Bullying because of racism I am in 7th grade

brainiac1017

Rookie
Mar 9, 2018
“You can't delete racism. It's like a cigarette. You can't stop smoking if you don't want to, and you can't stop racism if people don't want to. But I'll do everything I can to help.”

-Mario Balotelli

From personal experience, and hearing stories I have realized that bullying and teasing because of someone's race is a very common issue found in schools all across The United States of America. I believe that this is an issue because schools don’t make very large of an effort to teach about racism and the possible struggles of belonging to another culture, religion or ethnic group. Three reasons why I believe this is because many kids of different races deal with personal issues, many school don’t have diversity/inclusion program and lastly because of ignoring.

My first reason is that many kids have dealt with this problem personally. An article on nytimes.com in partnership with Youth Radio really touched my heart. I read about four stories of people (teens) encountering racism. One I wanted to talk about specifically is 15 year old Marianne Nacanaynay’s. Marianne talks about the first time someone directed a racial slur toward her. She says “I was at a pizza place in Everett, a town in western Washington State. One of my friends who works with me on our high school newspaper wanted to get lunch early, and the place was already crowded with a line stretching around the block. I was waiting outside of the restaurant and chatting on the phone when out of the corner of my eye, I saw two dudes walking by. They were young looking — teenagers or 20-somethings — with light skin and blond/brown hair. As they passed me, I heard them laugh and say, ‘(expletive) chink.’” The saddest thing about this was that she wasn’t surprised or shocked at being called what she was called. Victims are choosing to live with the things that they deal with. This demonstrates that racism happens around our world to young adults/kids too, not only in school and is affecting their lives largely. Now obviously my last piece of evidence is valid and really important but I wanted to see how severe the issue was in our area. Thus, I conducted a survey. In this survey I conducted in my 7th grade Integrated English class 64% of students responded “yes” to having dealt with racism. This let me know that this issue is an issue in our area too. 64%, in just one class, of a school of around 1,200 students. Let that wrap around your head. This supports the fact that so many people are dealing with racism or have and shows the extremities of this issue. Just in one small town in central Ohio so many kids are being affected.

Furthermore, many schools don’t have diversity/inclusion programs.A New York Article says from 2016 says that “Ninety-one districts and charter networks now have at least one school that factors socioeconomic status into its assignments, according to a report released Tuesday by the Century Foundation. “ This shows that not many schools have programs to help out or support or even teach about diversity or inclusion. With this information, how are we even supposed to know that kids who may deal with racism have anyone to turn to or have someone to help out. theedadvocate.org gives 4 reasons why classrooms need diversity education. One of their reasons is “So that you can facilitate the process of learning overall. One reason for seeking out and acknowledging cultural differences among students is the idea that learning involves transfer of information from prior knowledge and experiences.” The effects of belonging or being picked on is large. My evidence supports that having a diversity program not only will help students emotionally and help them feel included but it will help them learn better too.

Lastly, another reason I believe that bullying and teasing because of race is an issue is because it is ignored. While this is a much more extreme piece of evidence it is definitely valid. From psychologytoday.com I found that ignorance about race is killing us. To back up that claim Agustín Fuentes Ph.D. says, “While nine Americans lay dead on the floor of a famous church in Charleston, South Carolina, thousands of Americans were making racist jokes, crossing the street to avoid a young black man, bemoaning how governmental handouts favored minorities, and/or assuming that black athletes are biologically superior to whites (except at certain positions). And probably not one of these Americans linked their jokes, actions or beliefs to the carnage at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church on Wednesday the 17th of June, 2015.” This illustrates that the ignorance of racism has long term effects on the people who are dealing with it and the people who aren't. It has a large effect on everybody in the community. An article by Varsha Patel on thetab.com says that white students and staff are being racist without even knowing it. They say that students (minorities) get lower grades because they are not included in certain activities. This is an issue for many reasons. Student’s aren’t receiving an equivalent education and are missing out on opportunities to have fun too. Now I don’t blame the staff and students for anything. They are doing it unknowingly. It's the society. A quote by John Lewis says “The scars and stains of racism are still deeply embedded in the American society.” Society is affecting the way we see each other and the way we treat each other. The piece of evidence I used above is a perfect example for how not knowing about an issue adds on to it.Some may argue that bullying is a way of life and strengthens kids. I’m here to say that there are plenty of other ways to do this without hurting someone's feelings or driving kids to do something they shouldn’t, or even commiting suicide.From commonsensemedia.org I found 3 applications to set kids up emotionally for the real world. These mobile apps range to recommended ages 5-12. This directly supports that there are other ways to get ready for the real world. And this is just one way.

