Any Lefties Anywhere Want To Tell Us How Great Cancelling Nuclear Plants Was?

Which is completely irrelevant to whether or not the U.S. should expand its use of Nuclear Power.

Kristol is an opinionator. He is not an omnipotent being who is correct about everything.

Which is completely irrelevant to whether or not the U.S. should expand its use of Nuclear Power.

Kristol is an opinionator. He is not an omnipotent being who is correct about everything.

Of course. I wasn't making an argument, I was just clarifying what I thought that other poster meant.

As I said, I'm in favor of expanding Nuclear power.

Me too. The benefits to our economy and national security would be quite significant.

Misspoke about what? Terrorist attacks on US soil are relatively rare too, so why the fuss?

Oh brother! Damn you are one stupid fuck!! How did you manage to go from oil rigs to terrorism?

I don't presume to know what the poster intended, but it might have to do with the fact that Bill Kristol is one of the predominant Neo-Conservative leaders, and runs PNAC.

I don't think the poster even knows what he intended. He goes from quoting Bill about oil rig safety to terrorist. What relevance does his political leanings have on his opinion about the safety of offshore oil rigs?

Oh brother! Damn you are one stupid fuck!! How did you manage to go from oil rigs to terrorism?

I don't presume to know what the poster intended, but it might have to do with the fact that Bill Kristol is one of the predominant Neo-Conservative leaders, and runs PNAC.

I don't think the poster even knows what he intended. He goes from quoting Bill about oil rig safety to terrorist. What relevance does his political leanings have on his opinion about the safety of offshore oil rigs?

Nothing at all.

His political leanings have a lot to with his opinions on terrorism though.
My statement was purely a non-sequitor, and I really wasn't trying to make a point. Let's move on.

Nothing at all.

His political leanings have a lot to with his opinions on terrorism though.
My statement was purely a non-sequitor, and I really wasn't trying to make a point. Let's move on.

Agreed.

One area in which I wish we resembled the French is in the area of using nuclear power as a major energy source.

Considering the negative effects of our petroleum dependency - oil spill and national security risks - do any of the Lefties want to explain why closing nuclear power plants and preventing new ones from being built was such a good idea?

well
I'm NOT a lefty

I'm a sane and rational person so I have a natural an drational aversion to lefties, righties and todays deranged hatefilled conservatives.

but I'll respond to your question.

My 2 main problems with nuclear power plants;

1. they should NOT be built so close to where we live.

build them FAR from our homes and then pipe the energy to us.

2. back in the 50's and 60's when they were first extoling nuclear power they INSISTED that nuclear power plants would make electricity SO CHEAP that we would be getting electricity practically for free!

they lied.

they always lie....

you want nuclear power?

ok

just not in my back yard

now
if you don't mind that they build nuclear power plants in YOUR back yard then...fine by me.

i just hope you don't start complaining when you get cancer and die way too early

Dante, That's like comparing Russian made Commercial Jets to American Commercial Jets..

Russian's suck at building and flying their planes, on the contrary Airbus and Boeing know how to build jets, just look on how many planes crash in Iran and the middle east..

Point is, It's irrational.

And tell me, how many times has another "Chernobyl" Happened?

about 18 years ago maine yankee ( a nuclear power plant on the coast of maine, in a town called wiscassett (they call it "wiscassett" cus that is its' name) there was some kind of a spill or leakage.

plant was shut down
nuclear waste was spilling into our water and coastline
took a long time and millions of dollars to clean up.

I believe the plant and its' LARGE containers of nuclear death are just sitting there about 2 miles from a quaint little resort town.

biding its time until the next disaster

I live about 30 miles from that plant....

if it explodes.....

MILLIONS will die

but I don't imagine any conservative will care about that

once again proving that they lie when they say "all life is precious"

One area in which I wish we resembled the French is in the area of using nuclear power as a major energy source.

Considering the negative effects of our petroleum dependency - oil spill and national security risks - do any of the Lefties want to explain why closing nuclear power plants and preventing new ones from being built was such a good idea?

WHOT?!

Nuclear Energy Institute - New Nuclear Plants

Some 17 companies and consortia are considering building more than 30 nuclear power plants. The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission is actively reviewing 13 combined license applications from 12 companies and consortia for 22 nuclear power plants.

U.S. Approves Support to Build Nuclear Reactors in Georgia - NYTimes.com

I'm pro nuclear energy. I know it will give lot's of Democrats "jobs".

Dante, That's like comparing Russian made Commercial Jets to American Commercial Jets..

