AOC gives the country a civics lesson on the Colbert show

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

Where to begin?

She starts by saying that "The Supreme Court has a power, its power is in whether its rulings are heated and respected, and if so, how much and to what extent. And when we have the framing of our government, the Presidency, Congress, and the Supreme Court are suppose to be 3 co-equal branches, none with supremacy over the other, and when any one of the branches overreaches its authority it is the responsibility of the other two branches to check the overreach of that authority. The Supreme Court has engaged in the overreaching of its authority in denying the human and civil rights of pregnant people"

First of all, let me just give AOC props for not using the term woman which is now un-PC or using the term menstruating people, thus reducing women to the foul stench of their reproductive discharge by the words she used to describe them. Kudos! Instead, she decided to take the high road and just refer to them as people who are going to have a baby.............er.............um....................have a fetus inside them that may or may not be human.

As for the power of SCOTUS, that comes from the Constitution, and the parameters set up in the Constitution. What she means by saying that their power comes from whether or not its rulings are heated and respected is a real head scratcher. It seems to me that plenty of SCOTUS decisions were heated and not respected, especially in the South where the court ruled against segregation in the schools. In fact, after the Supreme Court verdict, Governor Orval Faubus of Arkansas called out the state National Guard to prevent Black students from attending high school in Little Rock in 1957. After a tense standoff, President Eisenhower deployed federal troops, and nine students—known as the “Little Rock Nine”—were able to enter Central High School under armed guard.

Sound heated to you. It certainly does me as the South had no respect whatsoever for the ruling or the court.

I wonder if AOC ever wondered why there were 3 branches. Did the Founding Fathers only envision SCOTUS make a ruling when the other two disagreed, just to be a tie breaker? Were they also to go along with the other two if they agreed to something just by default? That would have to be her position. But the role of SCOTUS under the Constitution is this:

First, as the highest court in the land, it is the court of last resort for those looking for justice. Second, due to its power of judicial review, it plays an essential role in ensuring that each branch of government recognizes the limits of its own power. Third, it protects civil rights and liberties by striking down laws that violate the Constitution. Finally, it sets appropriate limits on democratic government by ensuring that popular majorities cannot pass laws that harm and/or take undue advantage of unpopular minorities. In essence, it serves to ensure that the changing views of a majority do not undermine the fundamental values common to all Americans, i.e., freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and due process of law.

Did you hear that AOC? Just because the mobs who elected those to Congress and the President may want to infringe on the rights of others, that is those without a political voice, or just because this may cause a heated exchange, or just because Congress and the Executive don't want to go along with it, does not mean they should bow to them all. Roe vs. Wade failed to do one thing, and that is to navigate the humanity of the unborn. The Roe vs. Wade decision basically said it was unknowable and chose instead to hide behind the privacy of women instead. This would be akin to Abraham Lincoln deciding that the privacy of slave owners superseded the question as to the humanity of the slave, were they co-equals under the Constitution?

I also find it amusing that AOC says that SCOTUS is overreaching their authority by giving such authority to lower courts. In essence, the decisions now will be made by the grass roots voters of each individual state, something you would think would be great for democracy instead of a hand full of bureaucrats in Washington DC to make conservative states by liberal or vice versa.

Finally, the unborn will have their day in court as, for the first time, the question as to when life becomes life can be answered.

AOC said later on continued to scold SCOTUS for going against the other two branches

Her solution?

Her solution was for the President to unilaterally try to expand SCOTUS the way FDR tried and was scolded by his own party for doing so.

Then she wanted the President to unilaterally decry the Hyde Amendment which he once championed

Then she wanted Biden to unilaterally condemn the filibuster so that his own party could jam through any legislation AOC wants.

These people are fascists.

Just gotta love that AOC = she belongs as the Speaker of the House yes she does

• Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez graduated cum laude from Boston University College of Arts and Sciences with a BA in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics.

Just gotta love that AOC ....... among the all American women.

• International Relations

• In our fast-paced, increasingly interdependent world, the problems and policies of each nation have repercussions that are felt far beyond its borders.

• Whether the issue is climatic change caused by carbon dioxide emissions or the rights of workers in factories owned by transnational corporations, decision makers in government and industry must now consider how their actions will affect people and places around the globe.

• As an international relations major, you will draw from a variety of academic disciplines to gain a more complete picture of the issues and traditions that shape regions and nations.

• Real World Outcomes:
    International relations majors are prepared to embark on exciting careers in many areas related to transnational issues and concerns.

• Many have found employment with federal government agencies such as the Foreign Service, international or non-governmental organizations such as the United Nations or companies conducting business or finance operations internationally.
  • Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez graduated cum laude from Boston University College of
    AArts and Sciences with a BA in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics.

aoc credit score.jpg

Where to begin?

She starts by saying that "The Supreme Court has a power, its power is in whether its rulings are heated and respected, and if so, how much and to what extent. And when we have the framing of our government, the Presidency, Congress, and the Supreme Court are suppose to be 3 co-equal branches, none with supremacy over the other, and when any one of the branches overreaches its authority it is the responsibility of the other two branches to check the overreach of that authority. The Supreme Court has engaged in the overreaching of its authority in denying the human and civil rights of pregnant people"

First of all, let me just give AOC props for not using the term woman which is now un-PC or using the term menstruating people, thus reducing women to the foul stench of their reproductive discharge by the words she used to describe them. Kudos! Instead, she decided to take the high road and just refer to them as people who are going to have a baby.............er.............um....................have a fetus inside them that may or may not be human.

