Boycott Israel

icon-video.png

Disturbed frontman David Draiman. Photo: RPS via Wikimedia Commons
Disturbed frontman David Draiman said in a new podcast interview that he gives no attention to supporters of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel and they’ve in return come to realize that they’ll never be able to convince him not to perform in the Jewish state.

“F__k them. I don’t care. They know I don’t care, that’s why they don’t bother me,” the Jewish musician said during his guest appearance last week on the Sarai Talk Show, a new podcast hosted by human rights activist and former Miss Iraq Sarah Idan. He added, “I have 2,000 relatives living in Israel. I have parents, my brother, uncles, aunts, cousins — you’re really gonna try to say something to me about BDS? It makes no sense.”

Disturbed will embark on a world tour in April for its new album Divisive and will make a stop in Israel for a concert. It will be Draiman’s second time performing in the country and the heavy metal musician, whose maternal grandmother has Yemenite Jewish roots, said he is “excited” to visit Israel again.

Draiman is an avid supporter of Israel and also a member of the non-profit organization Creative Community for Peace, which promotes efforts to use the arts as a means to create peace and coexistence, as well as support against the cultural boycott of Israel.

Idan further asked Draiman about BDS supporters pressuring many artists in the past to not perform in Israel as a show of solidarity with Palestinians. The Sound of Silence singer expressed his own frustration by noting how ironic it is “that there’s not a single band that has played in Israel that has seen a negative impact whatsoever other than a whole lot of people being loudmouths online. It hasn’t negatively impacted their ticket sales [or] their record sales. If anything it increased them.”

He told Idan he thinks Israeli fans are “amazing and dedicated” and said he believes that music “should be the entity that brings people together, not continues to separate. It should build bridges and it’s not supposed to be something you withhold from people.”

He said regarding artists who feel pressured to not perform in Israel: “People need to learn to shut out the noise and do what they need to do for themselves, for the fans, for the music and for the sake of spreading this amazing gift they’ve been given to as many people as they can.”

Draiman also talked with Idan about the start of his musical career. When the podcast host asked if he always knew he wanted to be a singer, he replied, “It called to me. I was singing since I was tiny. I was singing with my grandparents and my parents at the Sabbath dinner tables and I was the leader of the congregation in prayer. I was trained as a cantor as a young man. That’s where I got my original training as a singer, learning to lead the Jewish congregation in prayer as a cantor.”

The musician added that although he is not religious, he is a “very proud Jew” and has “great respect” for his heritage. He explained, “I have a love of my people and my heritage and my family. And that is really what I think will end up counting.”

Listen to Sarah Idan’s full interview with David Draiman in the video below.

(full article online)

“In Israel, Middle East Startups Celebrate Abraham Accords at Region’s Largest Investor Summit”

“Companies from across the Middle East were in Jerusalem on Wednesday to showcase the vast economic potential in the region two years after the signing of the Abraham Accords.

Opening the OurCrowd Global Investor Summit, Israeli President Isaac Herzog extended “a particular thank you to Abraham Accord countries”.

Just outside the room, the pavilions of Abu Dhabi and Morocco were centre stage as thousands of potential investors from more than 80 nations came to learn more about business in the Arab world.

Abdulla Abdul Aziz Al Shamsi, Director General of Abu Dhabi Investment Office, told a crowd of hundreds that “we have really started to see the fruits of this work”. It was his first time in Jerusalem.

Keen to stress that the Accords mean more than relations between its signatories, Sabah Al Binali, the first Emirati partner at an Israeli company, spoke to The National of his personal experience bridging these two worlds.
“It’s overwhelmingly positive … I think after the initial excitement, people are settling down and putting their business hats on,” he said.”

Mena startups celebrate Abraham Accords at region’s largest investor summit

Arab Israeli political leader Mansour Abbas rejects apartheid claim. “He defended his position by pointing out the obvious: that he leads an Israeli-Arab party that is a member of the government’s coalition.” “I am within the coalition,” he said, adding that the option also exists for Israeli-Arabs to be ministers in the government.”

MK Mansour Abbas: Israel is not an apartheid state

Forum List

Back