Are modern Americans the same group/nation as early US Americans?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Kings of Con
Modern Americans being those of the 21st century/late 20th century, Early Americans being those from 1776 to 1861/1876. You can narrow the question down to White Americans.

In my opinion, not really. Only parts of America are a direct continuation, and those parts don't tend to define modern US popular culture or its' influence abroad.

They are more mutt then they used to be, they used to be more british based in my opinion. Now they are more mutt. They had more blue eyes. Blue eyes are increasingly rare in America - Americas - International Herald Tribune (Published 2006)

Some video graphs that may interest you

Animated Map Shows History Of Immigration To The US

Foreign Born Population in the U S (1850 to 2019)

You can see the change from predominately European (and Canadian) pattern to a more global dynamic starting in the 20th Century (especially starting in the 1960s).

Modern Americans being those of the 21st century/late 20th century, Early Americans being those from 1776 to 1861/1876. You can narrow the question down to White Americans.

In my opinion, not really. Only parts of America are a direct continuation, and those parts don't tend to define modern US popular culture or its' influence abroad.

They are more mutt then they used to be, they used to be more british based in my opinion. Now they are more mutt. They had more blue eyes. Blue eyes are increasingly rare in America - Americas - International Herald Tribune (Published 2006)
New York City used to be a good example or 'microcosm' of the United States.
I'm not sure what it's like post-9/11, since I haven't been there since 1981, but there
were Irish neighborhoods, Greek, German, Jewish, then Little Italy, Chinatown, the Village, Harlem
and so on. Many cultures, but all one family - like a quilt made of old clothes.

New York City used to be a good example or 'microcosm' of the United States.
I'm not sure what it's like post-9/11, since I haven't been there since 1981, but there
were Irish neighborhoods, Greek, German, Jewish, then Little Italy, Chinatown, the Village, Harlem
and so on. Many cultures, but all one family - like a quilt made of old clothes.

What's even more interesting, is how quickly those neighborhood demographics change in New York. At the turn of the last century, Harlem was a Jewish neighborhood, and where lily-white Wall Street now stands, was the worst slum in New York History, The infamous Five Points.

Forum List

Back