Black America and Tipping Culture

Blacks and old ladies are the worst tippers...ask any waiter or waitress when they see a big table full of old woman they know the tab will have to be split and the tip will be about 5%....
I will enter the thread here. I paid my way through graduate school waiting tables with several different restaurants in several different cities. I was a power server. I only worked at places where there was always a wait, mostly hopping from grand opening to grand opening. I chewed up waits, Just having me on your staff dramatically cut those wait times and increased the throughput for the kitchen. In five years I never wrote a single order down. Party of twenty, no problem. Triple seated three six tops, no problem. I was a legend, and still, almost thirty years later, it is not unusual for me to dine at a restaurant and have the manager come out and comp my meal when they find out I am there.

A good server goes unnoticed. He doesn't strike up flippant conversations with the guests. They came to have a meal, not meet a new friend. Like one of my guest told his friend, who was questioning me and worried I was not writing down his order. "I have had this guy before, he knows what you need before you do, just sit back and enjoy the ride". And yeah, I got paid handsomely. I paid my way through school and paid for a house at the same time. It took several years working professionally before I even made as much money as I did while I was in school.

Black males, yes, for the most part they tip poorly. That much was reflected in the podcast. But I will take all the black women tables, all the old women tables, hell, all the all women tables, you can seat me. No flirting, completely professional, just treat them like they are special and the tips roll in. In fact, the percentage is highest among all females for a good male server. Families would run second, take care of the kids, entertain the kids, and walk with a great tip. Dates would be third. The female wants the male to tip hell out of you because you were so awesome but the male has to reign it in a little so you lose a bit, unless the woman is paying. Then you make bank as they say in the business.

Large parties, every place I ever worked automatically added a gratuity of between 15% and 18%. Not me. When I delivered the check, or the checks, I always told them I didn't add the gratuity because I believed I was worth more than 18%. Nine times out of ten, I got more. One of my most memorable tables, in Raleigh. Ten couples from Duke University's medical school, doctors and their interns and their dates. The couples didn't sit together, they were spread out among their friends. Complicated orders, special requests, mixed drinks, add-ons. It was complex and I never wrote anything down. When it came time to drop the check they told me it was ten couples. When I asked who the couples were they told me to figure it out. I came back a few minutes later with ten checks. I delivered each check to the male and pointed out their partner explaining how I determined they were a couple, rather it was body language, conversations during the order, or eye contact. When it was over I was ten for ten and the whole table jumped to their feet and started asking me what the hell I was doing there. They backed off when I told them I was getting my MBA at Carolina.

The jist of the story. Serving is a real profession that takes real skill. It is a job where you get paid what you are worth and there can be no bones about it because no one is requiring you to be paid anything. And from my own experience, it is a dying art form. Good service is harder and harder to come by. Servers don't know from which side of the guest to present the food, they don't know the meaning of an overturned fork, and they honestly believe that tips are mandatory and don't have to be earned. Pre-setting a table hardly ever happens. Greet times can reach double digit minutes. Sometimes, you are waiting for the check for what seems an eternity. The art of "turn and burn" is either dead, or all to prevalent as you get your salad before you app. I have toyed with the idea of starting a consulting firm to teach real service to wait staffs and that may very well be how I spend my retirement.

I have first hand experience dining in them.

But, okay, I'll spoon-feed you.

I made the comment "I've been to restaurants where the dinner bill is equal to your mortgage payment". The point was that I've been to some extraordinarily expensive restaurants. It speaks volumes about your intelligence that you were unable to figure that out.

Ultra high end restaurants, like just about every other restaurant in the English speaking world, will add a gratuity for larger parties. I've never seen it done when it's just one or two couples dining. Not ever. Not once. I've dined in restaurants which run the full gamut of quality, from Drake's Bistro in St. Augustine (amazing sandwiches if you ever happen to be in town) to Mastro's in Manhattan, and I've never, ever seen it done.

It doesn't happen...
Normally, no, it doesn't happen. But it has happened to me and my wife more than once. We enjoy dining out at fine places. Sometimes, we dress up. But I am not beyond showing up at a restaurant with a two hundred dollar check average wearing jeans and a Tom and Jerry T-shirt. I laugh my ass off when they present the check with a gratuity added, because guess what, if they were good, they just took money out of their own pocket.

