August 11 2011 Republican debate Thread

My take:

Pawlenty - Nice weak attack on Bachmann! No abortion for rape and incest victims, fool. Stick a fork in him.

Bachmann - Looked like the robot she is. I can't believe people support her.

Santorum - His we don't kill the rapist, so why kill the baby caused by the rape, huh? And that might have been his best comment of the night. He sucks also.

Ron Paul - Started out strong, but always ends up on the nutjob wagon!!!

Huntsman - I was actually impressed with him, however, I don't think he will ever get more than 0.05 of the vote.

Cain - My man! The clear cut winner. Great responses to every question. He is DA MAN!!!

Newt - Probably did the most to raise his star. He showed off his strength. He is the idea guy.

Romney - He was the winner overall. I won't say he won the debate, but as the frontrunner he really just needed to be seen in a positive light and not get stuck anywhere. He did both!

I think Ron Paul is a very smart man.

I think he truly believes in his policies.

I agree with much of what he says.

But here is the honest truth about why I don't support Dr. Paul, lampoon it at your leisure.

One of the main reasons I am a Conservative is...wait for it...I am personally conservative.

Ron Paul's platform is too much change too quickly.

Taking a 90 degree corner at 100 MPH in your lumbering Vista Cruiser is going to kill you just as quickly as driving it over a cliff.

And the U.S.S. United States has a lot more momentum that the Vista Cruiser.

Trying to make huge course corrections over a short period will IMO do just as much damage as doing nothing.

What we need is small course corrections over 20 or 30 years to get the ship back on track.

I like Ron Paul--but he goes over the top on some of his statements. I think we're going to see his son Rand Paul rise up in this country--and he may actually be the nominee for President one day.

I have to ask you this though. You appear to be a Perry supporter who will be announcing some time soon. What is it you like about him?

I find him to be a little to socially conservative to attract independents--and him being from Texas--he already has 3 strikes against him--as the American populace will associate him with G.W. Bush.

You need a little social conservatism to win the nomination.

Look at the stage last night.

Romney...the closest to being electable...but mostly a flip-flopping, big government, Romneycare, Massachusetts Republican, automaton...although I'll give him props..he did do well last night.

Newt...I like him, but he has too much baggage.

Paul...outlined above.

Bachmann...not ready.

Cain...not yet ready.

Pawlenty...Ha.

Santorum...Good Grief.

Huntsman...Should be running in the Democratic Primary.

Perry...

• appeals to fiscal conservatives
  • appeals to social conservative
  • appeals to tea party
  • appeals to main stream conservatives
  • appeals to blue dog southern democrats
  • appeals to disappointed main stream democrats who are interested in creating jobs and the economy.

That's pretty much a perfect storm against a weakened Obama.

But here is the honest truth about why I don't support Dr. Paul, lampoon it at your leisure.

One of the main reasons I am a Conservative is...wait for it...I am personally conservative.

Ron Paul's platform is too much change too quickly, both for me and much of the party.

Taking a 90 degree corner at 100 MPH in your lumbering Vista Cruiser is going to kill you just as quickly as driving it over a cliff.

Trying to make huge course corrections over a short period will IMO do just as much damage as doing nothing.

I mean, talk about creating uncertainty!

What we need, again IMO, is small course corrections over 20 or 30 years to get the ship back on track.
Ron Paul has talked about gradually changing things. He even mentioned in the debate that auditing the Fed is the first step, and he was against just saying "close its doors tomorrow." Never once did he say we must wake up tomorrow and change everything. That is impossible and impractical, which you are right to point out. But it is also not his position.

I have to go back and watch this debate tonight.

I will say though that I find it amusing that Ron Paul supporters like Stashman continue to use internet polls as evidence that he won the debate. Especially when on other websites, I see Ron Paul fans advocate to vote-bomb these polls with Paul.

The Fox News poll being one of the more popular ones.

The same thing happened back in 2008 too.

This one is from Fox your electronic God.

Ron Paul Wins Presidential Straw Poll at CPAC -- Again - FoxNews.com

And here:

Ron Paul Wins FOX News 2011 Iowa GOP Debate Poll

Deny it or not but America is speaking loudly that its time to return to a Constitutional government. What strikes me odd is the fact that you seem to be anti-Constitutional.
Your an American right?

My take:

Pawlenty - Nice weak attack on Bachmann! No abortion for rape and incest victims, fool. Stick a fork in him.

