CDZ Are utopias Even Possible? I say yes. Here is how....

Well.....Close to 100 million dead, innocent men, women and children didn't get us there.....so....those who believe in Utopia must think killing more of the right people will do the trick...since they haven't gotten the point yet....
I am discussing the idea of using a 'protopia' approach of pragmatic results enhanced by strong AI computerized services to connect the points of supple/service to those who need it, etc.

Not really Utopia, though I think we can, by7 this means, approach it to the point of practically acheiving Utopia for the vast majority of us.

Why do you want to live in a jungle?

I don't. Just stop electing democrats and left wingers.....support the 3 pillars of a free society, Capitalism, the Rule of Law and Democracy, and we will get where you want to go......the problem is left wingers/democrats who keep trying to give more and more power to government.

So far Utopian schemes are 0 success for 478 tries at a perfect society.

The following are things I have diagnosed from first-hand observation that go wrong when we try to turn Utopia into a real location. As my ventures involved other intentional communities as well, rather than explain all of their contexts, and to protect anonymity, I refer throughout to several of the communities as “Community X.”

What, then, should replace the idea of utopia? One answer can be found in another neologism – protopia – incremental progress in steps toward improvement, not perfection. As the futurist Kevin Kelly describes his coinage:
Protopia is a state that is better today than yesterday, although it might be only a little better. Protopia is much much harder to visualise. Because a protopia contains as many new problems as new benefits, this complex interaction of working and broken is very hard to predict.
In my book The Moral Arc (2015), I showed how protopian progress best describes the monumental moral achievements of the past several centuries: the attenuation of war, the abolishment of slavery, the end of torture and the death penalty, universal suffrage, liberal democracy, civil rights and liberties, same-sex marriage and animal rights. These are all examples of protopian progress in the sense that they happened one small step at a time.
A protopian future is not only practical, it is realisable.

Now lets take Protopia, add many multiple Super AI enabling programs that can assist people in finding what they need and how to get/make it, and we have a Protopia that is progressing toward Utopia, Add in Space astyeroid mining giving us unlimited resources, and I think we have Utopia for all practical purposes.

Why not?
Why not?....Tremendously centralized power in the hands of The State...The kind of power that attracts to it people of the lowest moral character, like a moth to a flame.

That's why.

"Minimal government" won't stay that way....We're living the proof right now.

The concept of "Utopia" does not require a "state" or a "government". Open your horizons.

Matter of fact the alleged "478" intentional communities cited in the OP are not governments either. Hate to be the one to break this to summa y'all but there's way more to life than government and politics.
Irrelevant semantic parsing and fudging....Orwell would be proud.

You could call it "Scooby-doo" and you're still talking about centralizing power and authority, which always -yes, ALWAYS- attracts to it people of the lowest moral character, who seek out that power as an end unto itself.

The following are things I have diagnosed from first-hand observation that go wrong when we try to turn Utopia into a real location. As my ventures involved other intentional communities as well, rather than explain all of their contexts, and to protect anonymity, I refer throughout to several of the communities as “Community X.”

What, then, should replace the idea of utopia? One answer can be found in another neologism – protopia – incremental progress in steps toward improvement, not perfection. As the futurist Kevin Kelly describes his coinage:
Protopia is a state that is better today than yesterday, although it might be only a little better. Protopia is much much harder to visualise. Because a protopia contains as many new problems as new benefits, this complex interaction of working and broken is very hard to predict.
In my book The Moral Arc (2015), I showed how protopian progress best describes the monumental moral achievements of the past several centuries: the attenuation of war, the abolishment of slavery, the end of torture and the death penalty, universal suffrage, liberal democracy, civil rights and liberties, same-sex marriage and animal rights. These are all examples of protopian progress in the sense that they happened one small step at a time.

Now lets take Protopia, add many multiple Super AI enabling programs that can assist people in finding what they need and how to get/make it, and we have a Protopia that is progressing toward Utopia, Add in Space astyeroid mining giving us unlimited resources, and I think we have Utopia for all practical purposes.

Why not?
Why not?....Tremendously centralized power in the hands of The State...The kind of power that attracts to it people of the lowest moral character, like a moth to a flame.

That's why.

The concept of "Utopia" does not require a "state" or a "government". Open your horizons.

Matter of fact the alleged "478" intentional communities cited in the OP are not governments either. Hate to be the one to break this to summa y'all but there's way more to life than government and politics.

You could call it "Scooby-doo" and you're still talking about centralizing power and authority, which always -yes, ALWAYS- attracts to it people of the lowest moral character, who seek out that power as an end unto itself.

Ah, then thanks for validation of Post 2 and everything that was about. Sometimes I hear the objection that that's not a national government.

In the example of which btw there is no such power grabbing. The entity is run by a Minister who acts as a manager and takes on the responsibility as just that -- a responsibility. And he's subject to a democratic vote of the membership. So there goes your sweeping absolute, swept out the window.

