Any Lefties Anywhere Want To Tell Us How Great Cancelling Nuclear Plants Was?

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
One area in which I wish we resembled the French is in the area of using nuclear power as a major energy source.

Considering the negative effects of our petroleum dependency - oil spill and national security risks - do any of the Lefties want to explain why closing nuclear power plants and preventing new ones from being built was such a good idea?

One area in which I wish we resembled the French is in the area of using nuclear power as a major energy source.

Considering the negative effects of our petroleum dependency - oil spill and national security risks - do any of the Lefties want to explain why closing nuclear power plants and preventing new ones from being built was such a good idea?

I'm not a leftie, but here goes...one word...Chernobyl

chernobyl.jpg

Dante, That's like comparing Russian made Commercial Jets to American Commercial Jets..

Russian's suck at building and flying their planes, on the contrary Airbus and Boeing know how to build jets, just look on how many planes crash in Iran and the middle east..

Point is, It's irrational.

And tell me, how many times has another "Chernobyl" Happened?

Dante, That's like comparing Russian made Commercial Jets to American Commercial Jets..

Russian's suck at building and flying their planes, on the contrary Airbus and Boeing know how to build jets, just look on how many planes crash in Iran and the middle east..

Nope. All planes crash, regardless of who builds them. People involved in an airplane crash do not do better on an American made plane vs a Soviet built one. If you think so, I suggest you are nuts.

How many times an accident at a Nuke plant happens is irrelevant. I'm not even saying I would be 100% against a Nuke reactor anywhere any time, but the risks are understated. One accident is usually catastrophic. What happened with Chernobyl?
On 26 April 1986 the world witnessed the most serious nuclear accident in history. The Chernobyl disaster was a human tragedy, resulting in large-scale displacement of populations, the contamination of vast areas of land, and the loss of livelihoods. The people affected by the accident were confronted with situations they could not understand and against which they had no means of defense. The mental trauma suffered by those who had to be evacuated compounded an already intolerable situation as many experienced the severing of links with their home and social networks.

WHO | Health effects of the Chernobyl accident

If Nuke energy is relatively safe and the waste can be taken care of...all executives of energy companies and their families should put it i their back yards. I suggest you but a house near one. Every time I've been near one I get the creeps.

People like you do not trust private industry to be honest, you do not trust government and yet you hate progressives and anti-Nuke energy people so much you are willing to suspend all your concerns about government and big business trustworthiness and competence?

What did private industry and government regulators fight over during the Three Mile
island incident?

The accident caught federal and state authorities off-guard. They were concerned about the small releases of radioactive gases that were measured off-site by the late morning of March 28 and even more concerned about the potential threat that the reactor posed to the surrounding population. They did not know that the core had melted, but ...

By the evening of March 28, the core appeared to be adequately cooled and the reactor appeared to be stable. But new concerns arose by the morning of Friday, March 30. A significant release of radiation from the plant=s auxiliary building, performed to relieve pressure on the primary system and avoid curtailing the flow of coolant to the core, caused a great deal of confusion and consternation. In an atmosphere of growing uncertainty about the condition of the plant, the governor of Pa., Richard L. Thornburgh, consulted with the NRC about evacuating the population near the plant. Eventually, he and NRC Chairman Joseph Hendrie agreed that it would be prudent for those members of society most vulnerable to radiation to evacuate the area. Thornburgh announced that he was advising pregnant women and pre-school-age children within a 5-mile radius of the plant to leave the area.

Within a short time, the presence of a large hydrogen bubble in the dome of the pressure vessel, the container that holds the reactor core, stirred new worries. The concern was that the hydrogen bubble might burn or even explode and rupture the pressure vessel.

NRC: Backgrounder on the Three Mile Island Accident

Until we know how to dispose of the waste properly it is not much better than the results we have seen from oil.

How many waste disposal accidents have the French had?

If they can handle nuclear power, so can we.

without even addressing safety issues the simple fact remains that nuke plants are not cost effective.

they cost too much to build and maintain to be able to deliver energy at a competitive price.

If you're serious on this point you and your neighbors should petition to have a nuclear plant built in your neighborhood.

