Birds of prey face global decline from habitat loss, poisons

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
The "progress" of the human race is inadvertently and stupidly causing the decline in populations of birds of prey. Extinction or drastic reductions of these species of BENEFICIAL predators will enable the proliferation of pests that we deliberately poison. Birds of prey that consume dead animals ingest the poisons and die off.

Loss of habitat contributes heavily to the decline in birds of prey worldwide.

Mankind will eventually be directly responsible for its own extinction.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Despite a few high-profile conservation success stories – like the dramatic comeback of bald eagle populations in North America – birds of prey are in decline worldwide.

A new analysis of data from the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and BirdLife International found that 30% of 557 raptor species worldwide are considered near threatened, vulnerable or endangered or critically endangered. Eighteen species are critically endangered, including the Philippine eagle, the hooded vulture and the Annobon scops owl, the researchers found.

Yeah, never mind all those species who went extinct before Man even showed up. All of it is human-kinds fault!

They adapt very well to their environment.
We have a shitload of Hawks that live in the pine trees along the 6th fairway.
I've seen them snatch Squirrels off of tree limbs and grab Dove in flight.
I'll find at least a half dozen Dove carcasses in my backyard every year.

The "progress" of the human race is inadvertently and stupidly causing the decline in populations of birds of prey. Extinction or drastic reductions of these species of BENEFICIAL predators will enable the proliferation of pests that we deliberately poison. Birds of prey that consume dead animals ingest the poisons and die off.

Or, they shoot them for fun like one Aussie brags about.

Yeah, never mind all those species who went extinct before Man even showed up. All of it is human-kinds fault!
Natural extinction has nothing to do with this thread. There were no pesticides before Man invented them. There was no land clearing for agriculture before Man. There was no logging industry before Man.

They adapt very well to their environment.
We have a shitload of Hawks that live in the pine trees along the 6th fairway.
I've seen them snatch Squirrels off of tree limbs and grab Dove in flight.
I'll find at least a half dozen Dove carcasses in my backyard every year.
Many adapt well to human structures. Somewhere in my photographic records, I have pictures of Peregrine Falcons nesting outside my 26th floor window in downtown Atlanta. I also have pictures of a Red Tailed Hawk dining on a pigeon on the top of a short wall less than ten feet from a busy downtown sidewalk...and pictures of a pair of Mourning Doves nesting and feeding their young just below my bedroom window.

However, none of this detracts from the studies presented in the OP.

The Sixth Great Extinction event is underway. The birds of prey can join a thousand other species that are on their way out from toxins, habitat loss, global warming, loss of prey species etc, etc. etc. Say goodbye to the world as we've known it.

Forum List

Back