Arctic sea ice melting toward record

N_stddev_timeseries.png

Arctic Ice Volume Has Increased 25% Since May, 2008

The Navy requires accurate sea ice information for their operations, and has spent a lot of effort over the years studying, measuring, and operating in Arctic ice both above and below, such as they did in the ICEX 2009 exercise.

800px-USS_Annapolis_ICEX.jpg

The US Navy attack submarine USS Annapolis (SSN 760) rests in the Arctic Ocean after surfacing through three feet of ice during Ice Exercise 2009 on March 21, 2009. The two-week training exercise, which is used to test submarine operability and war-fighting capability in Arctic conditions, also involved the USS Helena (SSN 725), the University of Washington and personnel from the Navy Arctic Submarine Laboratory.

So, if you are planning on bringing a $900 million Los Angeles class submarine through the ice, as the captain might say to the analyst after receiving an ice report: “you’d better be damn sure of the ice thickness before I risk the boat and the crew”.

Below is a blink comparator of U.S. Navy PIPS sea ice forecast data, zoomed to show the primary Arctic ice zone.

pips_anim.gif

Arctic Ice Volume Has Increased 25% Since May, 2008 | Watts Up With That?

Lemmie guess...The United States Navy is now a bunch of "deniers!" :lol:

Nice post.....except it is now June, and the ice is melting even faster than 2007.

Sorry about that...

Post all the bullshit you want, and try as hard as you can to bury the truth tools... All it does is show how utterly dishonest and unethical you and all your scoks/proxies are....LOL

Post all the bullshit you want, and try as hard as you can to bury the truth tools... All it does is show how utterly dishonest and unethical you and all your scoks/proxies are....LOL

You can't handle the truth.

The poles are melting, the glaciers are melting, and the earth is getting warmer, in spite of the fact that the Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years.

The poles are melting, the glaciers are melting, and the earth is getting warmer, in spite of the fact that the Sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years.

In which makes sense being that we're in a interglacial period. Do you agree?

In which makes sense being that we're in a interglacial period. Do you agree?

Up to a point, yes.

But the question is, how much of this increased temperature is because we have almost doubled the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere?

Most climatologist agree that the additional CO2 has added about 1 degree to the earth's temperature, and the scientists at MIT estimate that the temperature will increase 4 to 7 degrees in the next century.

Sorry all the data disputes the headlines and horror stories I showed that all too clearly using all your socks/proxies links as they were...

And thanks to another the Navy disputes that claim as well..... later sock, thanks for playing...:lol:

Sorry all the data disputes the headlines and horror stories I showed that all too clearly using all your socks/proxies links as they were...

And thanks to another the Navy disputes that claim as well..... later sock, thanks for playing...:lol:

Sorry, buckaroo, your data is old.

It's June, not May.

Next.

Sorry, buckaroo, your data is old.

It's June, not May.

Next.

Wasn't MY data tool..... it was trolling blunders LOL....HAHAHAHAHHA! nice work genius...:lol:

Arctic sea ice coverage was the highest in 10 years at the end of March. Then, it decreased at the fastest rate since satellite records started (which began in 1979) during the month of May. It was very near the record low May coverage of 2006 by the end of the month.

This flip-flop in data trends was foreseen by the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) scientists earlier this year. The reason? Although the March amount of sea surface covered by ice was the highest since 2001, the majority of this ice was less than three years old. This means it is thinner and less compact than “older” ice, and has been melting away at a greater pace in the past 30 years, of average.

The primary mechanism for this rapid melt is a warm southerly air current over much of the arctic region. Surface air temperatures have been well above average in the northern latitudes, as much as 9 degrees over the norm which of course contributed to the quick decrease in ice.

Arctic sea ice and a hot Texas summer: Is there a connection?

Arctic sea ice coverage was the highest in 10 years at the end of March. Then, it decreased at the fastest rate since satellite records started (which began in 1979) during the month of May. It was very near the record low May coverage of 2006 by the end of the month.

This flip-flop in data trends was foreseen by the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) scientists earlier this year. The reason? Although the March amount of sea surface covered by ice was the highest since 2001, the majority of this ice was less than three years old. This means it is thinner and less compact than “older” ice, and has been melting away at a greater pace in the past 30 years, of average.

