ALL pay.

You can't be for someone's tax to go from nothing to something without being for raising taxes.

That is mathematically impossible.

Forum List

Back