Anyone here reload?

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
It costs me $1.10 every time I pull the trigger on my 30-06, and $1.33 every time I pull the trigger on my 44 Magnum.

I'm looking into reloading my own. Anyone do that already?

Hello, Pred. Yes I do reload and it's easier than you might think. I have three Lee single stage reloaders which reloads 9mm, .38 specials, .45 ACP, 10mm, .45 long colt,and .44 magnum. I have never reloaded a rifle cartridge, but the principle would remain the same. Buy a .44 magnum and 30-06 kit at your favorite gun dealer. Full instructions will be included.

I chose three manual reloaders as opposed to the progressive (no political references) because I wanted more control over the whole process. You may want to use the prog. press...that's up to you. Just be sure to calibrate the amount of powder you load into each shell casing. That step is (by far) the most critical.

Here is a video from YouTube explaining the process of reloading a 30-06. Good luck on your reloading...it's fun and rewarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, Pred. Yes I do reload and it's easier than you might think. I have three Lee single stage reloaders which reloads 9mm, .38 specials, .45 ACP, 10mm, .45 long colt,and .44 magnum. I have never reloaded a rifle cartridge, but the principle would remain the same. Buy a .44 magnum and 30-06 kit at your favorite gun dealer. Full instructions will be included.

I chose three manual reloaders as opposed to the progressive (no political references) because I wanted more control over the whole process. You may want to use the prog. press...that's up to you. Just be sure to calibrate the amount of powder you load into each shell casing. That step is (by far) the most critical.

Here is a video from YouTube explaining the process of reloading a 30-06. Good luck on your reloading...it's fun and rewarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEc3IGQgdQ8

I've noticed that none of the sites online that I get ammo from sell gunpowder or primers. I guess I have to buy them separately at the gun store right?

I've noticed that none of the sites online that I get ammo from sell gunpowder or primers. I guess I have to buy them separately at the gun store right?

no----I've bought powder and primers on line.

Yep. Mostly pistol rounds. I used to reload 30.06.

If you're going to get into it, please spend a lot of quality time reading a Lyman reloading manual first. (Or any reloading manual). Get the lay of the land. It will answer a lot of your questions AND KEEP YOU SAFE.

Have fun.

MidwayUSA sells them.

Powder | Reloading Supplies

When I was a kid my Grampa showed me how he re-loaded his rounds. I wasn't into guns and was really bored with it.

Now I wish I had paid attention more. Now I wish I had all his reloading equipment.

(sigh) I miss my Grampa. I really do.

It costs me $1.10 every time I pull the trigger on my 30-06, and $1.33 every time I pull the trigger on my 44 Magnum.

Consider using a .22 for practice. I use to reload when I was in matches. I don't know how prices are now but using a 9mm and a .308 allowed me to use surplus ammo. When it comes to price it was hard to beat. My SSG would hold a good group out to about 500 yards for matches I did my own. 9mm is ammo sensitive with 1 9mm doing better with PMC than any other brand.

Consider using a .22 for practice. I use to reload when I was in matches. I don't know how prices are now but using a 9mm and a .308 allowed me to use surplus ammo. When it comes to price it was hard to beat. My SSG would hold a good group out to about 500 yards for matches I did my own. 9mm is ammo sensitive with 1 9mm doing better with PMC than any other brand.

I don't own a 22 though.

I don't own a 22 though.

You need one.

At 3 cents a shot, you'll make the cost back pretty quickly.

Get yourself a nice Henry AR7, Marlin Papoose or Ruger 10/22.

Or, if you like single shots, take a look at the folding Chiappa Little Badger, $150 or less new.

I have four thousand rounds of 5.56 brass laying around. Never reloaded that caliber. Been years since I reloaded anything.

I don't own a 22 though.

You need one.

Or, if you like single shots, take a look at the folding Chiappa Little Badger, $150 or less new.

They are building a new gun range not too far from me that will have a 1000 yard range! That is what my 30-06 is for. If I put a 22 on my list of guns I want to get it will be.... Well let's see:

1. AR-15
2. Mossberg 500 Chainsaw
3. Smith & Wesson 500
4. The Judge
5. 22 long rifle

.....number 5 on the list. It could happen.

I don't own a 22 though.

You need one.

They are building a new gun range not too far from me that will have a 1000 yard range! That is what my 30-06 is for. If I put a 22 on my list of guns I want to get it will be.... Well let's see:

1. AR-15
2. Mossberg 500 Chainsaw
3. Smith & Wesson 500
4. The Judge
5. 22 long rifle

One and five, I'm with ya.

Three is too big for my tastes, but that's personal preference.

Two looks more like a novelty item than a serious weapon to me...I'd replace it with a nice Mossberg Flex. More options IMO.

Four I'd X out, unless you have a terrible snake problem...cuz that's about all a 410 pistol is good for.

If you REALLY want a 410/45LC save yourself $500 and pick up a Super Comanche.

The Super Comanche .45/.410 Review: Not good, not bad, just right -- for the price (VIDEO)

Or better yet, get a Rossi Matched Pair Pistol...it's a 410/45LC that comes with a .22lr barrel.

Rossi 45/410 RG Blue $307.00 SHIPS FREE

Those are my opinions, worth every penny you paid for them. :D

I've been looking for the Rossi to get back in stock, think I'll order one today.

You need one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI7iA0L9zCs

1. AR-15
2. Mossberg 500 Chainsaw
3. Smith & Wesson 500
4. The Judge
5. 22 long rifle

One and five, I'm with ya.

Three is too big for my tastes, but that's personal preference.

I just like the idea of a 50 cal handgun.

Two looks more like a novelty item than a serious weapon to me...

Oh, it's a novelty for sure. I have enough serious weapons, every once in a while I just like to choose appearance over seriousness.

Four I'd X out, unless you have a terrible snake problem...cuz that's about all a 410 pistol is good for.

If you REALLY want a 410/45LC save yourself $500 and pick up a Super Comanche.

The Super Comanche .45/.410 Review: Not good, not bad, just right -- for the price (VIDEO)

Or better yet, get a Rossi Matched Pair Pistol...it's a 410/45LC that comes with a .22lr barrel.

Rossi 45/410 RG Blue $307.00 SHIPS FREE

Have to disagree there, a 410 is a good self defense weapon, of course I'd back the 410 up with the 45.

Those are my opinions, worth every penny you paid for them. :D

It's worth more that that. I appreciate it.

Spent the day today looking into reloading without actually spending money.

Looked at some presses mostly. I saw some kits that were nice but the price was pretty steep. I'm going to check out Bass Pro Shop tomorrow. I could look at their web page but I just like going to their huge Orlando store.:D

Spent the day today looking into reloading without actually spending money.

Looked at some presses mostly. I saw some kits that were nice but the price was pretty steep. I'm going to check out Bass Pro Shop tomorrow. I could look at their web page but I just like going to their huge Orlando store.:D

Dillon is the best as far as functionality and support go. They have folks on the phone who really know what they're doing. If a part breaks they will overnight you a replacement.

used to quite a bit

not as much anymore

a couple of times a year

when the brothers and i get together

Forum List

Back