Any Ex-Conservatives on here?

I personally know many ex-liberals who were avid Obama supporters until they saw the hard facts and truth regarding his administration.

But I've never seen any educated conservatives "open their eyes" and turn to liberalism.

Another example is economist Thomas Sowell who used to be a hard-core supporter of Marxism in his early years; even while studying under Milton Friedman. Today, he's as Right as can be.

So, are there any ex-conservatives on this board? I'd like to hear your story. :redface:

Have you seen the many posters like JakeStarkey say they voted GOP until Republicans went too far right? Have you seen the treatment Republicans like John McCain get from posters here when they don't vote lockstep with the GOP? They are called liars and RINOs. I predict the very same will happen in this topic, and you will do nothing to counter it. You know there are ex-Republicans on this board, but you have already decided they have been lying all along.

I'm one of those ex-Republicans. I wouldn't call myself an ex-conservative, and certainly not a liberal. But ex-Republican? Absolutely. That party went full nutjob, and took much of the right wing with it.

And yes, I got called every deragatory word you can imagine on this forum, I am called a liberal who was posing (for 4 years I guess) on this board as a right winger. Yep, that was my plan. Pose on USMB for 4 years, then turn!!!:cuckoo:

I was able to stomach a lot of bullshit from the right over the years and kept supporting them. But sometime in 2010, the right wing turned on cops, especially local and state GOP members. That was the deal breaker for me.

lol, yeah. it takes a certain mindset to post stuff on forums. A certain arrogance that most people don;t have. I only know one other person who will even read a forum and it would kill him to actually write on it. he just reads it for opinions.

I personally know many ex-liberals who were avid Obama supporters until they saw the hard facts and truth regarding his administration.

But I've never seen any educated conservatives "open their eyes" and turn to liberalism.

Another example is economist Thomas Sowell who used to be a hard-core supporter of Marxism in his early years; even while studying under Milton Friedman. Today, he's as Right as can be.

So, are there any ex-conservatives on this board? I'd like to hear your story. :redface:

I have voted Republican since 1984, until 2012. This was the first time I have voted Democrat. I would not consider myself a conservative in the sense that most do but rather a practical Republican. I suppose you would call me a RINO. Of course RINO's are the real Republicans, not the far right crazies who have taken over the party. I have not wrapped my arms around liberalism, but at this point, Democrats come closer to my thinking than the far right who have taken over and destroyed the Republican Party.

To your shock, I can guarantee you there are many more like me out there. They just don't tend to hang around these types of forums.

Sowell and others were Marxists and hard core leftists, they were not liberals.

gawd, where the heck do we find intelligent conservatives that can see beyond the ring wing nonsense? do they exist?

:thewave:

Left wing extremists become right wing extremists? I wonder why? Fringe thinkers see only opposite ends of a spectrum. :rofl:

this thread is so sophomoric it's incredible

Last edited:

gawd, where the heck do we find intelligent conservatives that can see beyond the ring wing nonsense? do they exist?

There are a few, but will not speak up because dissent in the party is not allowed.
Disagree and you become about as popular as a fart in an elevator.

There are a few, but will not speak up because dissent in the party is not allowed.
Disagree and you become about as popular as a fart in an elevator.

Conservatives, not Republicans. But I get what you mean. :eusa_angel:

Ex Republican, staunch conservative. I left the Republican Party when they started acting and governing like liberals. I'll vote for a Republican over a Democrat but I haven't seen very many true conservatives lately.

I was a conservative Republican until after Nixon/Ford.
Conservative means something far different than it meant 40 years ago. The conservative movement today is reactionary, seeks to return to something that never was and never will be.

I was a conservative Republican until after Nixon/Ford.
Conservative means something far different than it meant 40 years ago. The conservative movement today is reactionary, seeks to return to something that never was and never will be.

These people who call themselves conservatives today are Batshit nuts. They remind me of JBS.

Why? You'd probably say, "I don't believe you".

My story- I voted for my first Republican President in 1980. I really like what Reagan had to say vs. the way Jimmy Carter always equivocated. Plus through the 1980's, I was associated with the military, and Reagan was damned good to the military.

1992, I became disillusioned with Bush Sr, the Gulf War and such, but Ross Perot was crazy and Clinton was kind of a sleeze. So I voted for Bush again. Clinton proved most of my misgivings about him were well-placed, so I voted for Dole even though Dole seemed to not know why he was running for president. (For instance, when he gave his valedictory speech on leaving the senate, and spoke for a couple hours of how he expanded government.)

Now, a couple reason why I stopped identifying with the conservatives.

To Paraphrase Ronald Reagan, I didn't leave the party, the party left me.

At some point, the GOP stopped being about small efficient government and just about hating government altogether.

It became about manipulating the religious loons to vote against their own economic interests to benefit the rich.

So I watched the middle class America that my parents enjoyed slowly slip away. The kicker was when my last boss fired me after I had run up some considerable medical bills, and when I pointed out that what he was doing was kind of unethical, he announced proudly, "Well, that's why I'm glad this isn't a union shop second guessing my decisions."

Now, personally, I think the notion of people becoming dependent on government is abhorent.