The primary mechanism for this rapid melt is a warm southerly air current over much of the arctic region. Surface air temperatures have been well above average in the northern latitudes, as much as 9 degrees over the norm which of course contributed to the quick decrease in ice.

Yeah and your sock/pal trollingblunder posted it based on the headline and didnt read it again.. I busted him using the article he posted... get it.... Lil slow aren't ya....

SLowly.... HE POSTED THE ARTICLE.... Go that?... I SHOWED THE FACT THE HEADLINE DID NOT MATCH WHAT THE ARTICLE SAID OR THE DATA IT CONTAINED IN IT SHOWED...NONE OF THE DATA CAME FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE THAN HIS....

Jesus dude read something....

Personal insults are not going to stop the ice cap from melting.

You guys really are grasping at straws.

Claiming personal insults (which there were not) will not change the fact that you warmers have been proven wrong, your "scientist" have been proven as liars that falsify info to fit their personal belief system. That is not how science works because if it were we would probably still believe the Earth is flat. I would say those are more than "straws". When faced with facts that the islands are increasing in size, you chose to divert the discussion.

Hey dingleberry, how about linking some sites for your points? You do know how to do that, do you not? Otherwise, your yap-yap is just unsupported yap-yap.

It was linked in my first response but since it did not agree with the warming belief system, was discounted as a useless site. You again with the infantile name calling. When you grow up, perhaps a debate will be worth it, until then, keep showing yourself as a name caller rather than an adult with something worthwhile to say.

Yeah and your sock/pal trollingblunder posted it based on the headline and didnt read it again.. I busted him using the article he posted... get it.... Lil slow aren't ya....

SLowly.... HE POSTED THE ARTICLE.... Go that?... I SHOWED THE FACT THE HEADLINE DID NOT MATCH WHAT THE ARTICLE SAID OR THE DATA IT CONTAINED IN IT SHOWED...NONE OF THE DATA CAME FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE THAN HIS....

Your posts are becoming irrational. Have you been drinking?

Sea ice was high in March and then melted at the highest rate ever recorded. Why? Because the Sun was at its lowest level of activity in 80 years. Now the influence of the additional greenhouse gases is coming into play with the higher Sun angle.

And my source is the NSIDC which showed the increase in ice in the winter and the decrease the last two months.

Claiming personal insults (which there were not) will not change the fact that you warmers have been proven wrong, your "scientist" have been proven as liars that falsify info to fit their personal belief system. That is not how science works because if it were we would probably still believe the Earth is flat. I would say those are more than "straws". When faced with facts that the islands are increasing in size, you chose to divert the discussion.

Hey dingleberry, how about linking some sites for your points? You do know how to do that, do you not? Otherwise, your yap-yap is just unsupported yap-yap.

It was linked in my first response but since it did not agree with the warming belief system, was discounted as a useless site. You again with the infantile name calling. When you grow up, perhaps a debate will be worth it, until then, keep showing yourself as a name caller rather than an adult with something worthwhile to say.

Warming is not a belief, it's a reality.

The earth is warming and the ice is melting.

Sea ice was high in March and then melted at the highest rate ever recorded. Why? Because the Sun was at its lowest level of activity in 80 years. Now the influence of the additional greenhouse gases is coming into play with the higher Sun angle.

And my source is the NSIDC which showed the increase in ice in the winter and the decrease the last two months.

Yes, I agree with that. The solar min is going to make the things even weirder.

Yes, I agree with that. The solar min is going to make the things even weirder.

The solar min is over. This winter was its last hurrah.

We continue to pump 10 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year, so the CO2 effect grows stronger and stronger. But even more worrisome are the feedback effects of the melting ice cap. Open ocean heat absorption and the release of frozen arctic methane could accelerate the warming.

Last edited:

YO SLOW BOY!!!!

Pay attention....

My post was using your boys own source.. As in the one HE (trollingblunder) cited and sourced in his post before got it? I did not supply any of the data, it was all 100% his data from the NSIDC... Yeah the same NSIDC you are using now....Got it yet?

His original post I responded to...#354

Please follow the link and try to keep up...

My response post ... #368

Again follow the link and try to keep up here..

Now you can see plain as day it is NOT my data..... Its the NSIDC's data, and HE (trollingblunder) your pal supplied it all here....

So if you don't like the data blame the NSIDC and your pal or sock....

Forum List

Back