Authoritarianism vs Democracy

One of the biggest changes that comes to mind and i think we have a direct and immediate impact is amending the US Constitution to put term limits on Congress.
I agree term limits in congress are a good idea provide they are long enough for them to become become effective at their job. I would also like to see term limits placed on Supreme Court Justices, say 10 or 15 years, certainly not life.

Last edited:
I agree term limits in congress are a good idea provide they are long enough for them to become effect at their job. I would also like to see term limits placed on Supreme Court Justices, say 10 or 15 years, certainly not life.
what about the lower courts?

I agree term limits in congress are a good idea provide they are long enough for them to become effect at their job. I would also like to see term limits placed on Supreme Court Justices, say 10 or 15 years, certainly not life.

The flip side of term limits is you get people in and out of office really quickly for the sole purpose of appeasing special interests.

Just long enough to do the damage and get out. They're actually far more dangerous, truh be told.

Last edited:
There are probably hundreds of articles on a Google search which addresses the danger to our democracy due to authoritarianism. I have no doubt that such a danger does exist. The question is why? Could it be that our democratic system of government is failing the American people and they are looking for an alternative. There is no doubt that the American people do not trust our goverment to do much of anything right. Assuming this is the case, we need to change the way we are governed. I'm not saying throw away the constitution and start all over but rather look at what does not work in our laws, polices, and the constitution and change it. If we don't, we are going get more authoritarian leaders in the presidency and a congress that accomplishes less and less.
I think we Americans see our political system as corrupt and unfair and that it favors some groups over others. It doesn't help that the media is constantly telling them that. Liberals see the rich as favored and not paying their "fair share" while conservatives see the poor as parasites taking what belongs to others. The religious see the country rejecting their voice and values (e.g., gay marriage) while the secular see religion as the force behind blocking inclusiveness and their desired social changes (e.g., gay marriage). Etc.

People who are frustrated, scared, or angry will turn to a demagogue.

The flip side of term limits is you get people in and out of office really quickly for the sole purpose of appeasing special interests.

Just long enough to do the damage and get out. They're actually far more dangerous, truh be told.
I believe a term limit for House members should be about 8 years and about `18 for the Senate. We need more turnover in both houses to bring in new ideas and new talents to Congress. However, limits need to be long enough that knowledge and experience they gain in Congress does not go to waste.

Another change I think we need is to abolish the Filibuster. Having to have a supermajority to get bills passed in the Senate is insane. It has a funny name, but the filibuster is a simple procedural mechanism that allows the minority party to block legislation from advancing in the Senate. The filibuster makes it more difficult for congress to do the job they were sent to Washington to do, pass legislation. The last thing the country needs is a more ineffective congress.

Last edited:
I think we Americans see our political system as corrupt and unfair and that it favors some groups over others. It doesn't help that the media is constantly telling them that. Liberals see the rich as favored and not paying their "fair share" while conservatives see the poor as parasites taking what belongs to others. The religious see the country rejecting their voice and values (e.g., gay marriage) while the secular see religion as the force behind blocking inclusiveness and their desired social changes (e.g., gay marriage). Etc.

People who are frustrated, scared, or angry will turn to a demagogue.
I don't know what all should be changed but somehow we need to make our government and the country operate more efficiently. China as well as other countries with authoritarian governments have created an environment in which capitalism can flourish without the burden of a democratic government. Major legislation. trade agreements, and major policy changes happens in days, not years. How long have we waited for changes in immigration law, 15 years?. We have needed to reduce the cost of healthcare for 10 years. We have needed to modernized our infrastructure for at least 20 years. It's taken 20 years to get out of Afghanistan, yet we accomplished what went in there to do in about 10 years. Because of the way government is structured we could not build the safeguards needed in the Covid stimulus packages to protect from scammers and hackers resulting in a loss of up to 400 billion dollars. People have lost faith in the government because the government can't get things done in a timely manner.

We have got to make government work once again without giving up the principals the nation is build on. If we don't do something we are going to get more authoritarian presidents from both parties who thumb their noses at congress and the constitution and do what they believe their supporters want. I think you can see where this will end up.

I don't know what all should be changed but somehow we need to make our government and the country operate more efficiently. China as well as other countries with authoritarian governments have created an environment in which capitalism can flourish without the burden of a democratic government. Major legislation. trade agreements, and major policy changes happens in days, not years. How long have we waited for changes in immigration law, 15 years?. We have needed to reduce the cost of healthcare for 10 years. We have needed to modernized our infrastructure for at least 20 years. It's taken 20 years to get out of Afghanistan, yet we accomplished what went in there to do in about 10 years. Because of the way government is structured we could not build the safeguards needed in the Covid stimulus packages to protect from scammers and hackers resulting in a loss of up to 400 billion dollars. People have lost faith in the government because the government can't get things done in a timely manner.

We have got to make government work once again without giving up the principals the nation is build on. If we don't do something we are going to get more authoritarian presidents from both parties who thumb their noses at congress and the constitution and do what they believe their supporters want. I think you can see where this will end up.
I've seen plenty of changes in my short lifetime, the majority for the better.

China has been through even greater changes in my lifetime, most of which were not so positive. The gov't there has support that is a mile wide and an inch deep. One economic setback and there could be a coup or revolution.

