Anti-Obama Sentiment grows: Tea Party Movement Spreads To Military

Jan 17, 2010
Mississippi
God bless our patriotic members of our military. I am glad members of the military are being strong Constitutionalists. Since this is not a Political Party, it is a MOVEMENT for the constitution of which the military has vowed to defend, I see no reason they should not be entitled to be involved.

sarah-in-fatigues-shaking-hands-with-military.jpg

062309-Palin-full.jpg

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/04/tea_party_movement_spreads_to_military.php?ref=fpb

The Tea Party movement has gained a foothold in the armed forces.

A new Tea Party group, Armed Forces Tea Party Patriots, has grown quickly since being launched last month by an active duty Marine Corps sergeant. The group, which vows to "stand up on the very soil we defended to preserve common sense conservatism and defend our Constitution that is threatened by a tyrannical government," currently has over 400 members, who have signed up through its Facebook page, though many are not active duty military. And it has close ties to the broader Tea Party movement.
"People in the military need to be heard," the group's prime organizer, Gary Stein -- a Marine Corps sergeant stationed at Camp Pendleton in southern California -- told TPMmuckraker in an interview. "Our opinions do count."
Many people in the military "feel like they can't speak out against Obama or Congress," said Stein. "The armed forces should have a little bit more say than we think we do," he said.

Stein said he had served in the Marine Corps for seven years, including service in Iraq. He described himself as a "strong conservative" who had found himself disillusioned with the GOP. Stein formed the new group, he said, after finding like-minded cohorts on his base, then co-ordinating with a friend who's active in a local southern California Tea Party chapter.

[snip]
In promoting the Armed Forces Tea Party Patriots, Stein has raised the possibility of disobeying presidential orders. In one recent online posting, he wrote:
My oath was to the Constitution, not to the politicians, and that oath will be kept. I won't "Just follow" orders. There is at this time a debate within the ranks of the military regarding their oath. Some mistakenly believe they must follow any order the President issues. But many others do understand that their loyalty is to the Constitution and to the people...
That declaration echoes one made by the Oath Keepers, a group of current and former military and law enforcement personnel who havevowed not to follow orders deemed to be unconstitutional -- including any orders to disarm Americans. Stein agreed that the two groups are kindred spirits. "I think we're very like-minded with the Oathkeepers," he said. "I strongly support the Oathkeepers."

Stein's political activism seems to have raised some concern among his superiors. Late last month, he wrote online: "Was just told by a Marine Corps Officer to watch what I say about Obama... I think not..." And later that same day: "I was just told to keep my opinons (sic) to myself about Obama, by my Officer-in-Charge (OIC)."

[snip] This isn't the first time that anti-Obama sentiment has surfaced within the military. Several active duty service members have challenged their orders to deploy overseas, on the grounds that President Obama was not born in the U.S. and his orders are therefore illegitimate.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
God bless our patriotic members of our military. I am glad members of the military are being strong Constitutionalists. Since this is not a Political Party, it is a MOVEMENT for the constitution of which the military has vowed to defend, I see no reason they should not be entitled to be involved.

062309-Palin-full.jpg

Tea Party Movement Spreads To Military | TPMMuckraker

A new Tea Party group, Armed Forces Tea Party Patriots, has grown quickly since being launched last month by an active duty Marine Corps sergeant. The group, which vows to "stand up on the very soil we defended to preserve common sense conservatism and defend our Constitution that is threatened by a tyrannical government," currently has over 400 members, who have signed up through its Facebook page, though many are not active duty military. And it has close ties to the broader Tea Party movement.
"People in the military need to be heard," the group's prime organizer, Gary Stein -- a Marine Corps sergeant stationed at Camp Pendleton in southern California -- told TPMmuckraker in an interview. "Our opinions do count."
Many people in the military "feel like they can't speak out against Obama or Congress," said Stein. "The armed forces should have a little bit more say than we think we do," he said.

Stein said he had served in the Marine Corps for seven years, including service in Iraq. He described himself as a "strong conservative" who had found himself disillusioned with the GOP. Stein formed the new group, he said, after finding like-minded cohorts on his base, then co-ordinating with a friend who's active in a local southern California Tea Party chapter.

