Snakes as a Sustainable Food Source

Some are suggesting that we farm pythons for food. These people things have invaded south Florida and continue to grow in size and range. I will disclose that I hate snakes, all snakes. I cannot legally fire a gun in my yard because I live within the city limits. To get around this I keep a pellet gun at my back door. I shot and killed two of those little bastards last summer.

I note that the same people who want us to eat bugs now want us to eat snakes. Clearly, it would be dehumanizing for us to replace the foods we love with this vermin. Is that what’s going on here? Dehumanizing us? It has been known to happen.

Moreover, what is with this constant use of the word “sustainability”? It has become a buzz word to trigger younger people to turn off their brains and mindlessly fall in line. It’s like the plot of Charles Bronson’s movie, “Telefon”, in which the Soviets made Americans into unwitting agents who, when “triggered” by lines from a Robert Frost poem over the telephone, would commit terrorist acts against America. They were sleeper agents.

The only difference between the agents in “Telefon” and todays youth looking for “sustainability” is that while the former turned into killers when they heard the trigger words, todays kids turn into total douche canoes when the hear the word “sustainability”.
Lol, you would hate ranger training. I have had rattle snake many times. I like it.

That’s Rough

I have had some Jerk Goat from the side of the road cooked on what looked like a screen door, and it was some of the best food I’ve ever eaten.
I've had jerk (as in jerky not Jamaican) goat as well and I gotta say it ain't my favorite, but it's far from the bottom of the list, lol.

I've had jerk (as in jerky not Jamaican) goat as well and I gotta say it ain't my favorite, but it's far from the bottom of the list, lol.
This was in Jamaica, it was good but I’m sure they would have gotten a F by US food service standards. i consider myself a pretty adventurous eater but I also have paid the price a few times

Just how does one farm snakes?

Is there a need to?
They seem to do just fine on their own.
Here's a reportedly 500lb pile of protein in the news this week.

There seem to be a traction-ful argument that they are high in protein, low in saturated fats, low in cholesterol, free-range, gluten-free and....importantly......sustainable.

(plus, have other perhaps useful characteristics, e.g...."BBC Wildlife reported that male snakes “are equipped with two penises” and can “use either to mate”.

-----------------------------------------

"Catch of 11 snakes after discovery of two ‘mating balls’ adds to total of 34,000lbs of pythons captured in one part of state...."

1711329010709.png

Some are suggesting that we farm pythons for food. These people things have invaded south Florida and continue to grow in size and range. I will disclose that I hate snakes, all snakes. I cannot legally fire a gun in my yard because I live within the city limits. To get around this I keep a pellet gun at my back door. I shot and killed two of those little bastards last summer.

I note that the same people who want us to eat bugs now want us to eat snakes. Clearly, it would be dehumanizing for us to replace the foods we love with this vermin. Is that what’s going on here? Dehumanizing us? It has been known to happen.

Moreover, what is with this constant use of the word “sustainability”? It has become a buzz word to trigger younger people to turn off their brains and mindlessly fall in line. It’s like the plot of Charles Bronson’s movie, “Telefon”, in which the Soviets made Americans into unwitting agents who, when “triggered” by lines from a Robert Frost poem over the telephone, would commit terrorist acts against America. They were sleeper agents.

The only difference between the agents in “Telefon” and todays youth looking for “sustainability” is that while the former turned into killers when they heard the trigger words, todays kids turn into total douche canoes when the hear the word “sustainability”.

They have a pretty well-attended rattlesnake festival in WV at which you can eat one if you so desire.

They have a pretty well-attended rattlesnake festival in WV at which you can eat one if you so desire.
I don’t mind rattler but I don’t have any desire to drive that far for some. Wife works with a Coonass who cooks it up whenever he has a party. I prefer the fried over the grilled but they both are good choices

Snake grills up in the summer pretty well.

Raw horse is pretty tasty if served chilled with shaved apple on top.

Had dog once, but I couldn't really tell you what it tasted like (big, spicy stew).

Rattlesnake is damn good.....Mostly it tastes like Snapping Turtle or Alligator but a bit more delicate.

I think it has more to do with a snake's rep than anything else......Sort of like eel, they are damn good too.

In fact eel season is almost upon us in my AO. The migrate from salt water this time of year and return to where they were born.

In my case that is a mountain pond that is part of the headwaters of the Rappahannock River.....I catch them on hook and line. It's nothing to catch them 4' long and big around as a motorcycle tire.

Very fine eating with a delicate fish taste, much like bluegill but with more substance.

You can even cure the skins and make very tough leather items of them.

Rattlesnake is damn good.....Mostly it tastes like Snapping Turtle or Alligator but a bit more delicate.

I think it has more to do with a snake's rep than anything else......Sort of like eel, they are damn good too.

In fact eel season is almost upon us in my AO. The migrate from salt water this time of year and return to where they were born.

In my case that is a mountain pond that is part of the headwaters of the Rappahannock River.....I catch them on hook and line. It's nothing to catch them 4' long and big around as a motorcycle tire.

Very fine eating with a delicate fish taste, much like bluegill but with more substance.

You can even cure the skins and make very tough leather items of them.
Eel is delicious.

Snake and eel sound disgusting.

I grew up on moose and deer venison, salmon, halibut, ling cod. Shellfish like clams and abalone. King Boletus mushrooms, yum.

Snake isn't terrible, BTW, but I doubt it's really farmable. They grow too slow.

Florida has a growing infestation of non native species and could probably use the help in thinning the "herd". But your right, when it comes to farming them, what the hell would you feed the big anacondas? snake chow? stray cats?

Hard pass, and I've killed a fuckton of snakes, mostly Diamondbacks.

Okay, really 11 or so, but whatever.

I ain't eatin' something that keeps moving until dark when you chop its head off at 11 AM.

:nono:

Kill it and get rid of it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back