Russian's suck at building and flying their planes, on the contrary Airbus and Boeing know how to build jets, just look on how many planes crash in Iran and the middle east..

Nope. All planes crash, regardless of who builds them. People involved in an airplane crash do not do better on an American made plane vs a Soviet built one. If you think so, I suggest you are nuts.

How many times an accident at a Nuke plant happens is irrelevant. I'm not even saying I would be 100% against a Nuke reactor anywhere any time, but the risks are understated. One accident is usually catastrophic. What happened with Chernobyl?
On 26 April 1986 the world witnessed the most serious nuclear accident in history. The Chernobyl disaster was a human tragedy, resulting in large-scale displacement of populations, the contamination of vast areas of land, and the loss of livelihoods. The people affected by the accident were confronted with situations they could not understand and against which they had no means of defense. The mental trauma suffered by those who had to be evacuated compounded an already intolerable situation as many experienced the severing of links with their home and social networks.

WHO | Health effects of the Chernobyl accident

If Nuke energy is relatively safe and the waste can be taken care of...all executives of energy companies and their families should put it i their back yards. I suggest you but a house near one. Every time I've been near one I get the creeps.

Dante, I'm telling you to compare the Crash rates and Failure rates from Soviet/Russian Built Jets to American Made...

My point, We have different ways to deal and handle Nuclear energy, we're smart and know how to deal with it so Accidents don't happen..

Hell, 15 miles away from there's a local Power Plant, nothing to worry about, been there for years..

I don't hate Government and Progressives... Hate is a strong word..

I do trust Private companies.. You obviously haven't read my posts on Corporations.. It's actually the Progressives who don't trust Corporations..

I hate them so much? Dante you talking out of your ass again and putting words in my mouth?

I'm not proposing a Nuclear Energy Only plan.. I'm for anything that benefits us..

Like Boedicca said, if the French can do it, so can we.

Chernobyl happened in '86.. That's exactly 24 years ago.. are you implying that the risks of another Chernobyl happening are still the same?

The French have not dealt with a long term plan for nuclear waste. Until somebody comes up with a plan on how we could safely deal with waste, I am leery.

then there is the accident scenarios. Will the benefits outweigh the costs? I hear/see very few honest calculations over the years. Then there is the US Nuke Industry and the US Government and their failed responses during Three Mile Island.

Now, maybe I'd support nuke plants...next to Millionaires row on a coastal resort far away from me...and hopefully NOT down wind. See what happened all over the world for months after Chernobyl had it's 15 minutes of fame?

How many accidents have they had? What's the body count of France's using nuclear power for most of it's electrical needs?

Wait until their first big accident, then get back to me...if we survive the chaos that is sure to follow. Will people panic and will the internet(s) be disrupted? I see a book idea coming out of this. We should all get together and write a novel with all our knowledge.

:lol:

'because it's not like three mile island was here or anything...'

Apples and oranges sweetie, apples and oranges.....

WHOT?!

Nuclear Energy Institute - New Nuclear Plants

Some 17 companies and consortia are considering building more than 30 nuclear power plants. The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission is actively reviewing 13 combined license applications from 12 companies and consortia for 22 nuclear power plants.

U.S. Approves Support to Build Nuclear Reactors in Georgia - NYTimes.com

Did you actually read the info at the link to the Consortia? Here's the current status of the plants - note note one is in California.

Summary by state (total 35, could be off a bit as I quickly tabbed these):

TX 6
SC 5
FL 4
NC 3
AL 2
GA 2
ID 1
IL 1
LA 1
MD 1
MI 1
MS 1
NJ 1
NY 1
OH 1
PA 1
TBD 1
UT 1
VA 1

4579412153_69572a5265_o.jpg

It's good to see some progress - but we have a long way to go.

about 18 years ago maine yankee ( a nuclear power plant on the coast of maine, in a town called wiscassett (they call it "wiscassett" cus that is its' name) there was some kind of a spill or leakage.

plant was shut down
nuclear waste was spilling into our water and coastline
took a long time and millions of dollars to clean up.

I believe the plant and its' LARGE containers of nuclear death are just sitting there about 2 miles from a quaint little resort town.

biding its time until the next disaster

I live about 30 miles from that plant....

if it explodes.....

MILLIONS will die

but I don't imagine any conservative will care about that

once again proving that they lie when they say "all life is precious"

I know the place. Spooky shit. Even seeing the one in Plymouth MA from a friends back yard used to spook the shit out of me.

Forum List

Back