Assuming a tip is one of the dumbest thing a server can do. I remember working at one place and a party of the roughest looking rednecks you have ever seen showed up. The servers all started screaming they didn't want the table. I recognized the crew, a redneck family that owned dozens of convenience stores in Western North Carolina. Absolutely loaded. They knew me as well, and you should have seen the look on those other servers when the tip off that one table was more than they had made the last three nights. Another time a motorcycle gang wheeled in. About thirty people, and servers started running from them. I looked over at this old school female waitress and she, like I, knew we were going to make bank. A lesson learned for the other servers.

Ok I just listened to this fucking podcast. We have already solved the issue of why blacks get poor service in restaurants.

They don't tip well

If anyone black is reading this and wondering why. There you go. Your kin don't tip well. Just like I'm going to prefer a man to a woman because....Men tip better by a similar margin to whites and blacks.

And Republicans give better tips than democrats.
Me and my caretaker family went out to a restaurant and a young waitress we had had a black family at another table they ordered all the most expensive items spent about $1000 and left her $15 tip.. she cried

I will enter the thread here. I paid my way through graduate school waiting tables with several different restaurants in several different cities. I was a power server. I only worked at places where there was always a wait, mostly hopping from grand opening to grand opening. I chewed up waits, Just having me on your staff dramatically cut those wait times and increased the throughput for the kitchen. In five years I never wrote a single order down. Party of twenty, no problem. Triple seated three six tops, no problem. I was a legend, and still, almost thirty years later, it is not unusual for me to dine at a restaurant and have the manager come out and comp my meal when they find out I am there.

A good server goes unnoticed. He doesn't strike up flippant conversations with the guests. They came to have a meal, not meet a new friend. Like one of my guest told his friend, who was questioning me and worried I was not writing down his order. "I have had this guy before, he knows what you need before you do, just sit back and enjoy the ride". And yeah, I got paid handsomely. I paid my way through school and paid for a house at the same time. It took several years working professionally before I even made as much money as I did while I was in school.

Black males, yes, for the most part they tip poorly. That much was reflected in the podcast. But I will take all the black women tables, all the old women tables, hell, all the all women tables, you can seat me. No flirting, completely professional, just treat them like they are special and the tips roll in. In fact, the percentage is highest among all females for a good male server. Families would run second, take care of the kids, entertain the kids, and walk with a great tip. Dates would be third. The female wants the male to tip hell out of you because you were so awesome but the male has to reign it in a little so you lose a bit, unless the woman is paying. Then you make bank as they say in the business.

Large parties, every place I ever worked automatically added a gratuity of between 15% and 18%. Not me. When I delivered the check, or the checks, I always told them I didn't add the gratuity because I believed I was worth more than 18%. Nine times out of ten, I got more. One of my most memorable tables, in Raleigh. Ten couples from Duke University's medical school, doctors and their interns and their dates. The couples didn't sit together, they were spread out among their friends. Complicated orders, special requests, mixed drinks, add-ons. It was complex and I never wrote anything down. When it came time to drop the check they told me it was ten couples. When I asked who the couples were they told me to figure it out. I came back a few minutes later with ten checks. I delivered each check to the male and pointed out their partner explaining how I determined they were a couple, rather it was body language, conversations during the order, or eye contact. When it was over I was ten for ten and the whole table jumped to their feet and started asking me what the hell I was doing there. They backed off when I told them I was getting my MBA at Carolina.

The jist of the story. Serving is a real profession that takes real skill. It is a job where you get paid what you are worth and there can be no bones about it because no one is requiring you to be paid anything. And from my own experience, it is a dying art form. Good service is harder and harder to come by. Servers don't know from which side of the guest to present the food, they don't know the meaning of an overturned fork, and they honestly believe that tips are mandatory and don't have to be earned. Pre-setting a table hardly ever happens. Greet times can reach double digit minutes. Sometimes, you are waiting for the check for what seems an eternity. The art of "turn and burn" is either dead, or all to prevalent as you get your salad before you app. I have toyed with the idea of starting a consulting firm to teach real service to wait staffs and that may very well be how I spend my retirement.
"Ten couples ......didn't sit together.....Complicated orders, special requests, mixed drinks, add-ons.....and I never wrote anything down."

