Zone1 Do the moral and ethical standards of a politician matter to you or is it just important that they are your team ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I think its hman nature to look more kindly on someone who holds similar opinions to yourself.
But is there a line that you cannot cross ?
What is that line ?
If biden is convicted of any offences would you still excuse him ? Similar with Trump.

If you do excuse their faults are you not then partly responsible for their actions ?
This is not party specific. All parties do it, everywhere.
Would we get better politicians if we held them to higher standards ?

I think its hman nature to look more kindly on someone who holds similar opinions to yourself.
What is that line ?
If biden is convicted of any offences would you still excuse him ? Similar with Trump.

If you do excuse their faults are you not then partly responsible for their actions ?
Since I'm not a fan of your average politician, I've always looked at them with skepticism at best (party affiliation irrelevant). Our system incentivizes them to dance between honesty and dishonesty, so you just hope for the best overall. I'd guess it's the same in England.

It wasn't until the elections of 2016, though, that I had to add "at least some discernable degree of honesty, maturity & decency" to my personal list of requirements for President. I guess I never even thought of those until Trump won. Now it has to be #1 on my list, because I want to/have to believe that America is better than this.

Since I'm not a fan of your average politician, I've always looked at them with skepticism at best (party affiliation irrelevant). Our system incentivizes them to dance between honesty and dishonesty, so you just hope for the best overall. I'd guess it's the same in England.

It wasn't until the elections of 2016, though, that I had to add "at least some discernable degree of honesty, maturity & decency" to my personal list of requirements for President. I guess I never even thought of those until Trump won. Now it has to be #1 on my list, because I want to believe that America is better than this.
Libs like Mac1958 cant beat trump on the issues so he suddenly discovers morality as his standard

What is that line ?

All lines between liberalism and conservatism have been blurred in America Tommy.
The tone of the board today so far is hating and political confusion.

Wait until I breathe some life into one of the topics to get the monkeys wound up.

What is that line ?

do you mean like the morals of a ,man that forces his 15 yr old daughter to shower with him??

of molests his son to the point he becomes addicted to crack cocaine and underage hookers??

What is that line ?

if we make politicians responsible for their crimes when they cause horror, things would be better

example...there are probably 10 politicians in the 50th state should be executed for incinerating over 1000 people
schiff should be shot to death by a firing squad for his russia and impeachment hoax

What is that line ?

i'm a big fan of Japanese honor and integrity......when you screw up, you jump 50 stories with no questions asked

I don’t have a party or a side when it comes to politics. The ideology and morals of a candidate are paramount to me; especially since my ideology is very much about the promotion and enforcement of morals/values in society.

Politicians have a high responsibility and thus must be strong. No matter what their view on things is, they represent the entire people and must reign accordingly. And when it is time for war, they must have a prepared military. It is a tool like the carpenter´s hammer.

What is that line ?

We should end partisanship entirely, by making a singular open election where you rank all candidates so there is no need for a run off.

I am far left, progressive, liberal, but dislike Biden for his evil 1994 Federal Crime Bill, his participation in forced insurance of ACA, the evil expansion of war in the Mideast, deliberately starting the war in the Ukraine, etc.
His personal criminal acts like getting Shokin fired and getting kickbacks through Hunter, I do not care much about.

About the only really bad thing Trump did was stack the SCOTUS and end Roe Vs Wade.
Other than that, he started no wars, cost us less on weapons, was right about not panicking over covid, he was not guilty of any of the things he was impeached or indicted on.

Politicians have a high responsibility and thus must be strong. No matter what their view on things is, they represent the entire people and must reign accordingly. And when it is time for war, they must have a prepared military. It is a tool like the carpenter´s hammer.

The problem is the US never had any "time" that needed war since 1812.
So all the wars the US did have were evil and illegal, (since 1812).
The native and Mexican wars were illegal Manifest Destiny.
The Spanish American war was the start of our evil and illegal colonial imperialism of the Monroe Doctrine.

In case people do not know what Pearl Harbor was all about, FDR deliberately put the old White Fleet there as a target, and forced the newer ships to stay out of the harbor. Then he illegally embargoed civilian goods to Japan, like steel, oil, coal, and food. Japan had no choice.

The problem is the US never had any "time" that needed war since 1812.
So all the wars the US did have were evil and illegal, (since 1812).
The native and Mexican wars were illegal Manifest Destiny.
The Spanish American war was the start of our evil and illegal colonial imperialism of the Monroe Doctrine.

In case people do not know what Pearl Harbor was all about, FDR deliberately put the old White Fleet there as a target, and forced the newer ships to stay out of the harbor. Then he illegally embargoed civilian goods to Japan, like steel, oil, coal, and food. Japan had no choice.
The Americans demanded Japan to withdraw from the Philippines or something and withdraw from the Axis in order to normalize the relationship. The offer has been rejected as "interference" but it wasn´t a no go. I would have accepted it.

We should end partisanship entirely, by making a singular open election where you rank all candidates so there is no need for a run off.

I am far left, progressive, liberal, but dislike Biden for his evil 1994 Federal Crime Bill, his participation in forced insurance of ACA, the evil expansion of war in the Mideast, deliberately starting the war in the Ukraine, etc.
His personal criminal acts like getting Shokin fired and getting kickbacks through Hunter, I do not care much about.

About the only really bad thing Trump did was stack the SCOTUS and end Roe Vs Wade.
Other than that, he started no wars, cost us less on weapons, was right about not panicking over covid, he was not guilty of any of the things he was impeached or indicted on.
You're not a leftist at all but it's curious that you want to claim to be one?

Ask a rightist if the forced ACA is leftist. Neither side in America is taking a position on abortion for socially responsible reasons.

None of the other positions you take can be called leftist.

It wasn't until the elections of 2016, though, that I had to add "at least some discernable degree of honesty, maturity & decency" to my personal list of requirements for President. I guess I never even thought of those until Trump won. Now it has to be #1 on my list, because I want to/have to believe that America is better than this.
Just once it would be nice to hear a politician say

Yes, i fucked up

it seems impossible for them to say.

I know a few politicians from different parties. Tthey are generally decent hard working types who want to do a good job.

I think the party machine tends to knock that out of them. Its been a long time since I voted with any enthusiasm. I mainly vote against folk these days.

Over here folk voted for Johnson because he was "a good laugh". Someone you could have a beer with. But they knew his faults and accepted his dishonesty as part of the package.

Is the mess he created down to those people ? I would generally say yes. But its complicated.

I agree with open elections. The rest of it not so much.

Do the moral and ethical standards of a politician matter to you

And here's your first no.

Libs like Mac1958 cant beat trump on the issues so he suddenly discovers morality as his standard

Here's your second no

do you mean like the morals of a ,man that forces his 15 yr old daughter to shower with him??

of molests his son to the point he becomes addicted to crack cocaine and underage hookers??

I largely agree with this with the exception of the indictments. Trump's biggest problem was his toxic personality. It cost him reelection. He simply got lucky the first time because Hillary was more disliked than he was.

Forum List

Back