Zone1 Bear spray or python 50 cal?

I actually own a Marlin 1895 and it is a great rifle.
I finally found a 26" barreled version from 2007 in .45-70.

DSCN9420__2__JPG-1150027.JPG

I ended-up going with a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on that one too.

DSCN9424__2__JPG-1154950.JPG

I finally found a 26" barreled version from 2007 in .45-70.

DSCN9420__2__JPG-1150027.JPG

I ended-up going with a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on that one too.

DSCN9424__2__JPG-1154950.JPG
A good rifle to look at, hanging on the wall.
And it will tolerate being touched in places that make most other guns feel uncomfortable!

You would be far better off with a lever action in .45-70. A Marlin M1895 Guide Gun would be great.

8c4bf2e8c70abdbb535dd62e0af1b6e4.jpg

I have one sort of like this one but I opted for a Williams foolproof receiver sight. My example is older so it does not have the cross-bolt safety.

When bears are afoot, I carry a .44 magnum lever action with accompanying .44 mag revolver for close encounters.

Yes....they are fast. Good post. Still not convinced that bear spray is best option.

Actually, bear spray is a better option than a gun. Not only do you not have to be accurate with it, but it is uncomfortable enough to make the bear want to leave you alone without making it feel threatened.

Wound a bear, and they will consider it a threat worthy of tearing apart. Irritate a bear (as with spray) and they will think there's something easier worth pursuing and the irritation isn't worth it.

For me the choice is simple. I don't do bear hunting and actually I don't even approve of it. I don't go hiking in Yellowstone or any other place where I might cross up with an alpha predator like a bear. However recently in my neck of the woods the Black Bear population has become very curious and aggressive and can be found in one's backyard from time to time.
Several of the local males look to weigh in at 4 to 500 lbs.... way the hell beyond any hope of defending yourself against one. The local wisdom is to keep bear spray on you. I think that's pretty stupid. I intend to survive my encounter... people with bear spray sometimes don't. The python 50 cal is a definitive end to the argument.... Not going to need more than one shot...
What’s wrong with a tried and true .45? Cheaper too and ammo readily available.

You would be far better off with a lever action in .45-70. A Marlin M1895 Guide Gun would be great.

8c4bf2e8c70abdbb535dd62e0af1b6e4.jpg

I have one sort of like this one but I opted for a Williams foolproof receiver sight. My example is older so it does not have the cross-bolt safety.
More power in the rifle?

Bear spray has been proven to be more effective than a gun. Why? Because bears are VERY fast when they decide to charge, and in the chaos, unless you are a VERY good shot and cool under pressure, the chances of just wounding the bear and pissing it off are high.

Bear spray? Has a high dispersion rate (don't have to be super accurate) as well as is a major irritant and will cause the bear to want to not be there.

Yeah, the bear spray isn't as lethal, but it's more effective because it's an irritant and will stop the bear quicker.
Spray first 50 cal after

Bear spray has been proven to be more effective than a gun. Why? Because bears are VERY fast when they decide to charge, and in the chaos, unless you are a VERY good shot and cool under pressure, the chances of just wounding the bear and pissing it off are high.

Bear spray? Has a high dispersion rate (don't have to be super accurate) as well as is a major irritant and will cause the bear to want to not be there.

Yeah, the bear spray isn't as lethal, but it's more effective because it's an irritant and will stop the bear quicker.
Cherry bombs?

I'd still go with the bear spray. An irritated bear is much less likely to attack than one that is wounded.

Bear spray? Irritated bear who will think that the cost isn't worth whatever they might have been after.

Gunshot? Seriously pissed off animal that is looking to seriously hurt the thing that hurt it.

Forum List

Back