Racism. What does it mean? What does it mean to you? What does it mean to others? How can it effect other? All things everyone needs to think about. It can hurt to be called something because of a minor difference, such as skin color. This is an issue because many kids of different races deal with personal issues, many school don’t have diversity/inclusion program and people are ignoring this.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
“You can't delete racism. It's like a cigarette. You can't stop smoking if you don't want to, and you can't stop racism if people don't want to. But I'll do everything I can to help.”

-Mario Balotelli

From personal experience, and hearing stories I have realized that bullying and teasing because of someone's race is a very common issue found in schools all across The United States of America. I believe that this is an issue because schools don’t make very large of an effort to teach about racism and the possible struggles of belonging to another culture, religion or ethnic group. Three reasons why I believe this is because many kids of different races deal with personal issues, many school don’t have diversity/inclusion program and lastly because of ignoring.

My first reason is that many kids have dealt with this problem personally. An article on nytimes.com in partnership with Youth Radio really touched my heart. I read about four stories of people (teens) encountering racism. One I wanted to talk about specifically is 15 year old Marianne Nacanaynay’s. Marianne talks about the first time someone directed a racial slur toward her. She says “I was at a pizza place in Everett, a town in western Washington State. One of my friends who works with me on our high school newspaper wanted to get lunch early, and the place was already crowded with a line stretching around the block. I was waiting outside of the restaurant and chatting on the phone when out of the corner of my eye, I saw two dudes walking by. They were young looking — teenagers or 20-somethings — with light skin and blond/brown hair. As they passed me, I heard them laugh and say, ‘(expletive) chink.’” The saddest thing about this was that she wasn’t surprised or shocked at being called what she was called. Victims are choosing to live with the things that they deal with. This demonstrates that racism happens around our world to young adults/kids too, not only in school and is affecting their lives largely. Now obviously my last piece of evidence is valid and really important but I wanted to see how severe the issue was in our area. Thus, I conducted a survey. In this survey I conducted in my 7th grade Integrated English class 64% of students responded “yes” to having dealt with racism. This let me know that this issue is an issue in our area too. 64%, in just one class, of a school of around 1,200 students. Let that wrap around your head. This supports the fact that so many people are dealing with racism or have and shows the extremities of this issue. Just in one small town in central Ohio so many kids are being affected.

Furthermore, many schools don’t have diversity/inclusion programs.A New York Article says from 2016 says that “Ninety-one districts and charter networks now have at least one school that factors socioeconomic status into its assignments, according to a report released Tuesday by the Century Foundation. “ This shows that not many schools have programs to help out or support or even teach about diversity or inclusion. With this information, how are we even supposed to know that kids who may deal with racism have anyone to turn to or have someone to help out. theedadvocate.org gives 4 reasons why classrooms need diversity education. One of their reasons is “So that you can facilitate the process of learning overall. One reason for seeking out and acknowledging cultural differences among students is the idea that learning involves transfer of information from prior knowledge and experiences.” The effects of belonging or being picked on is large. My evidence supports that having a diversity program not only will help students emotionally and help them feel included but it will help them learn better too.

