CDZ Are utopias Even Possible? I say yes. Here is how....

So far Utopian schemes are 0 success for 478 tries at a perfect society.

The following are things I have diagnosed from first-hand observation that go wrong when we try to turn Utopia into a real location. As my ventures involved other intentional communities as well, rather than explain all of their contexts, and to protect anonymity, I refer throughout to several of the communities as “Community X.”

What, then, should replace the idea of utopia? One answer can be found in another neologism – protopia – incremental progress in steps toward improvement, not perfection. As the futurist Kevin Kelly describes his coinage:
Protopia is a state that is better today than yesterday, although it might be only a little better. Protopia is much much harder to visualise. Because a protopia contains as many new problems as new benefits, this complex interaction of working and broken is very hard to predict.
In my book The Moral Arc (2015), I showed how protopian progress best describes the monumental moral achievements of the past several centuries: the attenuation of war, the abolishment of slavery, the end of torture and the death penalty, universal suffrage, liberal democracy, civil rights and liberties, same-sex marriage and animal rights. These are all examples of protopian progress in the sense that they happened one small step at a time.
A protopian future is not only practical, it is realisable.

Now lets take Protopia, add many multiple Super AI enabling programs that can assist people in finding what they need and how to get/make it, and we have a Protopia that is progressing toward Utopia, Add in Space astyeroid mining giving us unlimited resources, and I think we have Utopia for all practical purposes.

Why not?

a "utopia" is not possible unless your idea of "utopia" is a fascist dictatorship.

in any society, at any time, 1 out of every 5 people born will turn out to be a piece of shit who will work real hard to ensure any "utopia" is pissed on.

it's in our genes

Forum List

Back