Cain: Black community 'brainwashed' into voting for Dems

(I can't find a thread on this yet, so...)

TRENDING: Cain: Black community ‘brainwashed’ into voting for Dems – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain wasn't going to get the nomination anyway, but to me this really feels like a gaffe. Part of that is probably that it reminds me of George Romney's "brainwashing" gaffe (George Romney presidential campaign, 1968 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Obscure historical references aside, Cain's comments seem offensive, and I doubt his own race is going to give him much cover. I think the only acceptable position for a politician asking for votes is to respect the voters, and he failed to do that. Pleading for open-mindedness would have been fine, but he went too far.
He can't get the nomination? Really? Says whom? You?

And he's right...

TRENDING: Cain: Black community ‘brainwashed’ into voting for Dems – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."

Cain wasn't going to get the nomination anyway, but to me this really feels like a gaffe. Part of that is probably that it reminds me of George Romney's "brainwashing" gaffe (George Romney presidential campaign, 1968 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Obscure historical references aside, Cain's comments seem offensive, and I doubt his own race is going to give him much cover. I think the only acceptable position for a politician asking for votes is to respect the voters, and he failed to do that. Pleading for open-mindedness would have been fine, but he went too far.
Good for Cain!:clap2:

It's good to see a successful black man tell it like it truly is.

I am not at all surprised to see comments already popping up attacking Democrats and attacking the Black Community.

I am also not surprised to see NO comments on how Cain or the GOP could benefit the Black Community.

The Democrats aren't perfect, but until the GOP at least TRIES to help the Black Community, African-Americans will continue to favour the Democrats.

I'm curious...what Democratic initiatives do you think have "helped" the Black Community and if they HAVE helped then why is the Black Community in such dire straits? I think the Democrats value the Black Community as a voting block that they can count on to win elections but their policies more often than not end up harming blacks rather than helping them. Good intentions don't always result in good outcomes.

I don't see the parallel with George Romneys flub at all; after all he was saying he may have been brainwashed, not any demographic group, part of which he might need electorally. In fact, it seems to me that instead Cain was challenging black folks to begin thinking for themselves. You must have googled "brainwashed politicians;" not a sign you are thinking very clearly, but that you are looking for a defect in this particular candidate.

He says that he can and will get a large percentage of the black vote, and with the high unemployment and the recent insults delivered by O against them ("get out of your bedroom slippers..., stop complainin' "), they may get the impression that he and the D party take them for granted.

The subsequent rebuke O has received from several CBC members and others outside the caucus may indicate they feel a need to speak up to show they can and actually do think for themselves, if not to warn Obama that he is being too openly dismissive of them, as if he owns them,

Cain is right to assume the community is beginning to see some merit in his brainwashing statement, and begin to look outside their traditional loyalties. They know that O's policies have hurt them more than others, and they may not want anymore of it, ergo Cain.

Last edited:

I am not at all surprised to see comments already popping up attacking Democrats and attacking the Black Community.

I am also not surprised to see NO comments on how Cain or the GOP could benefit the Black Community.

The Democrats aren't perfect, but until the GOP at least TRIES to help the Black Community, African-Americans will continue to favour the Democrats.

I'm curious...what Democratic initiatives do you think have "helped" the Black Community

Ok. This will be fun. I'll name a recent initiative or policy or stance from the Democrats and then you name one for the GOP.

Democrats are pro-choice
Democrats are pro-public education, for free.
Democrats are pro student aid for college students.
Democrats are pro affordable access to health care.

Oops! That's four. Ok. Your turn.

You realize you just made the Democratic party out to be racist while at the same time you made "black people" that vote for Democrats sound dependant and greedy right?

Politicians shouldn’t be trying to win over any race by treating them differently through laws and programs…

I'm curious...what Democratic initiatives do you think have "helped" the Black Community

Ok. This will be fun. I'll name a recent initiative or policy or stance from the Democrats and then you name one for the GOP.

Democrats are pro-choice
Democrats are pro-public education, for free.
Democrats are pro student aid for college students.
Democrats are pro affordable access to health care.

Oops! That's four. Ok. Your turn.

Democrats are Pro not being able to pay for these programs as well... I also like that you just said HC and education are free, so no one pays for it? Really... Or wait, blacks don;t pay for it is what you meant... lol.

Like he was going to get a lot of Black Votes to begin with. he is right, they are brainwashed, or Fooled, what ever you want to call it. They believe Democrats are looking out for them, when the truth is Democrats want to keep Blacks right where they are, struggling and Dependent on Democrats in Office.

Pretty funny watching a Bunch of White Liberals getting offended and Judging a Black man, for what he says about his own Race.
Yeah, you tell 'em. They would be wise to vote for CON$ who think so poorly of them?

December 5, 2007
RUSH: It's ignorance, and we pay a huge price for this. The biggest price we pay for ignorance is electing so damn many Democrats, which is one of the biggest obstacles to progress and success in this country for the individual human being that I have ever encountered. It is ignorance. Devotion to ignorance, bliss, blissful ignorance, is the only explanation for the election of Democrats.

May 1, 2008
RUSH: Democrats continued to get the votes of the majority of black voters. It's just their political allegiance.

The reason for this is because we as black people generally do not like self hating. Cain really thinks he is "in" with the republicans. He needs to open his eyes.

Republicans can now say, one of my best non relevant republican friend is black.

Obama 2012! See my sig.

Herman Cain has earned everything he has in the business world through hard work.
What does being black have to do with any of that?
Time for you to open your eyes and envision a color blind society. You are not quite there yet.

I dont either..but HE WILL NEVER WIN THE REPUBLICAN NOMINATION. Ever! The south already said they will never vote in a mormon, let alone a black man.

