Astronomical unit

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
Scientists define an astronomical unit as the distance from the earth to the sun or around 92 million miles or so. But what constitutes an astronomical unit in another solar system? Would they define it as the distance from the third planet to the sun of that star system? What if it had no third planet or no planets? Or would they simply use the earth standard unit of 92 million miles being a au? I think they would use earth standard but don't really know.

Scientists define an astronomical unit as the distance from the earth to the sun or around 92 million miles or so. But what constitutes an astronomical unit in another solar system? Would they define it as the distance from the third planet to the sun of that star system? What if it had no third planet or no planets? Or would they simply use the earth standard unit of 92 million miles being a au? I think they would use earth standard but don't really know.

It would probably depend on what planet we colonized, or what planet was occupied by the indigenous residents.

Galactically speaking, it's a very small unit of measure, like a millimeter.

• Banned
It would probably depend on what planet we colonized, or what planet was occupied by the indigenous residents.

Galactically speaking, it's a very small unit of measure, like a millimeter.
True, but it would only be used in system. I think using the solar system it self would cause consistency problems. Again, what if it had no planets?

True, but it would only be used in system. I think using the solar system it self would cause consistency problems. Again, what if it had no planets?

I think it's really just a unit given to explain distances most people can't understand anyway. I doubt it would be used at all if interstellar/superluminal travel became possible.

• Banned
Realistically speaking I simply do not see that ever happening. Colonizing anywhere outside of Earth, that is.
I dunno, people didn't think we could fly at first, but you're probably right. But didn't say colonizing, just in general. You pop in to explore a place and how do you define vast solar distances n that system? Imo, saying we are 7 au from this systems asteroid belt is easier that saying we are 644 million miles away.

Realistically speaking I simply do not see that ever happening. Colonizing anywhere outside of Earth, that is.

150 years ago flight was considered a joke. 100 years ago space travel as a joke.

We suffer from severe technology stasis bias because of rapidity of our technological evolution.

50 years ago if you told a person each one of us could pull up the world's knowledge in seconds in something the size of a wallet they would have laughed at you.

• Banned
I think it's really just a unit given to explain distances most people can't understand anyway. I doubt it would be used at all if interstellar/superluminal travel became possible.
In system distances?

An astronomical unit is the same everywhere. It's standardized.

Those ETs don't know what they're talking about. They don't even like our solar system, rating it only one star.
Those clowns must still think they're from Alpha Centauri or something!

It's just a measuring stick that is super long. Its easier to say "astronomical unit" than it is to say "585 billion, 760 million feet" or even "92 million miles".

Last edited:
It's just a measuring stick that is super long. Its easier to say "astronomical unit" than it is to say "585 billion, 760 million feet" or even "92 million miles".
That's right, so what would they use in other systems?

I don't know, but I have had countless women tell me I have an astronomical unit.

Perhaps that should be the measurement.
Oh come on man! Are really gonna open yourself like that?

But what constitutes an astronomical unit in another solar system?

92 million miles.

That is like saying "what is a meter on another planet?"

For those that do not know, the meter is 1/10,000,000 the distance from the equator to the North Pole. But it does not matter if you are measuring distance on Earth, the Moon, Mars, or Jupiter. The "meter" does not change distance just because a planet is larger or smaller than the earth, it is simply a standard of measure. Although, if somebody wanted they could compute what a "Lunar Meter" is, as well as a "Martian Meter" and a "Neptunian Meter", by using the same calculation as was used to determine the meter we all use.

50 years ago if you told a person each one of us could pull up the world's knowledge in seconds in something the size of a wallet they would have laughed at you.

Not really, because Almanacs were already widely known.

il_794xN.1108428365_rt5t.jpg

Forum List

Back