The real truth is we are a Republic. We morphed into a Democracy. With all of that that you believe is so great, and in these times maybe it is.. Although there was much more of a Republic 55-60 years ago and before then now. The flaws of a Republic are one thing. The flaws of a Democracy are another. Huge government become totalitarian. The same thing you typed about majority. The laws are in place to to put a vice lock on most rights and we have lost rights.
Purveyor of ignorance ^^^ (aka: An idiot-gram)

Q. What are the first words in the Constitution?

A. "We the People"

There are probably hundreds of articles on a Google search which addresses the danger to our democracy due to authoritarianism. I have no doubt that such a danger does exist. The question is why? Could it be that our democratic system of government is failing the American people and they are looking for an alternative. There is no doubt that the American people do not trust our goverment to do much of anything right. Assuming this is the case, we need to change the way we are governed. I'm not saying throw away the constitution and start all over but rather look at what does not work in our laws, polices, and the constitution and change it. If we don't, we are going get more authoritarian leaders in the presidency and a congress that accomplishes less and less.
Globalism and modern corporatism has changed America to a Corporatocracy.
Labor has been cheapened and de-valued due to these two things. Thus there are ever dwindling "jobs for the masses". Solid pay and benefit jobs in manufacturing has been replaced with retail/low wage warehousing etc.
And people erroneously want burger flippers to pay $18 an hour.
Nor feasible.

The problem is the perception of authoritarianism generated by the (mostly) liberal media. President Trump got a bad rap because he was a strong leader and the media hated him for it. Historically the media ignored the most notorious cases of authoritarianism in history because they happened during democrat administrations. FDR's legendary executive order 9066 that authorized the incarceration of American citizens without due process. Harry Truman's executive order bypassing congress that sent Troops to Korea. JFK's Cuban invasion army abandoned at the Bay of Pigs. LBJ's faked crisis that sent Troops to Vietnam. Bill Clinton's bombing of a defenseless country in Europe without congressional approval when he was caught with his pants down. NY governor Andrew Cuomo's executive order that forced nursing homes to admit patients infected with the covid virus.

I've seen plenty of changes in my short lifetime, the majority for the better.

China has been through even greater changes in my lifetime, most of which were not so positive. The gov't there has support that is a mile wide and an inch deep. One economic setback and there could be a coup or revolution.
Looking at China, not the government but the people, there has been uncreditable progress.

This is what Chang'an Avenue - a major street in the capital Beijing - looked like in 1978.
1630724358865.png

Four decades on, the street looks pretty different.
1630724426973.png

Compare a 1978 shop window...
1630724590342.png

... with one from this decade.
1630724661796.png

Since 1982 literacy has increased from 65% to 97%. The GDP has increased from 2 trillion in 1982 to 15 trillion today in US dollars. China greatest accomplishment is not education, economic growth, or even the increase in the standard of living but the elimination of famine. China has suffered from famine every 2 to 5 years for over 2,000 years. The last famine in China was in 1959-61 which is killed an estimated 45 million people.

The Quick Answer:

The open/free market is uncertain and thus will cause uncertainty, but corrects itself organically, deflecting power naturally.

Authoritarianism is easier and quicker. You'll read in history books how horrible people dominated their people and judge all of those citizens as stupid and weak, as if they had a choice, didn't fight, or were privy to all of the evil that was going on during these dictators' reigns.

Basically, today's modern American leftists are impatient and pissed off that people who don't agree with them are allowed to exist in modern society. Everything evolves from that. They don't want to have to justify their claims and ideals. There's no time for that, they're right, and everyone just needs to get out of the way or else.

It's so inspiring.

Free market capitalism does not "correct itself organically". That was one of Milton Friedman's lies. He said that wages and prices would "self adjust". Nothing of the kind happened in any country where his reforms were tried. Instead, wages stagnated, prices rose, poverty increased, and markets were destabilized. The rich got richer, the poor got poorer, and protests were violently put down.

The USA has been flirted with unfettered capitalism since Reagan and is has resulted in higher prices, stagnating wages, and destabilized markets leading to 3 economic crashes in 40 years. Americans have been voting for "change" since 2008 and Republicans have been blocking any kind of meaningful economic changes that the people want.

Free market capitalism does not "correct itself organically". That was one of Milton Friedman's lies. He said that wages and prices would "self adjust". Nothing of the kind happened in any country where his reforms were tried. Instead, wages stagnated, prices rose, poverty increased, and markets were destabilized. The rich got richer, the poor got poorer, and protests were violently put down.

The USA has been flirted with unfettered capitalism since Reagan and is has resulted in higher prices, stagnating wages, and destabilized markets leading to 3 economic crashes in 40 years. Americans have been voting for "change" since 2008 and Republicans have been blocking any kind of meaningful economic changes that the people want.
That is just simply and categorically wrong.
Sure Reagan has almost a child's vision of economics, meaning he was very naive about the dark side of business.
In a perfect world, trickle down economics is the perfect way to organize and run an economy. (Ask Obama, he used trickle down economics like no other President)
But it ignores greed. Self greed, to the point of hoarding money by literally a handful of individuals.
But Reagan did not create what we have today. Globalism and modern corporatism.
That came with the next Presidency. The trifecta of modern corporatism - Larry Summers, Robert Rubin and Alan Greenspan.
These guys had a lot of help on both sides of the aisle. These three guys set the foundation for an investor based economy.
And you probably have only heard of Greenspan.

Forum List

Back