As I former waiter during my school years also, I call BS.

Wow, you were kind of a server Superman where remembering everything was your superpower. Having a photographic memory must come in handy. I have trouble remembering a grocery list if there is more than 3 items I need to have it written down.

Very interesting Winston...

Wow, you were kind of a server Superman where remembering everything was your superpower. Having a photographic memory must come in handy. I have trouble remembering a grocery list if there is more than 3 items I need to have it written down.
Not photographic, videographic. For me, the process was simple. I would go to the POS system, close my eyes, let out a slow breath, and play the whole "video" of the ordering process in my head. It is not like I "memorized" anything. I am an empath. That gives me the ability to route memories through the hippocampus while activating the visual and associative cortex. One of the hallmarks of this ability is pattern recognition, which was how I distinguished those ten couples. Being doctors and interns, recognizing that was probably why they tested me.

Being an empath, or hyper empathetic as I like to call it, is a curse as much as a blessing. Watching a Tarantino film is impossible, highly charged emotional situations can reduce me to a quivering heap of mush. Horror films, not happening. Funerals, almost impossible to attend. But then, as a parent, it is a huge asset. The kids never could lie to me, eventually, they just gave up. I could feel their deceit.

Ok I just listened to this fucking podcast. We have already solved the issue of why blacks get poor service in restaurants.

They don't tip well

If anyone black is reading this and wondering why. There you go. Your kin don't tip well. Just like I'm going to prefer a man to a woman because....Men tip better by a similar margin to whites and blacks.

Maybe you are right. Maybe black people are bad tippers

But seeing as how there aren’t a bunch of restaurants fighting for the right to demand that black people tip well, its absence hardly indicates a general state of disadvantage suffered by whites.

That this is the worst and most evil example of black racism you could come up with says a lot

Or maybe black people are good tippers, if we get good service and good food. You don't hear many black owned restaurant complaining about black bad tipping. Do you ? I always tip black waitresses for sure.

Why would a blk person go to white American food place and tip well to eating boysenberry pie and all that sh*t ?

Truth of the matter. You just don't like the fact you have to serve a black man or woman. Don't ya

1648277822774.png

Last edited:
Not photographic, videographic. For me, the process was simple. I would go to the POS system, close my eyes, let out a slow breath, and play the whole "video" of the ordering process in my head. It is not like I "memorized" anything. I am an empath. That gives me the ability to route memories through the hippocampus while activating the visual and associative cortex. One of the hallmarks of this ability is pattern recognition, which was how I distinguished those ten couples. Being doctors and interns, recognizing that was probably why they tested me.

Being an empath, or hyper empathetic as I like to call it, is a curse as much as a blessing. Watching a Tarantino film is impossible, highly charged emotional situations can reduce me to a quivering heap of mush. Horror films, not happening. Funerals, almost impossible to attend. But then, as a parent, it is a huge asset. The kids never could lie to me, eventually, they just gave up. I could feel their deceit.
Wow, videographic memory and you are an empath. You do have superpowers. And emotional situations are your kryptonite.

You could have been on Stan Lee's Superhumans.

Central Florida has many tourists. I am glad that has worked for you. My kids and others who were friends and diverse worked in situations as servers and table cleaners. Many have a different view. No tips. Low tips and the eat all the meal and then complain about it act. And it would get loud. They did not want to serve them from this experience. And there were friend black servers and table cleaners who were of the same thought. Managers of restaurants had to walk a fine line as accusations are made. Saying that, there are terrible servers in the industry and those affected by hear say from others who abuse the rights of citizens.

They don't tip well

I have a friend who is an excellent server. This past week she had a table of 8 that required all kinds of special services. The bill was over $400. They tipped nothing. They were black. Happens all the time.

They don't tip well

My Bookmarks...Bow your head\

The owner of the Washington Senators moved his baseball team to Minneapolis in 1961 because the population of Washington DC had a high Black population. He said Black people were too cheap to buy a ticket.

Blacks and old ladies are the worst tippers...ask any waiter or waitress when they see a big table full of old woman they know the tab will have to be split and the tip will be about 5%....
Can't really blame seniors on Social Security. They can barely afford to eat out once a month.

Another white race bait thread.

I tip all the time. So do my friends.