As for the power of SCOTUS, that comes from the Constitution, and the parameters set up in the Constitution. What she means by saying that their power comes from whether or not its rulings are heated and respected is a real head scratcher. It seems to me that plenty of SCOTUS decisions were heated and not respected, especially in the South where the court ruled against segregation in the schools. In fact, after the Supreme Court verdict, Governor Orval Faubus of Arkansas called out the state National Guard to prevent Black students from attending high school in Little Rock in 1957. After a tense standoff, President Eisenhower deployed federal troops, and nine students—known as the “Little Rock Nine”—were able to enter Central High School under armed guard.

Sound heated to you. It certainly does me as the South had no respect whatsoever for the ruling or the court.

I wonder if AOC ever wondered why there were 3 branches. Did the Founding Fathers only envision SCOTUS make a ruling when the other two disagreed, just to be a tie breaker? Were they also to go along with the other two if they agreed to something just by default? That would have to be her position. But the role of SCOTUS under the Constitution is this:

First, as the highest court in the land, it is the court of last resort for those looking for justice. Second, due to its power of judicial review, it plays an essential role in ensuring that each branch of government recognizes the limits of its own power. Third, it protects civil rights and liberties by striking down laws that violate the Constitution. Finally, it sets appropriate limits on democratic government by ensuring that popular majorities cannot pass laws that harm and/or take undue advantage of unpopular minorities. In essence, it serves to ensure that the changing views of a majority do not undermine the fundamental values common to all Americans, i.e., freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and due process of law.

Did you hear that AOC? Just because the mobs who elected those to Congress and the President may want to infringe on the rights of others, that is those without a political voice, or just because this may cause a heated exchange, or just because Congress and the Executive don't want to go along with it, does not mean they should bow to them all. Roe vs. Wade failed to do one thing, and that is to navigate the humanity of the unborn. The Roe vs. Wade decision basically said it was unknowable and chose instead to hide behind the privacy of women instead. This would be akin to Abraham Lincoln deciding that the privacy of slave owners superseded the question as to the humanity of the slave, were they co-equals under the Constitution?

I also find it amusing that AOC says that SCOTUS is overreaching their authority by giving such authority to lower courts. In essence, the decisions now will be made by the grass roots voters of each individual state, something you would think would be great for democracy instead of a hand full of bureaucrats in Washington DC to make conservative states by liberal or vice versa.

Finally, the unborn will have their day in court as, for the first time, the question as to when life becomes life can be answered.
First of all, I don't think the SCOTUS has the ability to declare when life is life. All this shit about the unborn is just that, shit. Do we adjust family size when someone becomes pregnant? Why do we have to wait until a baby is born to declare them a dependent? Can you take out life insurance on a fetus? The reality is the right wants to claim life begins at conception when it suits them, and it begins at birth when that suits them. From where I sit, that is sheer hypocrisy.

But more importantly, the founders never envisioned a Supreme Court where justices could serve 30, 40 years. Nor did they envision a Congress so dysfunctional as to block nominations waiting for an election or a Senate that was so blindly partisan.

For generations, Supreme Court nominees were treated with respect and judged, not by their party loyalty, but by the jurist ability. The votes bear that out, overwhelming bipartisan support for generations. Today, it is strictly a party split, most certainly not what the founders envisioned.

And packing the court worked for Roosevelt, not because he did it, but because the threat of doing it reined in an out of control court. That won't work this time. We should have 27 justices, cases assigned on a rotating random basis. Baring that, at the very least, Thomas needs to go, as do Kavanaugh and Barrett. Kavanaugh and Barrett committed perjury during their confirmation hearings and Thomas's unwillingness to recuse himself from countless cases as his fat ass ugly wife leads him around like he has a ring in his nose, bear impeachment.

First of all, I don't think the SCOTUS has the ability to declare when life is life. All this shit about the unborn is just that, shit. Do we adjust family size when someone becomes pregnant? Why do we have to wait until a baby is born to declare them a dependent? Can you take out life insurance on a fetus? The reality is the right wants to claim life begins at conception when it suits them, and it begins at birth when that suits them. From where I sit, that is sheer hypocrisy.

But more importantly, the founders never envisioned a Supreme Court where justices could serve 30, 40 years. Nor did they envision a Congress so dysfunctional as to block nominations waiting for an election or a Senate that was so blindly partisan.

For generations, Supreme Court nominees were treated with respect and judged, not by their party loyalty, but by the jurist ability. The votes bear that out, overwhelming bipartisan support for generations. Today, it is strictly a party split, most certainly not what the founders envisioned.

And packing the court worked for Roosevelt, not because he did it, but because the threat of doing it reined in an out of control court. That won't work this time. We should have 27 justices, cases assigned on a rotating random basis. Baring that, at the very least, Thomas needs to go, as do Kavanaugh and Barrett. Kavanaugh and Barrett committed perjury during their confirmation hearings and Thomas's unwillingness to recuse himself from countless cases as his fat ass ugly wife leads him around like he has a ring in his nose, bear impeachment.
Me thinks the lady protests too much.

The SCOTUS gets respect from the left ONLY when they rule in accordance with their wishes. The left's' wishes' rarely fall in line with the Constitution. The main purpose of the SCOTUS is to be a check against an out-of-control Legislature and Executive.

Where to begin?

source = fake news not to mention I was viewing Colbert at the time..............

WE voters need far more access to the decisions by way of voting for example:

Should women's choice be their choice? Vote yes

Can we trust politicians to keep air, water and food clean? Vote No.

Should politicians be allowed to investigate themselves? NO!

Should politicians have the privilege insider trading? NO!

Should ALEC be able to subvert the government which is an UN-American Activity? NO

Should ALEC be able to shut down public education in order to teach Fascism? NO Fascism is an UN-American Activity.

Where to begin?

Heeded, not heated.

Forum List

Back