[snip]
In promoting the Armed Forces Tea Party Patriots, Stein has raised the possibility of disobeying presidential orders. In one recent online posting, he wrote:
My oath was to the Constitution, not to the politicians, and that oath will be kept. I won't "Just follow" orders. There is at this time a debate within the ranks of the military regarding their oath. Some mistakenly believe they must follow any order the President issues. But many others do understand that their loyalty is to the Constitution and to the people...
That declaration echoes one made by the Oath Keepers, a group of current and former military and law enforcement personnel who havevowed not to follow orders deemed to be unconstitutional -- including any orders to disarm Americans. Stein agreed that the two groups are kindred spirits. "I think we're very like-minded with the Oathkeepers," he said. "I strongly support the Oathkeepers."

Stein's political activism seems to have raised some concern among his superiors. Late last month, he wrote online: "Was just told by a Marine Corps Officer to watch what I say about Obama... I think not..." And later that same day: "I was just told to keep my opinons (sic) to myself about Obama, by my Officer-in-Charge (OIC)."

[snip] This isn't the first time that anti-Obama sentiment has surfaced within the military. Several active duty service members have challenged their orders to deploy overseas, on the grounds that President Obama was not born in the U.S. and his orders are therefore illegitimate.

While it is true that many Tea Partiers are critical of the policies President Obama promotes and the tone of much of what he says, I don't know of any Tea Party groups who are birthers.

Of course it doesn't help the President when he has a Freudian slip in an interview with George Stephanopolis and refers to his Muslim faith nor did Michelle calm the waters speaking to a Gay and Lesbian group this last week in which she referred to her husband visiting his home country of Kenya.

YouTube - Michelle Obama - "My husbands home country, Kenya" - PLEASE MAKE THIS VIDEO GO VIRAL!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKGdkqfBICw]YouTube - Obama: "My Muslim Faith"[/ame]

Sarge, you are treading the edges of sedition. When you sign up, you swear to uphold the Constitution and obey all lawful orders. I have yet to see any of the teabaggers that were intelligent enough to know what an unlawful order consisted of.

Sounds to me like the Oathkeepers are simply another group that likes to hide the nature of Treason under a name.

So the President was caught thinking of one thing, and talking about another. Any here that have not made a verbal slip in that manner?

As far as the 'home country' comment is concerned, I have heard people make the same remark about visiting the nation in Europe that their ancestors came from.

• Banned
Sarge, you are treading the edges of sedition. When you sign up, you swear to uphold the Constitution and obey all lawful orders. I have yet to see any of the teabaggers that were intelligent enough to know what an unlawful order consisted of.

Sounds to me like the Oathkeepers are simply another group that likes to hide the nature of Treason under a name.
I understand why you'd be wary of that, but you have to remember that if there is a question of members of our government, including the president, subverting the US Constitution, that puts the military squarely in the heart of the matter. Each member swears an oath to defend the Constitution against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic. These military members are not setting aside their oath to become political - they are resolving to honor the oath they took with the understanding that politics may pressure them not to.

Sedition? I took an oath to uphold the Constitution, not the Government. The two are not mutually inclusive. One is mandated by the other, but can still abuse that of which I took an oath to uphold. Honoring the oath is not treason.

I think refusing to follow orders because you don't like the president's politics is grounds for dismissal.

I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC; THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME AND THAT I WILL OBEY THE ORDERS OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE ORDERS OF THE OFFICERS APPOINTED OVER ME, ACCORDING TO THE REGULATIONS AND THE UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE. SO HELP ME GOD.

http://www.marines.com/main/ftaf?pg=/making_marines/culture/traditions/the_oath

• Banned
I think refusing to follow orders because you don't like the president's politics is grounds for dismissal.

I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC; THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME AND THAT I WILL OBEY THE ORDERS OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE ORDERS OF THE OFFICERS APPOINTED OVER ME, ACCORDING TO THE REGULATIONS AND THE UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE. SO HELP ME GOD.

The Uniformed Officers Oath: The President is omitted. A Big Difference.

