The Most Irritating Question

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
"Can I ask you a question?"

To me, this is the most meaningless, vacuous, irritating collection of words imaginable.

There is no law or rule of man or nature that demands permission to ask a question of another human.

How about...

"No, you may not ask me a question!" But that's ineffective because the fukker has already asked one, and you responded.

The next time you are inclined to ask whether you can ask a question, just say, "Fuck it," and ask your fucking question. What's the worst that could happen?

A refusal to answer? An answer that you don't like? Sarcasm or a false answer?

Take the risk. You won't regret it.

"Can I ask you a question?"

To me, this is the most meaningless, vacuous, irritating collection of words imaginable.

There is no law or rule of man or nature that demands permission to ask a question of another human.

How about...

"No, you may not ask me a question!" But that's ineffective because the fukker has already asked one, and you responded.

The next time you are inclined to ask whether you can ask a question, just say, "Fuck it," and ask your fucking question. What's the worst that could happen?

A refusal to answer? An answer that you don't like? Sarcasm or a false answer?

Take the risk. You won't regret it.
The nuances of this question perhaps escape you. It is a pre-emptive request for your time and permission to indulge the person in an answer to a much longer, more critical question (to the asker). Perhaps you are in possession of knowledge they seek, or your opinion is important to a particular circumstance.

Yes, on its face it is a horrible configuration of words which negates itself, However, to the more sophisticated, it is a beautiful assumptive approach which puts a man in a difficult position. First, his natural curiousity drives him to answer in the affirmative ("I wonder what he wants to ask me?"). Second, he then feels committed to respond to the question, even if the question may be uncomfortable or something he didn't wish to divulge.

This question can invite all kinds of different and exciting outcomes, the world is your oyster after you ask that one.

Last edited:
It's a way of preparing the listener. If you are preoccupied you might reply "yes, but hold on for one minute" or you might hear "sure, what it is it?" but it's a way of showing consideration.

This should be obvious, but not for everyone.

It's a form of polite preparatory inquisition. The only minute objection I might have is, properly, the question should be "May I ask you a question?".

Forum List

Back