Lastly, another reason I believe that bullying and teasing because of race is an issue is because it is ignored. While this is a much more extreme piece of evidence it is definitely valid. From psychologytoday.com I found that ignorance about race is killing us. To back up that claim Agustín Fuentes Ph.D. says, “While nine Americans lay dead on the floor of a famous church in Charleston, South Carolina, thousands of Americans were making racist jokes, crossing the street to avoid a young black man, bemoaning how governmental handouts favored minorities, and/or assuming that black athletes are biologically superior to whites (except at certain positions). And probably not one of these Americans linked their jokes, actions or beliefs to the carnage at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church on Wednesday the 17th of June, 2015.” This illustrates that the ignorance of racism has long term effects on the people who are dealing with it and the people who aren't. It has a large effect on everybody in the community. An article by Varsha Patel on thetab.com says that white students and staff are being racist without even knowing it. They say that students (minorities) get lower grades because they are not included in certain activities. This is an issue for many reasons. Student’s aren’t receiving an equivalent education and are missing out on opportunities to have fun too. Now I don’t blame the staff and students for anything. They are doing it unknowingly. It's the society. A quote by John Lewis says “The scars and stains of racism are still deeply embedded in the American society.” Society is affecting the way we see each other and the way we treat each other. The piece of evidence I used above is a perfect example for how not knowing about an issue adds on to it.Some may argue that bullying is a way of life and strengthens kids. I’m here to say that there are plenty of other ways to do this without hurting someone's feelings or driving kids to do something they shouldn’t, or even commiting suicide.From commonsensemedia.org I found 3 applications to set kids up emotionally for the real world. These mobile apps range to recommended ages 5-12. This directly supports that there are other ways to get ready for the real world. And this is just one way.

Racism. What does it mean? What does it mean to you? What does it mean to others? How can it effect other? All things everyone needs to think about. It can hurt to be called something because of a minor difference, such as skin color. This is an issue because many kids of different races deal with personal issues, many school don’t have diversity/inclusion program and people are ignoring this.
What is the political leaning of most of the adults in public education?

-Mario Balotelli

No personal experiences of your own?

my wife went to a mostly black school
the blacks harassed/bullied the whites
don't make it out to be a white only deal--BULLSHIT

I grew up in a mostly black hood
most of our friends were black
a black family just moved into the hood and started to give us crap!!!!??
until I beat one their a$$es for giving my mom trouble
my brother got jumped by blacks
sometimes they tried to jump my brothers and I --but we didn't let them

[...]

I believe you will find this brief (3 minutes) video interesting.

Let us know what you think.

Do they not teach "Sticks and Stones" anymore?
Hopefully not, because it isn't true. Oh sure, if it's someone you know is a jamoke, it'll roll off your back, but bullying? It's what causes a good portion of the broken people out there. A black eye is gone in a week or two. Cruel words -- they are remembered. A lot of them, over and over? They become part of who you are, a voice in the back of your brain, whispering what a loser you are.

61yBeMBIjGL._SY445_.jpg

I was working with a 15 year old in a high risk Last Chance Texaco juvie lock up, and during our class one day we were talking about what the judge had just told him and I objected, "But you are such a good kid!"
The kid's eyes got big as saucers and he was literally speechless for a minute. Then he said "NO ONE has ever said that to me before." I just shrugged and told him it was true, and we got back to work. But I didn't forget it.
You just never know what a kid has learned, do you?

I was working with a 15 year old in a high risk Last Chance Texaco juvie lock up, and during our class one day we were talking about what the judge had just told him and I objected, "But you are such a good kid!"
The kid's eyes got big as saucers and he was literally speechless for a minute. Then he said "NO ONE has ever said that to me before." I just shrugged and told him it was true, and we got back to work. But I didn't forget it.
If he was ‘such a good kid’ why was he locked up in juvie?

-Mario Balotelli

:boohoo:

my wife went to a mostly black school
the blacks harassed/bullied the whites
don't make it out to be a white only deal--BULLSHIT

I grew up in a mostly black hood
most of our friends were black
a black family just moved into the hood and started to give us crap!!!!??
until I beat one their a$$es for giving my mom trouble
my brother got jumped by blacks
sometimes they tried to jump my brothers and I --but we didn't let them

You are a racist and that's what you have always been. That's why you got jumped. Racism is an only whites deal
Nah, I lived in a blacks-only apartment building for about a year. Got some choice stuff carved in my door. Invitation to get out HONKY. I never did anything to anyone there. Just the wrong color. My friend down the hall worried about me a lot more than I did, though. It was just words.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
If he was ‘such a good kid’ why was he locked up in juvie?

He made a mistake.

Forum List

Back