Best Pie

Favorite Pie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know this will surely paint me as an oddball, but it is traditional in my family to eat squash pie at Thanksgiving and Christmas, in lieu of pumpkin. I think that my great great grandmother must have had a pumpkin shortage and a squash surplus one year, and created the sacred squash pie recipe to address it. We've been eating it ever since (with COOL WHIP only, never whipped cream). Or, maybe Missourians are just weird. ;)

I've yet to encounter ANYONE in my life whose family also eats squash pie. But, in my opinion, it tastes better than pumpkin.

I made it once with butternut squash. It's really good!

i'm keeping a tally of all the Missourians. So far, i've seen three of us.

not that unrequited net-love doesn't sound like a lot of fun and all...

well that's 'cause were from the Show Me state, Ang.

I have to say.... rhubarb crumble with proper British Devon Custard.....

cheat-rhubarb-crumble-24737.jpg

Ingredients
1 each pie shell (9 inch) 9 inch
2 1/4 cups maple syrup
3/4 cup light cream
1/4 cup flour, all-purpose
4 large eggs
1 cup walnuts optional

Directions
In bowl, whisk together maple syrup, cream, flour and eggs until blended; stir in nuts (if using).

Pour into crust.

Bake in 375 oven for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 and bake for 30-35 minutes longer or until set.

Let cool on rack.

Recipe: Quebec Maple Syrup Pie

Ingredients
1 each pie shell (9 inch) 9 inch
2 1/4 cups maple syrup
3/4 cup light cream
1/4 cup flour, all-purpose
4 large eggs
1 cup walnuts optional

Directions
In bowl, whisk together maple syrup, cream, flour and eggs until blended; stir in nuts (if using).

Pour into crust.

Bake in 375 oven for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 and bake for 30-35 minutes longer or until set.

Let cool on rack.

Recipe: Quebec Maple Syrup Pie

That sounds yummy! Never heard of maple syrup pie before.

This year I baked a pumpkin pie, a squash pie and a swedish apple pie.

According to the family, the apple pie was the best this year! :D

Next year I just might try that maple syrup pie! Thanks!

next year...pies are not just for the holidays....pies are easy to make and can be made with about anything....most people are terrified of pie crusts and the ones in the store are either real pricey or plain bad....

next year...pies are not just for the holidays....pies are easy to make and can be made with about anything....most people are terrified of pie crusts and the ones in the store are either real pricey or plain bad....

Okay, maybe for Christmas...I'm just feeling a bit stuffed at the moment. :tongue:

I am totally FROM Missouri, I spent all my growing-up years there, but I currently live in Florida. ;)

What part of MO? I grew up outside of Kansas City in a little town called Greenwood.

Columbia. but I spent most of my early years in and out of St. Louis.

Forum List

Back