bariatric surgery ...any advice?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
3rd year of being diabetic and i am done with it....so i am considering bariatric surgery....i know a couple of people who did this and are 'cured'....one no longer has to test at all....so far i have not ask them a bunch of questions....i dont know them that well and fear that its like anything else ...once you do it you wont admit it was a mistake...another issues is bmi....i am 5' 10" and hover at 150 lbs...

so anyone done this....or have advice....

mainly i am seeking advice on the diet after the surgery....i have been told its a bitchy as the diabetic diet and to be careful what i do.....that i may be trading one bitch for another....

I don't think being 5 10 150 warrants surgery.

No ethical doc would do it nor should they

Personally I think you should go the diet and exercise route

That's gastric bypass? At 150lbs? To cure diabetes? Someone has sold you a bill of goods. I am a believer that you can probably cure yourself with...food. Mostly veggies. Get a quality juicer and start running them through the thing, you owe it to yourself to try before taking drastic steps. Watch the film "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" to get a head start. Dude was ailing badly and no longer even takes meds and has helped many others do the same.

That's gastric bypass? At 150lbs? To cure diabetes? Someone has sold you a bill of goods. I am a believer that you can probably cure yourself with...food. Mostly veggies. Get a quality juicer and start running them through the thing, you owe it to yourself to try before taking drastic steps. Watch the film "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" to get a head start. Dude was ailing badly and no longer even takes meds and has helped many others do the same.

I tried the juice fast thing and discovered that I like to actually eat my food

I'm by no means a vegetarian though I was for a 5 year stretch in my late 20s early 30s and I found the book

Eat to Live to be a good resource

Yes. I doubt that you will find a doctor willing to do that at your weight.

I have known some people who have done it. I know of two that died from it. Unlikely but possible.

Look into medically controlled weight loss. They have been making good advances in that area.

I tried the juice fast thing and discovered that I like to actually eat my food

I'm by no means a vegetarian though I was for a 5 year stretch in my late 20s early 30s and I found the book

Eat to Live to be a good resource
I juice and eat, no law against doing both. In the flick it's a temporary fix he called a reset to get your body working right with a lot of nutrition.

lets pay attention....i can juice fuckers...i am diabetic...we can only have so much fruit...and i will be damned if i will juice kale 8 times a damn day....they are considering lower bmi's due to the diabetes....they being that unknow research group.....but they are also saying shortly there should be pills that will do what the surgery does....now if only they could figure out why the intestines suddenly become glucose absorbing machines...i would not consider it at first....i had a fear of being put under but i have had two surgeries since then...over that fear....i have this dream of going in for needed surgery and having all this other stuff done...by pass....arm flaps...etc and so forth...lol...

but rationally i know that its better to roll with what you have that try surgery for a quick answer.....having just watched 'plastic disasters' on hbo docs...

it is made worse by seeing someone who had the surgery just fucking doing great...(do i sound bitter here lol do i?) but in fairness he was unable to control his diabetes....i mean i hear his talking about no longer testing..no meds....ahh the grass is so green in his yard

plus it is real hard to go total vegan or veggie we the growing group of diabetics need protein...4 oz of protein...etc and so froth

5'10" and 150lbs and you are considering bariatric surgery???
And you are 62...I don't get it.
YOu need to watch the documentary "Fed Up".
Juicing is terrible for you. Without the fiber juice is just sugar.
Sugar is not sugar bones. Please watch the documentary.

o did you miss the part where i plan to live forever ......i know its sillie to consider....again i just get into moods where i look for the easy fix

You'll lose the weight. For a year or two, then it'll all come back. Guy at work at it done. He got slim and now he's fat again. I don't know ANYONE who has remained slim after that surgery.

Either learn what makes you fat or limit yourself to 2000 or so calories a day.

You'll lose the weight. For a year or two, then it'll all come back. Guy at work at it done. He got slim and now he's fat again. I don't know ANYONE who has remained slim after that surgery.

Either learn what makes you fat or limit yourself to 2000 or so calories a day.

I know three people who had the surgery. All three are fat again. One of them fatter than before.

Well that's a bunch of BS. We need fiber and no one I know suggests only juicing for life. Veggie & fruit juice contains MANY nutrients and is easily absorbed. When you juice you get fiber as a by product that you can use for all kinds of things. No law says you have to toss it. No one is going to sit and eat 4 carrots and a couple of apples. I run my spinach and kale through the Vitamix so I get all the fiber from them. Most juicers don't do leafy greens very well.

Many people have been healed with juicers, sugar won't do that.

okay i am sorry...for posting during my pity party.....guests inviled.....1...me....i am just feeling sorry for myself is all....

Well that's a bunch of BS. We need fiber and no one I know suggests only juicing for life. Veggie & fruit juice contains MANY nutrients and is easily absorbed. When you juice you get fiber as a by product that you can use for all kinds of things. No law says you have to toss it. No one is going to sit and eat 4 carrots and a couple of apples. I run my spinach and kale through the Vitamix so I get all the fiber from them. Most juicers don't do leafy greens very well.

The easily absorption is the problem ice.
When you drink the juice of two apples, a carrot and a pear let's say. You consumed about 55 grams of sugar. MORE than soda. And because much of the fiber is gone, your intestines cannot process that sugar rush all at once, so your body immediately turns it into fat. PERIOD.
Sugar is why Americans are so fat. PERIOD.

I could only wish my BMI was 21.5 being in the normal range. No longer does my internal engine burn calories like a steam engine, more like a my body is making fat just to spite me.

Al Roker is one person I know who lost weight and has kept it off but I bet he did it by sticking to a diet. So it seems to me that a diet is required whether you have the surgery or not.

I am sure before you do something so drastic you will do some research:

Why the New Surgical Cure for Diabetes Will Fail - Dr. Mark Hyman

Forum List

Back