Santorum - His we don't kill the rapist, so why kill the baby caused by the rape, huh? And that might have been his best comment of the night. He sucks also.

Huntsman - I was actually impressed with him, however, I don't think he will ever get more than 0.05 of the vote.

Cain - My man! The clear cut winner. Great responses to every question. He is DA MAN!!!

Newt - Probably did the most to raise his star. He showed off his strength. He is the idea guy.

Romney - He was the winner overall. I won't say he won the debate, but as the frontrunner he really just needed to be seen in a positive light and not get stuck anywhere. He did both!

What does Ron Paul say exactly that makes him a nut job?

The polls show Ron Paul won by a large margin, and the odds are that he will win the Ame's Iowa straw poll. Like it or not he won, and most of America can clearly see that.

My take:

The polls show Ron Paul won by a large margin, and the odds are that he will win the Ame's Iowa straw poll. Like it or not he won, and most of America can clearly see that.

The polls that Ron Paul supporters admit to cheating on?

Is that how you win a debate?

My take:

Voting in a public poll isn't cheating.

I have to go back and watch this debate tonight.

I will say though that I find it amusing that Ron Paul supporters like Stashman continue to use internet polls as evidence that he won the debate. Especially when on other websites, I see Ron Paul fans advocate to vote-bomb these polls with Paul.

The Fox News poll being one of the more popular ones.

The same thing happened back in 2008 too.

When you watch the debate tonight. Listen to the Paul supporters in the audience scream louder than normal every time he opens his mouth.

Having watched Paul I doubt if he supports some of the tactics his followers use

So are they supposed to stay quiet? Tell me ONE thing Ron Paul say's that he supports that is not constitutional. The fact is that you can't, so the question is why are you(A so called American) against ANYONE that is a strict constitutionalists?

Ron Paul's platform is too much change too quickly, both for me and much of the party.

I mean, talk about creating uncertainty!

What we need, again IMO, is small course corrections over 20 or 30 years to get the ship back on track.
Ron Paul has talked about gradually changing things. He even mentioned in the debate that auditing the Fed is the first step, and he was against just saying "close its doors tomorrow." Never once did he say we must wake up tomorrow and change everything. That is impossible and impractical, which you are right to point out. But it is also not his position.

I get that...but it's the totality...the overwhelming number of big changes he proposes. IMO the reality is it's too much change for most conservatives to handle all at once.

Ron Paul's platform is too much change too quickly.

What we need is small course corrections over 20 or 30 years to get the ship back on track.

I like Ron Paul--but he goes over the top on some of his statements. I think we're going to see his son Rand Paul rise up in this country--and he may actually be the nominee for President one day.

I have to ask you this though. You appear to be a Perry supporter who will be announcing some time soon. What is it you like about him?

I find him to be a little to socially conservative to attract independents--and him being from Texas--he already has 3 strikes against him--as the American populace will associate him with G.W. Bush.

Romney...the closest to being electable...but mostly a flip-flopping, big government, Romneycare, Massachusetts Republican, automaton...although I'll give him props..he did do well last night.

Paul...outlined above.

Bachmann...not ready.

Cain...not yet ready.

Pawlenty...Ha.

Santorum...Good Grief.

Perry...

• appeals to tea party
  • appeals to disappointed main stream democrats who are interested in creating jobs and the economy.

I re-read this, and it sounds too harsh in regards to Romney, so allow me to clarify.

Romney couldn't win the nomination last election for those reasons.

Nothing has significantly changed about Romney.

That said...given this current crop of candidates, Perry is my first choice, followed by Romney.

Last edited:

Paul...outlined above.

Bachmann...not ready.

Cain...not yet ready.

Pawlenty...Ha.

Santorum...Good Grief.

Perry...

• appeals to tea party

I re-read this, and it sounds too harsh in regards to Romney, so allow me to clarify.

That said...given this current crop of candidates, Perry is my first choice, followed my Romney.

I personally think Perry is Romney without the baggage of the name, if you catch my drift. Some people are excited about Perry right now as an alternative to Romney, but once it hits that he was a Democrat who chaired Al Gore's presidential campaign in '88 I think people will abandon ship. Not to mention that the Tea Party didn't support him for Governor, so there's no reason they'll support him for President.

Paul...outlined above.

Bachmann...not ready.

Cain...not yet ready.

Pawlenty...Ha.

Santorum...Good Grief.

Perry...

• appeals to tea party

That said...given this current crop of candidates, Perry is my first choice, followed my Romney.