Obama 2012!

I live in the South. I don't hear that at all.

You're lying of course.
You sound like you are pretty serious here. Cool. Wanna bulletin board bet Obama will lose in 2012?

See my sig. I will be happy to ad your name to the bet. So far Liability is the only one to man up. (Here is the deal though, if you lose, you can come back with a different name...)

Wanna bet Obama will win or lose?

You know damn well Cain wont be the republican nominee. Two weeks ago, he was going to drop out, this poll made him stay. Two weeks ago, Bachmann was the one! Wha happened?

Jesus, you sound desperate.

Betting on this isn't manning up. Besides.....what are you gonna pay up with if you lose???

I don't give a fuck who the GOP nominee turns out to be.

All I know is even the worst of them would make a better POTUS then the prick currently in the position.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C2CjR-kvVM&feature=related]How is this White Folks Talk? - YouTube[/ame]

Like he was going to get a lot of Black Votes to begin with. he is right, they are brainwashed, or Fooled, what ever you want to call it. They believe Democrats are looking out for them, when the truth is Democrats want to keep Blacks right where they are, struggling and Dependent on Democrats in Office.

Pretty funny watching a Bunch of White Liberals getting offended and Judging a Black man, for what he says about his own Race.
Yeah, you tell 'em. They would be wise to vote for CON$ who think so poorly of them?

December 5, 2007
RUSH: It's ignorance, and we pay a huge price for this. The biggest price we pay for ignorance is electing so damn many Democrats, which is one of the biggest obstacles to progress and success in this country for the individual human being that I have ever encountered. It is ignorance. Devotion to ignorance, bliss, blissful ignorance, is the only explanation for the election of Democrats.

May 1, 2008
RUSH: Democrats continued to get the votes of the majority of black voters. It's just their political allegiance.

Yes its so much better for them to have democrats cheat for the students

The reason for this is because we as black people generally do not like self hating. Cain really thinks he is "in" with the republicans. He needs to open his eyes.

Republicans can now say, one of my best non relevant republican friend is black.

Obama 2012! See my sig.

You sound like peggy bundy...

"self hating"

I think your masochism is in effect right now with your "self hating" 16% unemployment rate is "self hating" no pun of course.

Last edited:

Thats my boy.....I mean homie (i cant seem racist or anything like that)...

he makes some great videos....

I'm pretty certain his black republican ass dating a white woman... Lets find him and put a stop to such "evil things"

A black conservative and a white woman --- ewwwwwew....

<sarcasm> of course...

I love machosauseproductions...

Last edited:

Well said. No brainwashing is involved.
Does one vote for a party sworn to cut off your money?
Do corp supporting republicans vote for dems who want to cut off corporate tax breaks or increase regulations on corporations?

Just kind of a Duhh thing.

TRENDING: Cain: Black community &#8216;brainwashed&#8217; into voting for Dems &#8211; CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I don't see the parallel with George Romneys flub at all; after all he was saying he may have been brainwashed, not any demographic group, part of which he might need electorally. In fact, it seems to me that instead Cain was challenging black folks to begin thinking for themselves. You must have googled "brainwashed politicians;" not a sign you are thinking very clearly, but that you are looking for a defect in this particular candidate.

He says that he can and will get a large percentage of the black vote, and with the high unemployment and the recent insults delivered by O against them ("get out of your bedroom slippers..., stop complainin' "), they may get the impression that he and the D party take them for granted.

The subsequent rebuke O has received from several CBC members and others outside the caucus may indicate they feel a need to speak up to show they can and actually do think for themselves, if not to warn Obama that he is being too openly dismissive of them, as if he owns them,

Cain is right to assume the community is beginning to see some merit in his brainwashing statement, and begin to look outside their traditional loyalties. They know that O's policies have hurt them more than others, and they may not want anymore of it, ergo Cain.

You're right that the quotes aren't very similar. I was free-associating when I said that one "reminded" me of the other. I certainly didn't google it though-- I'm a political junkie and it's a rather famous gaffe, to the degree that any gaffes from primary losers from so long ago are famous.

The only link I see is that with George Romney, the problem wasn't so much his thesis-- that he was reevaluating his support for intervention in Vietnam and he attributed his previous support to undo persuasion by hawkish generals. The real problem was his use of the word "brainwashing" with its unsavory and implausible connotations.

Cain has a similar problem. His thesis was essentially that many African American voters wouldn't even consider voting for him because they disagreed with his overall conservative philosophy. Not particularly controversial, but add in the reference to "brainwashing", and we again have unsavory and implausible connotations, as well as insulting ones. As you suggest however, who the candidate says is brainwashed-- here, the voters rather than the candidate-- does rather ruin the parallel. So I think the parallel is a fairly weak one, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Incidentally, Googling "brainwashed politicians" (with quotes) won't get you George Romney's quote. The first link is to a Ron Paul clip, and even if you include Romney in your search you just get a few Mitt Romney references. George Romney's Wikipedia entry is the sixth result if you google brainwashed politician (without quotes), though.

He can't get the nomination? Really? Says whom? You?

And he's right...

I don't say he can't, but I do say that he won't, and I say it with a fair degree of confidence. His poll results thus far are very good, but the smart money says he has little chance (about 5% on Intrade). It's not impossible, but it is very unlikely. Cain's main weakness as a candidate is that he hasn't held major elective office before. People say they don't like politicians, but when was the last time we had a major-party nominee that hadn't been President, Vice-President, Governor or Senator before? (It was Eisenhower in 1952)

Still haven't seen even one listed guys. Come on, there has to be at least ONE thing the GOP is for that will benefit the Black Community, right?

You can't think of even one thing?

Forum List

Back