'Essence of authoritarianism': Expert warns 'Project 2025' would create a Trump 'autocracy'

That has been one of the most chilling parts of this whole disaster.

So I have to wonder: Do these people not know history, or do they think they can just do it better?

They do NOT know history, and they're being fed a distorted view of history by right wing media.

Look at how many of these people who believe that George Soros was the puppetmaster being Hitler's rise to power. When he was 3 years old.

Half of the on-air personalities on MSNBC are disaffected Republicans who have never said a disparaging word about ANY Republican President other than Donald Trump.
I don’t know if it’s half but there are plenty, and you are right…and all of them are out of a job because trump came in and cleaned house. Who can blame them for whining

That has been one of the most chilling parts of this whole disaster.

So I have to wonder: Do these people not know history, or do they think they can just do it better?
They stupidly believe that they can control The Beast once it's been unleashed.

Untold millions of good, decent Germans, desperate for a remedy, thought exactly the same in the 1932-1933 time frame.
-------

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

Last edited:
They stupidly believe that they can control The Beast once it's been unleashed.

Untold millions of good, decent Germans, desperate for a remedy, thought exactly the same in the 1932-1933 time frame.
Yes, and incredibly, Germany was in far worse shape then than America is now. Completely different situations.

But these people have been driven into a paranoid frenzy by the voices they choose to trust. They're desperate without reason.

I don’t know if it’s half but there are plenty, and you are right…and all of them are out of a job because trump came in and cleaned house. Who can blame them for whining

None of them are out of a job because of Donald Trump.

Nothing that Donald Trump has done to the Republican Party can be called "cleaning house". Far from it. Trump has conducted a hostile take-over, and fired anyone who refuses to say that he won the 2020 election.

Why do Cult members always characterize any criticism of the criminal they elected President as "whining". Trump is the guy who is constantly whining. It's UNFAIR. Nobody has been treated so badly as he has. Witch hunt!!!!

Once again, they claim that Democrats are behaving just like Trump.

The Heritage Foundation — a well-funded, influential far-right group in Washington, DC — has been quietly vetting tens of thousands of arch-conservative acolytes to staff up the federal government under the next Republican administration as part of its "Project 2025" presidential transition plan. One scholar of authoritarian movements around the globe is sounding the alarm over what that would mean should former President Donald Trump win a second term in the White House.

During a Saturday segment on MSNBC, New York University professor Ruth Ben-Ghiat told host Ali Velshi that Project 2025 would effectively transform American government from a meritocratic democracy to a regime resembling Vladimir Putin's Russia. She pointed to Heritage's calls to eliminate numerous government agencies that serve as checks on the executive branch as merely one example.

"The essence of authoritarianism is removing restraints on the leader and making him immune from prosecution by domesticating government," Ben-Ghiat said. "And so some of what Project 2025 proposes, like abolishing the DOJ and the FBI is designed for that end, to make it impossible to prosecute Trump and allow him to commit crimes with impunity."

More at the link below...

Sounds ominous to me! What do you think?
Sounds like you are trying to insult some people by pretending to analyze some issue.
That NYU prof is a known nutcase .

Sounds like you are trying to insult some people by pretending to analyze some issue.
That NYU prof is a known nutcase .

She's not the ONLY person who is saying this. So why are you focussing on just one person when I can think of a half dozen pundits who are saying EXACTLY the same thing, based on their reading of the manifesto?

The Heritage Foundation isn't hiding their plans or their intentions. They've published them on their website. The forces that are aligning to take down the Constitution have been working for decades to end democracy in the USA.

Well Bolton is right. Look at the mess he made of the covid response. All Trump knows how to do is to steal money through fraud and deceipt. That's all he's interested in doing.

That and making people he doesn't like suffer. Trump has all of the anger and cruelty of an abused child with a self esteem problem. Unchecked, his worst impulses could be incredibly dangerous not just for the USA.

Yes, and incredibly, Germany was in far worse shape then than America is now. Completely different situations.
Agreed.
But these people have been driven into a paranoid frenzy by the voices they choose to trust.
Ya can't fix "stupid". :abgg2q.jpg:
They're desperate without reason.
Oh, I dunno... I actually share some of their concerns... it's just that they're clueless on how to go about fixing it.

And they're dumb enough to think their elderly Orange Albatross has the answers... truly a tragedy for the Republic. :oops:

The Heritage Foundation — a well-funded, influential far-right group in Washington, DC — has been quietly vetting tens of thousands of arch-conservative acolytes to staff up the federal government under the next Republican administration as part of its "Project 2025" presidential transition plan. One scholar of authoritarian movements around the globe is sounding the alarm over what that would mean should former President Donald Trump win a second term in the White House.

During a Saturday segment on MSNBC, New York University professor Ruth Ben-Ghiat told host Ali Velshi that Project 2025 would effectively transform American government from a meritocratic democracy to a regime resembling Vladimir Putin's Russia. She pointed to Heritage's calls to eliminate numerous government agencies that serve as checks on the executive branch as merely one example.

"The essence of authoritarianism is removing restraints on the leader and making him immune from prosecution by domesticating government," Ben-Ghiat said. "And so some of what Project 2025 proposes, like abolishing the DOJ and the FBI is designed for that end, to make it impossible to prosecute Trump and allow him to commit crimes with impunity."

I think she’s a little cracked

Oh, I dunno... I actually share some of their concerns... it's just that they're clueless on how to go about fixing it.
That's fair. I have agreements to at least some degree with them as well.

But this insane ignorant caveman politics crap is not a long term solution. It's counter-productive, but it's all they know.

I said the same thing to the lefties here with their stupid PC/Identity Politics crap, and it gave us Trump. I guess we'll see if I'm right again.

I think President Trump is a gifted dealmaker who wins friends across the globe for America.

I think President Trump is a gifted dealmaker who wins friends across the globe for America.
tqs5v4i34irc1.jpeg

Forum List

Back