Bad News for NFL: Most Americans Oppose the Political Kneeling 'Protests'

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Wow this is bad news for the NFL as some sponsors are smelling the burn and are already pulling their advertising.

National Survey: Americans Agree with Trump on National Anthem and NFL Protests - Breitbart

Q4: Now, just thinking about this year, have you watched more football or less football compared to previous years?

More football: 19% [GO TO Q6]
Less football: 51% [GO TO Q5]
About the same: 30% [GO TO Q6]

Q5: Why would you say you are watching less football this year?

Players using the NFL as a stage for their political views: 69%
New rules that reduce physical contact: 5%
There are too many games during the week: 6%
Games last too long: 2%
Pace of play is too slow: 2%
Something else: 12%
Unsure: 4%

Q6: Do you think NFL players should stand and be respectful during the national anthem?

Yes: 64%
No: 24%
Unsure: 12%

This shows a public backlash against the substance and style of the protests. Not only has all the activism driven fans away from watching the games. The fans also substantively disagree with the players using the anthem as a tool for protest. A point buttressed by these follow-up questions:

Q9: Do you support protesting during the national anthem at the beginning of NFL games, or is there a more appropriate place for players to protest?

Support: 31%
There is a more appropriate place to protest: 60%
Unsure: 9%

Q10: In the future, would you prefer to see more politics, less politics, or the same amount of politics during sporting events?

More politics: 7%
Less politics: 80%
Same amount: 13%

The partisan breakdown of the poll is disastrous for the league as well:

Most Americans, 51%, say they have watched less football this year compared to the past. Of respondents who said they have watched less football this year, 69% cite their reason as players using the NFL as a stage for their political views.

Republicans and Non-Partisans have been cutting back on watching football at a higher rate than Democrats, as 66% of Republicans say they have watched less football this year compared to 33% of Democrats. Among Non-Partisans, 55% reported they have watched less football this year compared to the past.​

Schilling Distributing pulls NFL programming from market

Schilling Distributing Company has made the decision to pull all Bud Light point-of-sale material featuring the NFL and New Orleans Saints marks following last weekend’s National Anthem protests. Schilling has been locally Veteran-Owned through three generations since 1950, and it strongly supports our Nation’s flag and law enforcement.

Schilling believes that while everyone has a right to peacefully protest, doing so at the expense of our National Anthem is not an appropriate way to go about it.
USAA members demand company cut ties with NFL

USAA members are calling for the company to ends its sponsorship with the NFL after recent protests by professional athletes during the national anthem.

USAA is the official military appreciation sponsor of the NFL. The "Salute to Service" campaign was launched in 2011 to advertise with the league and show appreciation for the military.

"The focus of USAA's sponsorship is to honor service members, veterans and their families with exclusive access and once-in-a-life experiences at various team and NFL-related events and programs. These efforts include ways for NFL fans, players and teams to show their appreciation for the military and their families," Hartwig said.
Sitting Saints costing publicity and support

The decision by ten Saints players to sit or otherwise demonstrate during the national anthem Sunday and the team's support of them is having a ripple effect.

At least one Mardi Gras Krewe has reversed a decision to have some players ride on floats during the upcoming Carnival season.

Some fans are vowing to drop season tickets, not watch games on TV or boycott the team all together.

Lawmakers are buzzing about state payments to the team, with some questioning if the subsidies should stop.

While it's not clear how much of a long term impact this will have, there is clearly an initial reaction from some who are not happy with the situation.
NFL Players Are Already Losing Endorsements Over the #TakeAKnee BS…. Ads Being Pulled After Anthem Protest – InvestmentWatch

As of today, two NFL players have lost multi-million dollar endorsements for not honoring the anthem and flag and for siding with the communists of the liberal left:
Brandon Marshall of the Broncos lost his deal with Century Link.

Von Miller of the Broncos lost his deal with Phil Long Motors too.