I live in a densely populated urban area - not the best spot for a large scale nuclear power plant. Given how much empty land the Feds own across the U.S., there are plenty of places to locate plants.

If the French can do it safely, so can we.

I live in a densely populated urban area - not the best spot for a large scale nuclear power plant. Given how much empty land the Feds own across the U.S., there are plenty of places to locate plants.

i repeat --- safety is not the biggest issue in shutting down the nuke plants. they are simply not cost effective.

Really?

How cost effective is cleaning up an enormous oil spill?

Cost effectiveness is a red herring. Once up and running, they are very cost effective.

FRANCE:

Reprocessing spent nuclear fuel

France reprocesses its own spent nuclear fuel. Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and Japan also send, or have sent in the past, spent nuclear fuel to France for reprocessing. High-level reprocessed waste is vitrified (solidified) and stored at La Hague for several decades, where it awaits final geologic disposal.

France’s Radioactive Waste Management Program - Fact Sheet

-in other words, they don't know what to do with it and haven't figured out where to bury it. Hope that helped.

Nope. All planes crash, regardless of who builds them. People involved in an airplane crash do not do better on an American made plane vs a Soviet built one. If you think so, I suggest you are nuts.

How many times an accident at a Nuke plant happens is irrelevant. I'm not even saying I would be 100% against a Nuke reactor anywhere any time, but the risks are understated. One accident is usually catastrophic. What happened with Chernobyl?
On 26 April 1986 the world witnessed the most serious nuclear accident in history. The Chernobyl disaster was a human tragedy, resulting in large-scale displacement of populations, the contamination of vast areas of land, and the loss of livelihoods. The people affected by the accident were confronted with situations they could not understand and against which they had no means of defense. The mental trauma suffered by those who had to be evacuated compounded an already intolerable situation as many experienced the severing of links with their home and social networks.

WHO | Health effects of the Chernobyl accident

If Nuke energy is relatively safe and the waste can be taken care of...all executives of energy companies and their families should put it i their back yards. I suggest you but a house near one. Every time I've been near one I get the creeps.

Dante, I'm telling you to compare the Crash rates and Failure rates from Soviet/Russian Built Jets to American Made...

My point, We have different ways to deal and handle Nuclear energy, we're smart and know how to deal with it so Accidents don't happen..

Hell, 15 miles away from there's a local Power Plant, nothing to worry about, been there for years..

I don't hate Government and Progressives... Hate is a strong word..

I do trust Private companies.. You obviously haven't read my posts on Corporations.. It's actually the Progressives who don't trust Corporations..

I hate them so much? Dante you talking out of your ass again and putting words in my mouth?

I'm not proposing a Nuclear Energy Only plan.. I'm for anything that benefits us..

Like Boedicca said, if the French can do it, so can we.

Chernobyl happened in '86.. That's exactly 24 years ago.. are you implying that the risks of another Chernobyl happening are still the same?

How many accidents have they had? What's the body count of France's using nuclear power for most of it's electrical needs?

So you want the power but you NIMBY it.:cuckoo:

i think if she wants it so badly it should be next door to her.

if it's so safe and all.

but they're the same way with so-called entitlements... cut everything except their entitlements.

that's what tea party loons do.

There will be another Chernobyl - but - NOT in the USA. It will be in those countries like Iran and N. Korea and then the USA and all industralized countries will have to go in and do the clean-up! But AFTER it has taken millions of lives! It will come from a third world country who have no clue about safety.

i think if she wants it so badly it should be next door to her.

Why? With vast amounts of unpopulated land across the United States, why is it necessary to locate any nuclear power plants in any neighborhood?

That's a pretty desperate argument on your side, but you do get 10 Points For Consistency.

I use airports, but don't want one next door. I like to go to football games, but don't want a stadium next door. Why should I want a large scale project of any type next to my house? Most people wouldn't - including you.

Last edited:
There will be another Chernobyl - but - NOT in the USA. It will be in those countries like Iran and N. Korea and then the USA and all industralized countries will have to go in and do the clean-up! But AFTER it has taken millions of lives! It will come from a third world country who have no clue about safety.

Good point. There is also the proliferation issue.

Forum List

Back