is lsrael an apartheid state?

is Israel an apartheid state?

• Total voters
This is what I have read about Israel.

1. The overwhelming majority of the people are Jewish.

2. The Palestinians who live there have representation in Israel's government.

3. Some people from sub-Sahara Africa have taken refuge there, and the Israeli government has offered them generous compensation to leave Israel.

4. In my opinion (since the OP asked us):

a. It does not matter if some groups use the word "apartheid" to describe Israel.
b. Israel was founded as a safe zone for Jewish people.
c. Israel should avoid becoming like the United States with its racial problems.

Annexation is not the same as apartheid.
I never said it was. I maintain that Israel is an apartheid because of it's policies in the West Bank as well as some related to Palestinians who are Israeli citizens.

Read how the Jordanians did it. Do have a problem with that?

Not going to read it, not interested. I'm answering the question in the thread's title.

Again, carry on denying the undeniable.

Not going to read it, not interested

A pity. It was well worth the read.

I maintain that Israel is an apartheid because of its policies in the West Bank as well as some related to Palestinians who are Israeli citizens.
Well you’re wrong.

And please explain how Palestinians could be Israeli citizens. You mean Arabs don’t you? Some of whom are in the Knesset and the IDF. As well as doctors and nurses working side by side with Jews in Israeli hospitals. How is that possible under apartheid?

OVER THE LAST year, there has been an ongoing public debate as to whether the actions the Israeli government is enacting in the Occupied Palestinian Territories can be classified as apartheid under international law...

As the former Attorney General of Israel, I have spent my career analysing Israel’s most pressing legal questions. It is with great sadness that I must also conclude that my country has sunk to such political and moral depths that it is now an apartheid regime. It is time for the international community to recognise this reality as well...

Between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea, it is Israel that is permanently depriving millions of Palestinians of their civil and political rights. This is Israeli apartheid.

Michael Benyair is a former Attorney General of Israel and a former acting judge in the Israeli Supreme Court.

I'll take his word over that of randos on the internets, thankyouverymuch.
Why do you choose to take his statement over any other like

or this one from a South African

or this South African

here's one with lots of footnotes

how about hearing from an Arab Israeli politician?

but I guess you'll just read the opinions you agree with.

A pity. It was well worth the read.

Well you’re wrong.

And please explain how Palestinians could be Israeli citizens. You mean Arabs don’t you? Some of whom are in the Knesset and the IDF. As well as doctors and nurses working side by side with Jews in Israeli hospitals. How is that possible under apartheid?
Apologies, yes, Israeli Arabs. As if Blacks did not work in the same places as Afrikaners. I'm not saying that every policy in Apartheid SA exists but I am saying Israeli is apartheid.

Why do you choose to take his statement over any other like

or this one from a South African

or this South African

here's one with lots of footnotes

how about hearing from an Arab Israeli politician?

I've read other similar pieces in the past and came to my conclusion.

but I guess you'll just read the opinions you agree with.
You're welcome to your assumptions.

BTW, here's something more about Palestinians in Israel.

Overall, Palestinian Israelis have a more precarious political status than their Jewish counterparts because, as Amnesty International notes, Palestinian and Jewish citizens have different legal statuses: “Whilst they are granted citizenship, Palestinian citizens of Israel are denied a nationality, establishing a legal differentiation from Jewish Israelis.” This distinction matters because policies related to issues such as immigration are tied to nationality rather than citizenship.

“When it comes to poverty, housing, getting permits to build houses, to equal rights when it comes to school education, everything, we are being treated as worse than second-class citizens,” Tamar Nafar, a Palestinian with Israeli citizenship, previously told ABC News...
Those arguing that Israel practices apartheid point to the passage of a 2018 law known as the “nation-state law” as well as multiple statements that Israeli leaders have made emphasizing that they seek to prioritize the rights of Israeli Jewish residents in the region over those of other groups.

That law — which was widely criticized by Palestinians and liberal Israeli Jews as undemocratic — explicitly stated that the right to “national self-determination in the State of Israel is unique to the Jewish people.” That line underscored the reality that there was no political appetite for a one-state solution in which Palestinians and Israelis were treated equally, and its critics argued it made plain that Palestinians are second-class citizens.

Additionally, the law said that “the state views Jewish settlement as a national value and will labor to encourage and promote its establishment and development,” while downgrading Arabic from its designation as an official language. These tenets were also interpreted as legally treating Palestinian citizens different from their Jewish counterparts.

I've read other similar pieces in the past and came to my conclusion.
Does you conclusion fit with the facts that the various sites I listed present?
You're welcome to your assumptions.
Not an assumption. You wrote "Not going to read it, not interested" when presented with something that argued with your narrative.

Does you conclusion fit with the facts that the various sites I listed present?
I just quoted/cited one of those I've read.

Not an assumption. You wrote "Not going to read it, not interested" when presented with something that argued with your narrative.
It's not a "narrative" but an opinion I reached. l also wrote "I've read other similar pieces in the past and came to my conclusion."

I'm not going to trawl through a bunch of sites you cited. Quote relevant excerpts from those sites you want me to read. What I wrote doesn't mean I don't read other sites that disagree with my opinion, so it is an assumption.

BTW, here's something more about Palestinians in Israel.

Overall, Palestinian Israelis have a more precarious political status than their Jewish counterparts because, as Amnesty International notes, Palestinian and Jewish citizens have different legal statuses: “Whilst they are granted citizenship, Palestinian citizens of Israel are denied a nationality, establishing a legal differentiation from Jewish Israelis.” This distinction matters because policies related to issues such as immigration are tied to nationality rather than citizenship.

“When it comes to poverty, housing, getting permits to build houses, to equal rights when it comes to school education, everything, we are being treated as worse than second-class citizens,” Tamar Nafar, a Palestinian with Israeli citizenship, previously told ABC News...
Those arguing that Israel practices apartheid point to the passage of a 2018 law known as the “nation-state law” as well as multiple statements that Israeli leaders have made emphasizing that they seek to prioritize the rights of Israeli Jewish residents in the region over those of other groups.

That law — which was widely criticized by Palestinians and liberal Israeli Jews as undemocratic — explicitly stated that the right to “national self-determination in the State of Israel is unique to the Jewish people.” That line underscored the reality that there was no political appetite for a one-state solution in which Palestinians and Israelis were treated equally, and its critics argued it made plain that Palestinians are second-class citizens.

Additionally, the law said that “the state views Jewish settlement as a national value and will labor to encourage and promote its establishment and development,” while downgrading Arabic from its designation as an official language. These tenets were also interpreted as legally treating Palestinian citizens different from their Jewish counterparts.
You are conflating national self-determination (the right to have a nation) with citizenship.

Forum List

Back