Buy First Editions

Why buy a book when you can download it for free?

Another great thought from the man with the brain of a drip pan from under a grill. Sure, just download it! Get the latest, digitally rewritten fake rewritten copy of the original. And we wonder why so many on the left have brains as soft as week old spoiled melons.

Dang! And here I thought this thread was about giving out first editions to Hillary's new book!

Hillary.jpg

BTW< I have the original 1984 by Orwell.

I recently found my copy of Animal Farm from High School.

And I have noticed this with other books. I just recently bought a newer copy of Team Yankee, and some of the wording is not how I remember it from 20 years ago.

I saw this story earlier today and I must say, as a bibliophile I find it outrageous that Amazon allows this. Not a big fan of Amazon to begin with, I never buy anything from them. That's not likely to change.

Because books are better.

Not for the environment

Why? Paper breaks down.

Damn you, Billy! Books are bad! Paper products not only create jobs and income for people and offer an unassailable source of information (unlike digital, they don't change over time by whim), and hold a commodity value, but now we better get out in the woods right now and clean up all those dead and fallen trees out there! Stinking up and polluting the planet! :eek:

Because books are better.

Not for the environment

Why? Paper breaks down.

Damn you, Billy! Books are bad! Paper products not only create jobs and income for people and offer an unassailable source of information (unlike digital, they don't change over time by whim), and hold a commodity value, but now we better get out in the woods right now and clean up all those dead and fallen trees out there! Stinking up and polluting the planet! :eek:

Montag would have a seizure on seeing my library. :113:

I’ve bought books just because of how they look, beautiful leather bound volumes.

My favorite also turned out to be a fascinating read titled Home Hand Book of Hygiene and Medicine, by H.J. Kellogg, M.D., published in 1881. Try to picture a book 10” tall X 7” wide with a 5” wide spine. It’s a load but covered in a beautiful burnt orange colored leather with faded gold lettering and trim and really cool intricate tooling work.

It is as titled, a hand book folks turned to when someone felt ill, fevered, wounded, etc. Imagine living without the convenience of doctor availability that we know, on a farm somewhere maybe days away from the nearest doc when you’re trying to figure out what’s wrong with grandma who’s got a terrible ache in her lower abdomen. You look it up in the handbook, ditto for instructions how to set and splint a broken bone, and all sorts of other stuff, some kinda weird now but based on the medical knowledge of the time. But the whole thing is a work of art as there are no photographs. Instead everything depicted is a beautiful hand-drawn illustration. Must be several hundred throughout it.

Picked it up at a charity book sale. When I was told I could have it for $5 I told the woman I thought it was worth more and gave her $20. Made her day.

Forum List

Back