Is Mortimer in any way "jewish"?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Speedy Gonzales
It is not part of my documented family tree or in any way part of my identity. None of my ancestors is in a jewish cemetery, or celebrated hannukah once at all, I have no idea about jewish ancestry.

Yet I score 1.5% Jewish on 23andMe, 23andMe is known to have a very good jewish algorithm, that means if 23andme tells you, you are 1.5% Jewish likely you do have a trace of jewish in your DNA.

A user about my jewish dna

1.5% is small and distant as hell, it's not surprising at all you don't know about Jewish ancestors. It means you are 1/64 Ashkenazi. That would mean you had one Jewish ancestor (out of the 64) 6 generations ago. Most people no idea how their ancestors identified 5-6 generations ago, neither do I.

Now Im curious about opinions of jews here. Is Mortimer in any way even remotely jewish?

Ashke-NAZI.jpg

You can become Jewish. Start practicing Judaism and there you go.

Becoming Jewish is, as you realize, a significant and life-changing event. It is not a small matter by any means.

But before you start, consider a few things. When a Gentile wants to become Jewish, the Rabbis are required to try to dissuade him. Only the very sincere make it through the entire process. And the process can take a long while. It may not turn out to be easy.

Start practicing Judaism and there you go.

Actually, that's not the way it works. There are many people, Seventh Day Adventists and Messianic xtians for example, who practices some Jewish rituals, but they are in no way Jews or any part of the Jewish community.

Actually, that's not the way it works. There are many people, Seventh Day Adventists and Messianic xtians for example, who practices some Jewish rituals, but they are in no way Jews or any part of the Jewish community.

Look at the link above. It explains it.

Practicing Jewish ritual doesn't make you Jewish any more than wearing clothes makes a dog human.

You can memorize all the prayers and light all the candles you want but, until a Jewish court deems that you actually understand what being a Jew is all about and is convinced that you are sincere in your conversion, you are no more a Jew than Yassir Arafat.

Look at the link above. It explains it.

Practicing Jewish ritual doesn't make you Jewish any more than wearing clothes makes a dog human.

You can memorize all the prayers and light all the candles you want but, until a Jewish court deems that you actually understand what being a Jew is all about and is convinced that you are sincere in your conversion, you are no more a Jew than Yassir Arafat.

Are you saying beingjewish.com is lying? Many individuals that call themselves Jewish don't do any of that themselves.

Are you saying beingjewish.com is lying? Many individuals that call themselves Jewish don't do any of that themselves.

No, I'm saying you're not reading it correctly.. I quote the passage you seem to have missed...

" There is only one way to become Jewish. Only one way. There are no improper ways that work. The one way is through an Orthodox-Jewish Beit Din (Court)."

Many individuals might call themselves Jewish, but if they weren't born Jewish or go through a legitimate conversion process, they are no more a Jew than a pig is a fish.

No, I'm saying you're not reading it correctly.. I quote the passage you seem to have missed...

" There is only one way to become Jewish. Only one way. There are no improper ways that work. The one way is through an Orthodox-Jewish Beit Din (Court)."

Many individuals might call themselves Jewish, but if they weren't born Jewish or go through a legitimate conversion process, they are no more a Jew than a pig is a fish.

What I am trying to say though is that anyone can become Jewish. I am not sure why anyone would want to do it but it is possible. You don't have to be born into a "Jewish" family. I do agree though that I misspoke and it isn't so easy but it can be done.

What I am trying to say though is that anyone can become Jewish.

Anyone can TRY.

I know sincere people who have tried and failed.

I guess it depends if they like you are not.

No, that has nothing to do with it. It depends, very much, on your reasons for doing it.

A common reason that will disqualify you is wanting to convert only to be able to claim an ethnic heritage for your own.

Many people begin the conversion process with the idea that the Jewish community will somehow bring them a new (and better) identity than they had before. Conversion to Judaism requires more sincerity than just the desire to reinvent your heritage.

Anyone can TRY.

No, that has nothing to do with it. It depends, very much, on your reasons for doing it.

A common reason that will disqualify you is wanting to convert only to be able to claim an ethnic heritage for your own.

Many people begin the conversion process with the idea that the Jewish community will somehow bring them a new (and better) identity than they had before. Conversion to Judaism requires more sincerity than just the desire to reinvent your heritage.

Interesting. On a side note, my mom thinks she's is Jewish. She even celebrates the New moons and the Feast of Tabernacle. I say she is mad/loco. :D

Anyone can TRY.

Interesting. On a side note, my mom thinks she's is Jewish. She even celebrates the New moons and the Feast of Tabernacle. I say she is mad/loco. :D

I'm curious as to why she would choose those particular celebrations

Rosh chodesh (the first day of every Hebrew month or "new moon") is hardly a holiday. It rates only a single added line to the daily prayers.

And Sukkot, while a fun holiday, isn't exactly a high holy day.

One of the reasons it's difficult for a born Jew, and impossible for a converted Jew, to lead a Jewish life without a Jewish community is that many traditions are passed on from the community, they can't be learned in isolation.

Anyone can TRY.

Rosh chodesh (the first day of every Hebrew month or "new moon") is hardly a holiday. It rates only a single added line to the daily prayers.

One of the reasons it's difficult for a born Jew, and impossible for a converted Jew, to lead a Jewish life without a Jewish community is that many traditions are passed on from the community, they can't be learned in isolation.

I say she does because she is confused. :D And she calls Jesus Yeshua. She was listening to this guy Michel Rood for a long time. I think it messed her head up.lol! And you can't tell her anything. When I see her maybe once a year, we don't talk about religion anymore or it just ends up in a shouting match.:auiqs.jpg:She once told me that Jordan Maxwell is the devil. I am sure she thinks that because he exposes religion.

good enough for me MORTI----just start calling yourself MOTI (nickname for Mordechai) -----try
to avoid GOYISH things like tattoos and make sure
that your next suit jacket is not SHATNESS. Uhm....
I HOPE that you were CIPPED as an infant.

Last week Mortimer was playing dress up as a priest. Now he's Jewish? Oy.

Anyone can TRY.

You cannot be a Jewish male unless a Rabbi does your circumcision with his teeth.

Forum List

Back