Another way to save gas.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
If you're not in a hurry, and there's no one behind you...coast.

Most of us know of stretches where we can coast for some distance. Of course if you're in a hurry this won't work, and you don't want to be a nuisance to others either.

Most of us know of stretches where we can coast for some distance. Of course if you're in a hurry this won't work, and you don't want to be a nuisance to others either.
I live at the 2nd highest point in the Arkansas Ozarks, and coasting off this mountain is easy to do. Another way to save gas is adding acetone to your gas. I forget what the amount to use is but I'm sure is easy to find online.

I live at the 2nd highest point in the Arkansas Ozarks, and coasting off this mountain is easy to do. Another way to save gas is adding acetone to your gas. I forget what the amount to use is but I'm sure is easy to find online.
Interesting, but I'll pass on that.

I once coasted down a mountain for 11 miles.

The cheapest way to save gas (while driving) is to make sure tires are inflated to proper pressure. The best way is to drive as little as possible.

I have heard it is hard on the transmission.

I have heard it is hard on the transmission.
By 'coasting' I don't mean putting car into 'neutral'; just not accelerating on a downgrade or when a full stop is anticipated such as a traffic light or stop sign ahead. Thus, the drivetrain is always engaged.

Last edited:

Economy drivers are a nuisance

they ease away from a green light after just sitting there stupidly for a few seconds when it turns green

on the freeway they poke along serenely while the rest of traffic tries to get around them

yuk

Last edited:
Economy drivers are a nuisance

they ease away from a green light after just sitting there stupidly when it turns green

on the freeway they poke along serenely while the rest of traffic tries to get around them

yuk
I agree. When in traffic go with the flow.

Forum List

Back