I don't. Just stop electing democrats and left wingers.....support the 3 pillars of a free society, Capitalism, the Rule of Law and Democracy, and we will get where you want to go......the problem is left wingers/democrats who keep trying to give more and more power to government.
So, you are presuming that advocating Utopia/protopia is a plea for more government?

That is not the argument I am making.

Why not?

That's why.

Ah, then thanks for validation of Post 2 and everything that was about. Sometimes I hear the objection that that's not a national government.

In the example of which btw there is no such power grabbing. The entity is run by a Minister who acts as a manager and takes on the responsibility as just that -- a responsibility. And he's subject to a democratic vote of the membership. So there goes your sweeping absolute, swept out the window.
It's not a "sweeping absolute", it's documented historical fact.

All you're doing is recycling the same stale, ages-old trope that authoritarian central planning hasn't worked because we weren't able to put the "right" autocrat in place....You're also engaging in circular reasoning.

Circular.jpg

Why not?

That's why.

It's not a "sweeping absolute", it's documented historical fact.

All you're doing is recycling the same stale, ages-old trope that authoritarian central planning hasn't worked because we weren't able to put the "right" autocrat in place....You're also engaging in circular reasoning.

View attachment 329773

Where do you see a "circle"?

I cited an example of a society that's been operating in (what many observers call) a 'utopia' for five hundred years. There literally is no power grab dynamic, they happen to abhor that. In their five centuries they have steadfastly refused to fight in any country's war or wear any uniform. They don't play that. So maybe you're saying, wait another five hundred years? Sorry, I handed you an exception that disproves your model, deal with it.

So, you are presuming that advocating Utopia/protopia is a plea for more government?

Almost by definition, the "utopia" we would be talking about would not be based upon external government, but by self regulation and conscious, voluntary, conscientious citizen participation. It would not be a matter of outward authority, but rather inward.

Almost by definition, the "utopia" we would be talking about would not be based upon external government, but by self regulation and conscious, voluntary, conscientious citizen participation. It would not be a matter of outward authority, but rather inward.
Yes, having access to strong AI 'providers' can reduce need for government to the most minimal imaginable.

Imagine Amazon/ebay/etsy/wahoo each capable of finding you jobs, getting you your unemployment check or any other government aid you need, or medical coverage, etc all at the click of a GUI button.

AI would be useful in establishing legal precedents rapidly, projecting economic trends, searching legislative records, etc.

Can a Utopia work?

Small scale yes but on a large scale no.

Just like with Marxism your Utopia can work on a small scale of society but when introduced on a large scale it will break down because of Greed, Sloth and Envy.

Humans are not program to enjoy a Utopian society and it would take many generations to breed a society that could and even then I doubt we can eliminate the Mark of Cain from our genetics which would cause the Utopian society to faulter...

The intelligence of humans is capable of enough understanding and inventiveness to build a sustainable, happy, integrated society. What we know about our psychology and our instincts could be used to construct positive outlets and expression for everything essentially human.
So far, society has functioned in rather the opposite direction, maintaining and accentuating weakness. These human frailties are exploited for control and power. If that can be understood by the majority of our species, we might stand a chance of fundamental change.
"Utopia" has to include tolerance for the less than utopian while it refines itself.

Exactly, thank you. It could not be otherwise; it's a cooperative, which is different from a "government".

View attachment 331398

Utopia's are impossible, except perhaps for a brief period of time, there are always others that want what someone else has.

*****SMILE*****

:)

If our technology has improved/advanced to the point that if you want a thing you can just 3D print it your self or make something that someone else wants and has what you want so you can trade them, then why go the risky route of stealing it or even being covetous?

The intelligence of humans is capable of enough understanding and inventiveness to build a sustainable, happy, integrated society. What we know about our psychology and our instincts could be used to construct positive outlets and expression for everything essentially human.
So far, society has functioned in rather the opposite direction, maintaining and accentuating weakness. These human frailties are exploited for control and power. If that can be understood by the majority of our species, we might stand a chance of fundamental change.
"Utopia" has to include tolerance for the less than utopian while it refines itself.
Yeah, I think that is the key point of 'protopianism', we are content to incrementally approach a Utopia while living in what is not a 'perfect' utopian society.

Saint Thomas Moores book 'Utopia' was a sarcastic lampooning of such notions, then the idiots took it as a how to manual.

View attachment 331398

Utopia's are impossible, except perhaps for a brief period of time, there are always others that want what someone else has.

*****SMILE*****

If our technology has improved/advanced to the point that if you want a thing you can just 3D print it your self or make something that someone else wants and has what you want so you can trade them, then why go the risky route of stealing it or even being covetous?

1588521866866.png

What makes you think it's that simple?

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 331398

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 331426

What makes you think it's that simple?

*****SMILE*****

I dont get your point.

Can you be more direct?

Forum List

Back