I personally think Perry is Romney without the baggage of the name, if you catch my drift. Some people are excited about Perry right now as an alternative to Romney, but once it hits that he was a Democrat who chaired Al Gore's presidential campaign in '88 I think people will abandon ship. Not to mention that the Tea Party didn't support him for Governor, so there's no reason they'll support him for President.

I think the fact that Perry was a once a Democrat will not hurt him with Republicans and will help him with independents and moderates.

Reagan was once a Democrat.

Hillary was once a Republican.

I voted for a blue dog southern Democrat Congressman for 15 years.

There's a colossal difference in ideology between a Texas blue dog Democrat and a liberal Massachusetts Democrat.

I believe it will help him garner independent voters as a guy who's seen the situation from both sides of the tracks.

I think the fact that Perry was a once a Democrat will not hurt him with Republicans and will help him with independents and moderates.

Reagan was once a Democrat.

Hillary was once a Republican.

I voted for a blue dog southern Democrat Congressman for 15 years.

There's a colossal difference in ideology between a Texas blue dog Democrat and a liberal Massachusetts Democrat.

I believe it will help him garner independent voters as a guy who's seen the situation from both sides of the tracks.

I think this is a different year, however. I think purity is much more important with Republican voters than it's been in the past, and especially the fact that he worked for Al Gore in '88 will hurt him. What do you think about the Tea Party going against him during his re-election campaign in 2010? Do you really think they'll support him for President?

Bachmann surpassed my expectations.

Paul performance was underwhelming...I expected him to do much better.

That was the difference between 4th and 5th.

But in reality, this debate was Newt, Romney, then everyone else and Huntsman last.

But she's so fake though. She looks like she's struggling the whole time to make sure she says what she's supposed to say and at any moment she could snap from the pressure.

And she opened right up with a rant about Obama and spouted talking points after Baier asked the panel to try and refrain from doing just that.

I think she's out of her league and really doesn't belong on this level. She's better just being a tea party figure and leaving it at that.

Wait a minute, didn't every single one of them open up with their answers to the first round of questions about Obama?

I am pretty sure they did. So much so that by the time they finished that first round, I wondered just exactly when they were going to start debating.

Immie

I suppose most did, but I watched it on youtube and skipped through for Paul's answers. I caught a little bit of each of the candidates answers to some questions but I only saw Bachman's opener besides Paul. I don't believe I remember Paul going off on Obama though.

My take:

In last nights debate we saw Newt make the comment of how he thinks the Fed should be audited. Why did he do this? Because as much as I dislike him he is a smart man, and can see how America is embracing Ron Paul and is using Ron Paul's message for himself for political gain. Show me any other time that Newt has stated this prior to this election season.

This should be proof enough for you of the impact Paul is having on the American voters.

But she's so fake though. She looks like she's struggling the whole time to make sure she says what she's supposed to say and at any moment she could snap from the pressure.

And she opened right up with a rant about Obama and spouted talking points after Baier asked the panel to try and refrain from doing just that.

I think she's out of her league and really doesn't belong on this level. She's better just being a tea party figure and leaving it at that.

Wait a minute, didn't every single one of them open up with their answers to the first round of questions about Obama?

I am pretty sure they did. So much so that by the time they finished that first round, I wondered just exactly when they were going to start debating.

Immie

I suppose most did, but I watched it on youtube and skipped through for Paul's answers. I caught a little bit of each of the candidates answers to some questions but I only saw Bachman's opener besides Paul. I don't believe I remember Paul going off on Obama though.

All questions for and answers by Ron Paul during last nights debate.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76LFwMnq6bE]All Of Ron Paul's Iowa Fox GOP Debate Question & Answers - YouTube[/ame]

In last nights debate we saw Newt make the comment of how he thinks the Fed should be audited. Why did he do this? Because as much as I dislike him he is a smart man, and can see how America is embracing Ron Paul and is using Ron Paul's message for himself for political gain. Show me any other time that Newt has stated this prior to this election season.

This should be proof enough for you of the impact Paul is having on the American voters.

Sorry, but most American voters have no idea who Ron Paul is

Sorry, but most American voters have no idea who Ron Paul is
This might be the case, but I doubt it. It was the case in 2008 but not this time around.

And it doesn't matter about "most voters" because right now it only matters what the PRIMARY voters know, and people who vote in primaries are typically the most knowledgeable and informed about politics.

Paul doesn't need "most american voters" unless he wins the nomination, in which case everyone would have no other choice but to learn about him.

Forum List

Back