You cannot disrespect the US flag (on the job) and then expect to still get paid. Let this be a lesson to all NFL players….that “MALCOLM X” shit isn’t a good look in real life. Kaep is not returning to the NFL and some of you followed him and took the bait like fools.​

And of course, predictably, the leftards are claiming this is proof of 'White Supremacy'.

Most Americans by far are apolitical. They're not going to appreciate politics being forced into their entertainment.

I read several accounts about Direct TV being swamped with Sunday ticket cancellations....this is going to have a huge ripple effect on merchandise

The Democratic Party anti-American sentiments are on full display everywhere and has been for far to long, of late they've ruined the NFL and likely the NBA is next..

At this point it's goodbye to the America we all grew up with or the end of the Democratic (24/7 hate America fascist) Party ..

I'm glad it's come to this inevitable clash finally and when the dust settles the pendulum can swing to common sense, law abiding, constitutional and the all American patriotic.

Last edited:
ut apparently the NFL is going to get seriously hurt financially before they wake up and dump Goodell.

Owning an NFL team isn't fundamentally a matter of money for many owners. They are vanity projects for guys with way too much money on their hands. They are treated like celebrities in a way that mere CEOs are not.

NFL ownership rules encourage sole ownership of teams. These sole proprietorships don't have stockholders to put pressure on the owner when they take the business in an unwise direction.

Most owners would rather see their teams take a financial hit than be seen as caving in to the mob.

My toilet is clogged! Next time the national anthem plays, I'm kneeling!

I read several accounts about Direct TV being swamped with Sunday ticket cancellations....this is going to have a huge ripple effect on merchandise

Which do people prefer?

Having rights protected, and protests, or losing their rights and not seeing these protests?

yes and directtv is honoring the cancellations if the reason is because of this protesting

what choice do they have though when an customers says let me out of this package

because that is not what i signed up for

or

i am cancelling everything and wont see another penny

--LOL

I asked for Swiss cheese on my burger and the idiot gave me cheddar! I'm kneeling!

I hope that's true. Screw the NFL.

Same for the NBA. These clowns are sure to be brainless followers, too.

I hope that's true. Screw the NFL.

Same for the NBA. These clowns are sure to be brainless followers, too.

And what else are these miserable Middle Class people going to do to forget that the real world exists?

They might go to church, but going to church is kind of boring and you can't get drunk doing it. Get drunk, sure, you can get drunk while getting drunk, but they do this already and it's not enough to hide the pain of their failure of a life. The could watch women's TV, but that would lead them to drinking more and more and more....

So what do you think they could replace watching black people pounding into each other with?

Family perhaps? Now, that'd be new.

Of course. Most people are sick to the backs of their teeth of self-loathing-American and crybaby minority grievance-mongering. See, I've already heard their sob stories a thousandfold over and (cue suspenseful drumroll) I don't care and I'm never going to care. There's no point in them repeating it another thousand times.

Of course. Most people are sick to the backs of their teeth of self-loathing-American and crybaby minority grievance-mongering. See, I've already heard their sob stories a thousandfold over and (cue suspenseful drumroll) I don't care and I'm never going to care. There's no point in them repeating it another thousand times.

Yes, people are fed up of having poverty around them, crime around them, and people moaning about it. But they won't do anything about it. So, it's the American mentality and it's not going to go away any time soon. So stop moaning about it.

Which do people prefer?

Having rights protected, and protests, or losing their rights and not seeing these protests?
21768213_1669854509714118_1862530526504355152_n.jpg

You really mean freedom or push your hate America agenda?

Isnt it ironic to see millionaires protesting about their oppression?

And the NFL just doesnt get it.

Another sign that Trump is winning this

Report: All Patriots To Stand For National Anthem Against Panthers

A league source told CSNNE’s Gary Tanguay on Tuesday that all Patriots players will stand during the national anthem before next Sunday’s game against the Carolina Panthers at Gillette Stadium. Many stood and interlocked their arms during the anthem last Sunday before the game against the Texans, while a large portion kneeled.​

Forum List

Back