But seeing as how there aren’t a bunch of restaurants fighting for the right to demand that black people tip well, its absence hardly indicates a general state of disadvantage suffered by whites.

That this is the worst and most evil example of black racism you could come up with says a lot

Or maybe black people are good tippers, if we get good service and good food. You don't hear many black owned restaurant complaining about black bad tipping. Do you ? I always tip black waitresses for sure.

Why would a blk person go to white American food place and tip well to eating boysenberry pie and all that sh*t ?

Truth of the matter. You just don't like the fact you have to serve a black man or woman. Don't ya

View attachment 621373
You are a piece of work.

You just don't like the fact you have to serve a black man or woman. Don't ya

I can see it now. You stroll your ass into a "white" restaurant and before you even get seated you come to the conclusion that you are being "slighted", treated differently. Maybe the hostess underestimated your wait time, maybe you were taken to a table instead of a booth, maybe not a damn thing happened, you just were looking for it to happen.

I always tip black waitresses for sure.

Wow, just wow. So you "always" tip black waitresses, because they are black. Boy, I bet that makes them proud. I always tip, even when the service is horrendous. It might be a little over ten percent, but I understand the business. I realize that there is something called "tipout", and I be damned if even the worse server is going to lose money on my check. Not saying I won't pull the manager to the side and give them the down low. But the fact that you "always" tip a black waitress tells me that you got no problem stiffing a server, and that pretty much makes you total scum. I will give you a tip, don't eat out, or at least don't go to "white" restaurants.

Do you always tip a black male server? Cause if you are basing things on race the black females usually surround the bottom of the barrel. The white females are next. Then comes the white males. But the black males, for the most part, are spot on. Now that is not generalizing, it is stating the odds. If you want the highest chance for the best service, pick the black male. The highest chance for bad service, the black female. And always, take the male over the female.

I worked at a white tie, white tablecloth restaurant and was responsible for making the server schedule. I did an experiment. On a busy Friday night the most powerful female server in the place came up to me and said, "what is going on, this place is all to shit, everyone is at each other's throats, we are deep in the weeds, and everyone is pissed off". I starting laughing hysterically, and I told her, "It is eight o'clock. Tomorrow come to me at eight o'clock and I will tell you what is going on". Next day, slamming Saturday night, true to form, she pulled me to the side. "Last night was all to hell, tonight it is smooth as silk, the place is humming, everyone is cruising and happy, and we are busier, what gives?" I started laughing again and then I told her, "look around, what do you see". Then it hit her, she realized that the day before I was the only male server on the floor. This night, she was the only female server on the floor.

The reality is that your attitude is a direct insult to your forefathers. You are so consumed with being the victim, so enthralled with perceived racism, so ashamed of slavery, that you can't take pride in the fact that your race, the black race, pretty much wrote the book on "service". There is no shame in that, NONE. And yes, it might have started serving the "Massah" and his guest at the dinner table, but it was taken to even higher levels with the railroad porters that were free, the White House staff members that served for decades,

Thankfully, there are some that don't feel the way that you do. There are some that realize, the ticket to advancement, the ticket to "equality", is that service. Because here is the deal, current business leadership practices are centered on service leadership. I will give you one stunning example during March Madness. Hubert Davis, the head coach of Carolina. For him, it is all about service and he is on the short list for coach of the year. Instead of looking for excuses and striving to be the victim, embrace your heritage and seek out opportunities to serve. For your forefathers it was a matter of survival, and quite honestly, it is no different for you.

Me and my caretaker family went out to a restaurant and a young waitress we had had a black family at another table they ordered all the most expensive items spent about $1000 and left her $15 tip.. she cried

It seems pretty clear from social science data they just have no idea how to tip, lol

View attachment 621373

Paul this was not the most evil shit I could come up with. There are literal child armies running around africa right now. And there is no evidence blacks tip other blacks well either, lol.

I just listened to this retarded podcast where they spent 45 minutes and never grappled with the real issue. That was all

"here i am on my stoop crying about bad service when people who look like me tip like shit"

THis is a lesson for you Paul.

Stop whining Paul. You sound like the women and queers on this fucking podcast.

No one thinks you tip each other better than whites. Everyone knows that black togetherness bullshit isn't real. Hah

Last edited:

Forum List

Back