Antarctic sea ice 2016: Historic lows

Good for them. So what?

What do you want to bet that all 375 of them have grown quite fat at the government money trough that Trump is threatening to shut down?
I'm sure they drive nice cars, live in big houses and have large carbon footprints.

This climate hoax has been great for them...before it started the best gig most of them could hope for was as a weatherman on some local TV show and 35K a year.

No ME and the climate scientists KNOW there is a big buffer.

We're still waiting for you to describe that system function which can give the climate output based on solar input. A long time ago, you said you were working on it. Where is it? Come on, put it out there. Do some science, and make a testable prediction.

Oh, that's right, it's impossible to find such a function, being how the earth is responding in a way which is pretty much opposite to the way any system function could behave. Doesn't it suck when the data blows apart your religious beliefs?

It is an interesting theory, the way you think heat can hide in the oceans for 30 years, totally invisible to thermometers. There's a word for that, "magic". Your theory depends on invoking magic, which would be why it's not taken seriously by the scientific community.

We're still waiting for you to describe that system function which can give the climate output based on solar input. A long time ago, you said you were working on it. Where is it? Come on, put it out there. Do some science, and make a testable prediction.

Oh, that's right, it's impossible to find such a function, being how the earth is responding in a way which is pretty much opposite to the way any system function could behave. Doesn't it suck when the data blows apart your religious beliefs?

It is an interesting theory, the way you think heat can hide in the oceans for 30 years, totally invisible to thermometers. There's a word for that, "magic". Your theory depends on invoking magic, which would be why it's not taken seriously by the scientific community.

Nice personal rant. Do you totally believe that "heat can't hide in the oceans"?? Because that would put you at odds with mainstream climate science and with me. And by "hiding" --- I mean not contributing the the GMAST. So if its' 400m or more down -- it's "hiding"..

You're such a waste of electrons. Truly you are..

For Dec. 3rd JAXA has posted 10,999,093 km2 for SIE around Antarctica.

That makes for a large drop of 319,179 km2.

index.php

Nice personal rant. Do you totally believe that "heat can't hide in the oceans"??

Of course not, being that it contradicts the science.

Because that would put you at odds with mainstream climate science and with me.

No, you just claim that so you don't have to justify the failure of your own theory.

And by "hiding" --- I mean not contributing the the GMAST. So if its' 400m or more down -- it's "hiding"..

Since around 2009, ocean temperatures have been measured down to 2000m.

But then, that whole issue is kind of a red herring, being that the surface temps have been warming strongly and steadily. Heat isn't just sitting in the oceans. It's busting out at the surface.

I know you don't like discussing your theory, and prefer to simply state it's obviously correct, and no one is allowed to criticize it. Myself, I'd like to explore your theories more.

How does the heat get into the deep oceans to hide without first showing up at the surface? Mainstream science points to the thermohaline circulation, and tracks the movement of the heat that way, so it doesn't have trouble explaining it. Your theory more or less assumes magic. Can you be a little more explicit than "... and then a miracle occurs."?

What predictions are you making for the near future, based on your "climate is just responding to a step increase in solar output after a 30-year delay" theory? After all, scientists are supposed to make predictions based on their theories, which is how those theories get tested.

Why doesn't real-world temperature resemble any sort of simple system response? That is, we expect a response to a step function to be a [1-exp(-kt)] type thing. Instead, it's been rather linear, with no signs of slowing down. What sort of system function could cause such a response?

Nice personal rant. Do you totally believe that "heat can't hide in the oceans"?? Because that would put you at odds with mainstream climate science and with me. And by "hiding" --- I mean not contributing the the GMAST. So if its' 400m or more down -- it's "hiding"..

Truly.

For Dec. 3rd JAXA has posted 10,999,093 km2 for SIE around Antarctica.

That makes for a large drop of 319,179 km2.

index.php

Do you understand what a MEAN is? If 2014 is the 1st highest. And 2010/2013 were also high records -- What should the MEAN become over that period? EVEN over the shorter NON climate period of a decade?

Why are you crapping your pants over this daily? You think there is no natural variation to all of this? Hardly anything in nature is measured without rather large variations.