But when you chip away at the ability of the middle class to fend for itself, you create more government dependency...

Except for the fact that I was a very slow learner and voted Nixon, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Reagan, Bush, Bush, Dole and Bush the first time....what he said.

Didja get your allotment of cookies when you came over to the Dark Side? If not, I'll bake you up a batch......

Regards from Rosie

I have always been registered as an Independent, but was considering voting for McCain in 2008, until he picked that numb skull Palin as his VP. In 2012 I was going to vote for Gary Johnson, but sat out that election after Republicans fought to keep him off the Pennsylvania ballot. I never voted for Obama, but it is at a point where I think he would be better than any of the batshit crazy Republicans available.

Have you seen the many posters like JakeStarkey say they voted GOP until Republicans went too far right? Have you seen the treatment Republicans like John McCain get from posters here when they don't vote lockstep with the GOP? They are called liars and RINOs. I predict the very same will happen in this topic, and you will do nothing to counter it. You know there are ex-Republicans on this board, but you have already decided they have been lying all along.

I'm one of those ex-Republicans. I wouldn't call myself an ex-conservative, and certainly not a liberal. But ex-Republican? Absolutely. That party went full nutjob, and took much of the right wing with it.

And yes, I got called every deragatory word you can imagine on this forum, I am called a liberal who was posing (for 4 years I guess) on this board as a right winger. Yep, that was my plan. Pose on USMB for 4 years, then turn!!!:cuckoo:

I was able to stomach a lot of bullshit from the right over the years and kept supporting them. But sometime in 2010, the right wing turned on cops, especially local and state GOP members. That was the deal breaker for me.
Soooooo, the GOP politicians who went after unsustainable union demands, that were aiding in bankrupting cities and counties, is considered "turning on cops"?

Interesting.:eusa_whistle:

Too be fair, TooAlive has been very fair listening to people's stories.

[
On the other hand, I would like to see more free market in education. I wouldn't mind seeing vouchers for people who think their kids might do better in a parochial or religious school (even though I personally detest religion) to get their kids out of failing public schools where the unions and bureaucracies don't care that much about results.

Agree with regard to the idiocy of labels and the need for a pragmatic approach, disagree with regard to the last paragraph.

The pragmatic approach to failing public schools is to find out why they’re failing and fix the problem, not allowing public schools to continue to fail, thus failing the students left behind.

Some of the best schools in the Nation are public schools, and those schools enjoy the financing and support of their local communities, which contributes to their success.

I do think we need to fix the schools. But I think vouchers and some privatization could be part of that solution. Nothing makes people work harder than the notion that they could lose their jobs to the competition.

I also think some kids would probably only really thrive in a Catholic School. I know what I was like as a kid. Now, I still have a lot of resentment for the nuns and they way they treated the kids, which bordered on abuse. But I suspect that if were in a modern public school, they'd have pumped me full of Ritalin and called it a day.

[

Soooooo, the GOP politicians who went after unsustainable union demands, that were aiding in bankrupting cities and counties, is considered "turning on cops"?

Interesting.:eusa_whistle:

So a decent paycheck is "unsustainable".

The average salary for a cop in this country is $50,512. Nice. Some go as high as $67,000. And they have decent medical and pension plans. How dare they!

If they are "unsustainable", it's because salaries for the rest of the middle class haven't kept up with the tax base to pay for them. The problem is, we don't tax the wealthy enough and the rest of the middle class has shrunk to make it unsustainable.

So the Republicans don't want to tax the rich. While 50K for a cop is "unsustainable", 12 million for a CEO who runs his company into bankruptcy, that's perfectly okay in Conservative Land. 50 Million a year for a fat, closeted homosexual, drug abusing Hate Radio Host... why that's perfectly okay.

So why middle class "conservatives" wonder why gay marriage is being legitimized and abortion hasn't been outlawed yet and why their kids are still being taught they evolved from Monkeys in the schools, despite all their voting for Republicans, the wealthy did get what they wanted.

They got the free trade to move your job to China. They got the At-Will Employment law that makes it easy to fire you if you run into a medical issue (as happened to me five years ago). They got the "Right to Work" law that lets employers hire scabs.

And if those cops and firefighters kept their middle class lifestyle, well, that shit is totally "Unsustainable".

Until they saw the hard facts and truth? Have you any direct quotes?

This is a center-left nation. Moving that direction as more people become educated and involved.

There are only bogus ones. Rush calls them "seminar callers."

Being called 'bogus" or "seminar" by a closeted homosexual draft dodger with a drug addiction is the ultimate in irony.

Limbaugh is the ultimate in being bogus.

A communist who hates everything the Republican Party stands for claims he was once a Republican?

Yeah, that's credible.

There are only bogus ones. Rush calls them "seminar callers."

Being called 'bogus" or "seminar" by a closeted homosexual draft dodger with a drug addiction is the ultimate in irony.

Limbaugh is the ultimate in being bogus.

A communist who hates everything the Republican Party stands for claims he was once a Republican?

Yeah, that's credible.
Exactly why he's not worth any paying attention too.

Forum List

Back