Austerity making economy worse

keep ignoring the facts
"Keep Ignoring The Facts" should be your signature line because you ignored the facts IN THE ARTICLE YOU POSTED!:
From your link:
However, reining in the budget deficits will help the economy in the long run, CBO said. Large and growing budget deficits would “crowd out” private investment once the economy is running at its full potential again, reducing potential GDP by up to 1.9% in 2021.

You actually expected TM to read the information she linked to?

Really?

From Market Watch

With households still constrained by too much debt and flat wage growth, with businesses constrained by slow growth in sales, and with government pulling back, it’s going to take five more years before we’ll close the output gap — the difference between what we could produce and what we’ll actually produce.

The output gap is the numerical manifestation of the human tragedy that’s befallen our economy. It represents the wasted years lost to unemployment, the investment that wasn’t made, the consumption that was foregone. For eight grim years beginning in 2008 and ending in 2015, the estimated output gap is $4.6 trillion, including nearly $2 trillion between now and 2015.

We need stimulus, not austerity, to close that gap. If we don’t close it, we’ll suffer needless unemployment, poverty, hardship, foreclosures, and bankruptcies. Eight years is a long time to put off the dreams of an entire nation.

Market Watch is not the source of all truth, you nattering nabob of nonsense.

If households are burdened with debt, perhaps it would behoove you to understand why they took on more debt than they could afford in the first place.

And more stimulus just means saddling future generations with more debt while the government engages in deficit spending. That just makes the problem worse - something I doubt you will grok.

Of course balencing the budget will help in the long run.

Where did anyone claim it would not.

if you want to get to a position where we are bringing in more revenue to do so then stimulus is the way to go.

Read the damned article you clowns

Of course balencing the budget will help in the long run.

Where did anyone claim it would not.

if you want to get to a position where we are bringing in more revenue to do so then stimulus is the way to go.

Read the damned article you clowns

The article is nothing but opinion and speculation.

How much revenue did the last stimulus create?

are you aware that nearly every economist in the world sayds it worked?

I have a policy of not clicking on links for which the poster has neither the intellectual competency nor courtesy to explain their relevance in his or her own words.

Usually I trust the CBO's objectivity so someone is going to have to help me understand how the alternative, government spending more, which will either have to come from higher taxes or adding more to the debt is going to put us in a better situation.

You might ask Bush.

are you aware that nearly every economist in the world sayds it worked?

I don't think so. And this was back in April 2010, wonder what they're thinking is now.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/26/news/economy/NABE_survey/

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The recovery is picking up steam as employers boost payrolls, but economists think the government's stimulus package and jobs bill had little to do with the rebound, according to a survey released Monday.
In latest quarterly survey by the National Association for Business Economics, the index that measures employment showed job growth for the first time in two years -- but a majority of respondents felt the fiscal stimulus had no impact.
NABE conducted the study by polling 68 of its members who work in economic roles at private-sector firms. About 73% of those surveyed said employment at their company is neither higher nor lower as a result of the $787 billion Recovery Act, which the White House's Council of Economic Advisers says is on track to create or save 3.5 million jobs by the end of the year.
That sentiment is shared for the recently passed $17.7 billion jobs bill that calls for tax breaks for businesses that hire and additional infrastructure spending. More than two-thirds of those polled believe the measure won't affect payrolls, while 30% expect it to boost hiring "moderately."

Last edited:
Usually I trust the CBO's objectivity so someone is going to have to help me understand how the alternative, government spending more, which will either have to come from higher taxes or adding more to the debt is going to put us in a better situation.

You might ask Bush.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well, that didn't take long.

Forum List

Back