Attention Democrats of this board

First time voter here for 2012.... What has Obama done that should make me vote at all (since I feel the Republican field is weak).

An anecdote.

I felt Al Gore didn't warrant my vote in 2000. So I wrote in "Harry Truman". Then we got that disaster George W. Bush for eight years.

That's when I had a magical revelation.

When it comes to elections in this country (and especially the presidency), you aren't voting for someone. You are voting against the other guy.

I am voting for Obama because the GOP field is fucking scary. The GOP unto itself is fucking scary.

First time voter here for 2012.... What has Obama done that should make me vote at all (since I feel the Republican field is weak).

An anecdote.

I felt Al Gore didn't warrant my vote in 2000. So I wrote in "Harry Truman". Then we got that disaster George W. Bush for eight years.

When it comes to elections in this country (and especially the presidency), you aren't voting for someone. You are voting against the other guy.

I am voting for Obama because the GOP field is fucking scary. The GOP unto itself is fucking scary.

I thought about writing in someone just for the humor factor, but examples of why the GOP is scary?

Okay, I'm not a Democrat, but I don't think the Obama administration has been completely without merit.

Obama did, eventually, get us out of Iraq. He's given some genuinely good speeches (the one after Gabby GIffords shooting comes to mind). He's stepped up diplomatic efforts abroad, with slightly less emphasis on military threats - though he's made no substantive changes to our foreign policy.

Pretty much all of his other 'achievements' I consider bad policy, so that's all I got.

If you vote, don't play the lesser of two evils game. Vote for someone who substantially reflects your values - otherwise your vote is truly wasted.

An anecdote.

With respect, this is the worst advice I can think of regarding voting. And one of the biggest reasons democracy is broken. To be fair, this fallacy is encouraged by our voting system, which needs to change - but it's still a fallacy and we, as voters, shouldn't fall for it.

An anecdote.

I thought about writing in someone just for the humor factor, but examples of why the GOP is scary?

You mean other than the fact that (with the exception of Paul who won't win) they are all on board with a pre-emptive war in Iran?

I am assuming you are of fighting age. You might be surprised about how much one election can affect you.

Whatever you do, don't write a name in. It's just a waste of your constitutional rights. When I was in college in the late 90s a snooty (and liberal) political science professor pontificated for an hour about why our votes didn't count and how voting was a waste of time and he only did it as a "celebration of freedom of speech".

I wonder if he felt like an ass after 2000 when the election was decided by a few hundred votes in Florida.

Your vote counts. Don't let anybody tell you differently.

An anecdote.

With respect, this is the worst advice I can think of regarding voting. And one of the biggest reasons democracy is broken. To be fair, this fallacy is encouraged by our voting system, which needs to change - but it's still a fallacy and we, as voters, shouldn't fall for it.

Why? I am pragmatic. I recognize that no single candidate is going to reflect my views and opinions 100%. However, there sure as hell are candidates I fundamentally disagree with. I am voting to keep him out of office.

It's absolutely a consequence of our winner takes all system which gives us two dominant parties.

To change that would require fundamentally changing our country.

An anecdote.

Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil.
Last presidential election, neither was worthy of my vote and neither got it. Might happen again this time around.

Do you remember the state of this damn country when Obama took office. Are we in a depression right now because of it?

To me, do a little research and see how bad things were when he took office after Bush. Educate yourself and learn what filibusters are and how the republicans are a party of no. When a party votes against something THEY proposed but since Obama said he liked it, they had to, HAD TO vote against it, that is a party of no.

Again, we are not in a depression. That alone should make you want to vote against the party that almost got us there.

An anecdote.

Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil.
Last presidential election, neither was worthy of my vote and neither got it. Might happen again this time around.

I suppose that would be relevant if you view common politicians as "evil" and not regular men with ideas and flaws that can greatly help or harm the country.

Do you homework, listen to what the candidates say but measure their words by their prior actions. I agree with most of Obama's voiced agenda, I am disappointed with his continued efforts to compromise with the GOP who will not compromise.

Use the internet to verify claims made (even on this thread) that Obama accomplished nothing. Here's a listing of some of them:

Obama Administration’s Achievements (Thus Far) » Obama's Achievements Center

Good !

I am glad the left sees us that way.

Check with Truthmatters, she'll fill you in on how to vote 2,3 or 4 times like a good democrat should.

Republican much? Regardless of if i was a democrat or not, I wouldn't do such thing if I even voted at all..

Its not so much being repub, more along the lines of understanding party history Naive one.

Good !

I am glad the left sees us that way.

It's not just the left.

Just so I have this right.... You will over look the rampant corruption. The theft of our tax dollars, the non prosecution of criminals based on what might happen.

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Forum List

Back