[I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.]

This is what Lt Col Lakin took.

Last edited:
He never took the other one? I doubt it. One doesn't nullify the other. But good effort on your part.

Now, please change your screen name, you're a disgrace to the Army.

Sedition? I took an oath to uphold the Constitution, not the Government. The two are not mutually inclusive. One is mandated by the other, but can still abuse that of which I took an oath to uphold. Honoring the oath is not treason.
I agree.

Sooo....if the President bars you from your free speech and assembly rights because your in the military, just what should a "good" soldier do?

Sooo....if the President bars you from your free speech and assembly rights because your in the military, just what should a "good" soldier do?

Any member of the armed forces can be barred from free speech and assembly by their commanding officer. It comes with the territory

Any member of the armed forces can be barred from free speech and assembly by their commanding officer. It comes with the territory

Please cite a source that applies outside of a combat zone or military operation.

I have a question regarding a soldier upholding the Constitution:

Do soldiers get to decide when something is Constitutional and when something is not Constitutional?

And if a soldier was to consider (for example) the Healthcare bill un-Constitutional, would that be grounds for them to decide not to investigate a cave in Afghanistan?

Last edited:

That's because you don't have a clue about the nature of treason. Read the constitution, the definition is rather narrow. Either go to war against the nation or give aid and comfort to enemies (meaning those with whom the US is at war)
Nothing else is treason, not even someone falsifying records to get into a political office for which they are unqualified.

That's because you don't have a clue about the nature of treason. Read the constitution, the definition is rather narrow. Either go to war against the nation or give aid and comfort to enemies (meaning those with whom the US is at war)
Nothing else is treason, not even someone falsifying records to get into a political office for which they are unqualified.

:eek: birther!

The right isn't "critical" of Obama's policies. Ask them individual questions. "Should you be allowed to put your kids on your health care plan?" "Send more troops to Afghanistan?" "Cut taxes on those making less than 200,000 dollars a year." and you get a resounding "YES".

But ask them "Do you want Obamacare" and you get a no. This is all due to white wing rants. They hate Obama because he's black. That's why you suddenly have all the interest in the "Confederacy".

About the military, "Almost 90% think war is retaliation for Saddam's role in 9/11" - this was from a Zogby International poll. Where would they get such an idea? Who would end up with this line of logic:

We were attacked by Arabians based in Afghanistan. That must mean Iraq's Saddam was behind the attacks. You might as well say Peter Pan was behind the attacks. The question remains, "Where did these troops get that idea?

Zogby International

062309-Palin-full.jpg

Tea Party Movement Spreads To Military | TPMMuckraker

[snip]

Is there ANYTHING these folks won't do to get out of doing their jobs?

The OP title is misleading - our first Tea Party meetings were during the Bush Administration. It's not a partisan organization, except in the controlled mainstream media who need to marginalize it lest their paymasters lose control of the country.

With regards to treason, the fact that we're even having the discussion is evidence enough that something very wrong is happening in this country. It's my opinion that we've had a rogue executive leadership in this country for the last several decades who are gradually and incrementally workiing to transfer power away from the people and concentrate it within the executive branch.

The goal is to consolidate as much aurthority as possible under the White House so that the private interests who virtually own our executive branch can "lawfully" (but unConstitutionally) alter this nation until we are equal to the rest of the world, and eventually will be willing to integrate peacefully into a global economic system.

Any resistance to that effort by the military or by law enforcement is not treason. It's an act of patriotism. The media will use the left/right propaganda umbrella to marginalize their effort, but many people are waking up to reality and realizing that the left/right paradigm is nothing more than a tool to distort and manipulate our opinions. There will be many who are still asleep at the wheel who will only recognize this kind of activity as treason, but that's to be expected. Not everyone has the information or clarity to understand what is happening.

In the spirit of '76, resistance to tyranny is the heart of liberty. The only way to maintain that spirit with 100% assurance is to demand 100% support of the US Constitution. Therefore, it's the people who follow orders and laws that violate the Constitution are the traitors. Those are the ones who need to hear the message most, if they have a desire to be faithful and loyal to this country.

Forum List

Back