Anyone here reload?

It costs me $1.10 every time I pull the trigger on my 30-06, and $1.33 every time I pull the trigger on my 44 Magnum.

I'm looking into reloading my own. Anyone do that already?

Yeah but not rifles. I have two Big Dillon 1050s for 9mm and 45, two 550s (38 short colt and 40 SW) and a square deal for 380 and five MEC shotshell reloaders including the big hydraulic job for loading 7/8 international trap loads

over all I have loaded well over 100K shotshells in 30 years,and half a million pistol cartridges-mainly 45 ACP, 38 Sp, and 9mm. I currently load about 400 shotshells a week and 250 handgun cartridges. My wife, son and I shoot weekly steel matches in handgun and my son is starting to train seriously in Olympic Trap

It costs me $1.10 every time I pull the trigger on my 30-06, and $1.33 every time I pull the trigger on my 44 Magnum.

Yeah but not rifles. I have two Big Dillon 1050s for 9mm and 45, two 550s (38 short colt and 40 SW) and a square deal for 380 and five MEC shotshell reloaders including the big hydraulic job for loading 7/8 international trap loads

over all I have loaded well over 100K shotshells in 30 years,and half a million pistol cartridges-mainly 45 ACP, 38 Sp, and 9mm. I currently load about 400 shotshells a week and 250 handgun cartridges. My wife, son and I shoot weekly steel matches in handgun and my son is starting to train seriously in Olympic Trap

Nice! You are the boss!

Nice! You are the boss!

I am retired and my son is an aspiring world class steel shooter and Olympic trap competitor. So I get up every morning and load for an hour or so. one day I might do rifle but that is more labor intensive than pistol or shotgun

loading shotshells is not nearly the deal it used to be when you could buy 25 pounds of shot (good for about 400 12G shells or 800 410 shells) for 12/13 dollars, now its 43 bucks a bag and you can still buy 12 G shells for around 5.50 box of 12

where the real savings comes from is stuff like the smaller gauges like 410 and 28 which require less shot and less powder but cost more (hard to figure-its economies of scale) than 12 or 20 G. maybe 9 bucks a box of 25 but the cost to reload them is cheaper than 12 or 20

Yes, I re-load. Mostly 5.56, but I've dabbled in .45. I've got dies for many other calibers, including those you mention. My wife calls it "making little pipe bombs" and she's right!

I've long been a hoarder of re-loading supplies. Get 'em when and while you can.

You can't get .22's in bulk anymore. Walmart stocks 9mm but not 22's. I stopped at the Pa. Cabellas and they had 100 round boxes that you had to buy individually and you were restricted to two boxes at a purchase. My wife and I each bought the max and dumped them in the car and went back for another 400 rounds but it is tedious. I talked to the salesman and it seems that nobody knows or nobody is talking about why 22's are scarce.

Find the nearest Cabela's when the doors open on the morning they stock the shelves, and you'll usually find bulk .22lr. That is my experience, anyway. True about the box restriction, but the employees don't care if you return over and over again.

Why are .22lr scarce? The pending Zombie Apocolypes, of course!! :lol:

You can't get .22's in bulk anymore. Walmart stocks 9mm but not 22's. I stopped at the Pa. Cabellas and they had 100 round boxes that you had to buy individually and you were restricted to two boxes at a purchase. My wife and I each bought the max and dumped them in the car and went back for another 400 rounds but it is tedious. I talked to the salesman and it seems that nobody knows or nobody is talking about why 22's are scarce.

Find the nearest Cabela's when the doors open on the morning they stock the shelves, and you'll usually find bulk .22lr. That is my experience, anyway. True about the box restriction, but the employees don't care if you return over and over again.

Why are .22lr scarce? The pending Zombie Apocolypes, of course!! :lol:

lots of the big box store employees are grabbing up 22s or telling their friends when a supply is coming in and its those people who are hoarding or gouging 22lr. I know this happens. a local range/store tells me when pistol powder or shotgun powder is coming in and as a result I have plenty. and one of them used to work for wally world and confirmed the grabbing up of 22s

Yes, I re-load. Mostly 5.56, but I've dabbled in .45. I've got dies for many other calibers, including those you mention. My wife calls it "making little pipe bombs" and she's right!

I've long been a hoarder of re-loading supplies. Get 'em when and while you can.

Good advice.

I have ordered from bulkammo.com a few times. Never had a problem.

The prices are good and they have always had what I needed.

Hello, Pred. Yes I do reload and it's easier than you might think. I have three Lee single stage reloaders which reloads 9mm, .38 specials, .45 ACP, 10mm, .45 long colt,and .44 magnum. I have never reloaded a rifle cartridge, but the principle would remain the same. Buy a .44 magnum and 30-06 kit at your favorite gun dealer. Full instructions will be included.

I chose three manual reloaders as opposed to the progressive (no political references) because I wanted more control over the whole process. You may want to use the prog. press...that's up to you. Just be sure to calibrate the amount of powder you load into each shell casing. That step is (by far) the most critical.

Here is a video from YouTube explaining the process of reloading a 30-06. Good luck on your reloading...it's fun and rewarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEc3IGQgdQ8

Check the name of the guys in the videos. If it's 'Lefty,' 'Stumpy,' or 'Lucky' or anything like that ya might wanna take a gunsmithing or similar course in an actual school. Know community colleges often have such courses. Or could ask at your local gun shop.

on the .44 mag, the people that like it most work in Orthopedics. I have always considered mags as useless, the "Dirty Harry thing. Then my idea of the best thing for home defense a 410

As a home defense gun, you are correct. I would not choose a .44 mag for home defense. But since the .44 mag will also chamber and fire a .44 Special, they could work out well.

For other uses, however, the .44 Magnum is excellent. I have hunted deer and feral hogs with mine, and also kept it loaded and available for vermin. It does a great job. It is accurate and powerful. I've never needed any orthopedic work done. Let the gun kick. It is when you try and hold it down that you are likely to have issues.

Not to overlook the obvious: movies notwithstanding, you should ALWAYS use a 2-handed grip on a .44 Magnum!

on the .44 mag, the people that like it most work in Orthopedics. I have always considered mags as useless, the "Dirty Harry thing. Then my idea of the best thing for home defense a 410

As a home defense gun, you are correct. I would not choose a .44 mag for home defense. But since the .44 mag will also chamber and fire a .44 Special, they could work out well.

For other uses, however, the .44 Magnum is excellent. I have hunted deer and feral hogs with mine, and also kept it loaded and available for vermin. It does a great job. It is accurate and powerful. I've never needed any orthopedic work done. Let the gun kick. It is when you try and hold it down that you are likely to have issues.

Not to overlook the obvious: movies notwithstanding, you should ALWAYS use a 2-handed grip on a .44 Magnum!

Hell yes you should.

Hell yes you should.

According to my uncle, you should probably also use it on a S&W .500, a Ruger Super Redhawk (.454 Casull), and, well...pretty much anything bigger than a .22 target pistol.

Hell yes you should.

According to my uncle, you should probably also use it on a S&W .500, a Ruger Super Redhawk (.454 Casull), and, well...pretty much anything bigger than a .22 target pistol.

Actually, I have fired my Blackhawk .44 Magnum one handed, and it didn't break anything. But there is no way you will be nearly as accurate.

Forum List

Back