Lol,

It is way below the avg sea ice of the past two decades so something changed this year that goes against 2000-2014....Maybe the ocean temperatures beneath the ice finally warmed up enough to make it impossible to maintain the balance that allowed for sea ice growth(precipitation increasing because of warmer world going against the slow warming ocean).

I guess you're not a scientist as you don't really care to watch such processes and would probably rather do something more important like feed your cat. All you do is deny outright what is occurring before our very eyes.

Certainly you could argue that this year is a huge anomaly and outside of that means but a trend has to start somewhere.

Last edited:
For Dec. 5th JAXA has posted 10,615,432 km2 for SIE around Antarctica.

This is a drop of 171,987 km2.

If you don't like me posting the daily number's, well, you can kiss my part native American ass.

You never answered my question matthew....what is it like to live in a constant state of emotional agitation?...to be afraid of the future based on a thing that you believe to be true but isn't.?

Lol,

It is way below the avg sea ice of the past two decades so something changed this year that goes against 2000-2014....Maybe the ocean temperatures beneath the ice finally warmed up enough to make it impossible to maintain the balance that allowed for sea ice growth(precipitation increasing because of warmer world going against the slow warming ocean).

I guess you're not a scientist as you don't really care to watch such processes and would probably rather do something more important like feed your cat. All you do is deny outright what is occurring before our very eyes.

Certainly you could argue that this year is a huge anomaly and outside of that means but a trend has to start somewhere.

No Matthew. The way that we RELY on means to suggest what is NORMAL -- is that we allow variances from year to year so that they CANCEL OUT over reasonable periods of time. And what you're doing panicking over DAILY numbers means nothing in the context of a 10 or 30 year average.

That's why if if 2014 was the ABSOLUTE HIGHEST observation in recent history, than no one should be panicking that this year is below average. Not anything to DO with "climate". And I guarantee, the Earth doesn't "break" in just a year from CO2 forcing. 100% guaranteed...

I just read an article that a piece of ice the size of the country of India is gone, and that the ice in the Arctic and Antarctic are at record lows for this time of year.

But then again those guy's who are reporting that will just be blown off as fake.

s_plot.png

Sea Ice Index

Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

This year, Antarctic sea ice reached its annual maximum extent on August 31, much earlier than average, and has since been declining at a fairly rapid pace, tracking more than two standard deviations below the 1981 to 2010 average. This led to a new record low for the month of November over the period of satellite observations (Figure 5a). Average extent in November was 14.54 million square kilometers (5.61 million square miles). This was 1.0 million square kilometers (386,000 square miles) below the previous record low of 15.54 million square kilometers (6.00 million square miles) set in 1986 and 1.81 million square kilometers (699,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average.

For the month, Antarctic ice extent was 5.7 standard deviations below the long-term average. This departure from average was more than twice as large as the previous record departure from average, set in November 1986.

Ice extent is lower than average on both sides of the continent, particularly within the Indian Ocean and the western Ross Sea, but also to a lesser extent in the Weddell Sea and west of the Antarctic Peninsula in the eastern Bellingshausen Sea. Moreover, several very large polynyas (areas of open water within the pack) have opened in the eastern Weddell and along the Amundsen Sea and Ross Sea coast.

Air temperatures at the 925 mbar level were 2 to 4 degrees Celsius (4 to 7 degrees Fahrenheit) above average near the sea ice edge during late October and early November, corresponding to the period of rapid sea ice decline (Figure 5b).

The entire austral autumn and winter (since March 2016) was characterized by generally strong west to east winds blowing around the continent. This was associated with a positive phase of the Southern Annular Mode, or SAM. This pattern tends to push the ice eastward, but the Coriolis force acting in the ice adds a component of northward drift. During austral spring (September, October and November), the SAM index switched from strongly positive (+4 in mid-September, a record) to negative (-2.8 in mid-November). When the westerly wind pattern broke down in November, winds in several areas of Antarctica started to blow from the north. Over a broad area near Wilkes Land, the ice edge was pushed toward the continent. Areas with southward winds were also located between Dronning Maud Land and Enderby Land, and near the Antarctic Peninsula. This created three regions where ice extent quickly became much less extensive than usual (Figure 5c), reflected in the rapid decline in extent for the Antarctic as a whole. Interspersed with the areas of compressed sea ice and winds from the north, areas of south winds produced large open water areas near the coast, creating the polynyas.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back