Animal Activists Kill The Horse-Drawn Carriage Industry

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
At least in Chicago it would seem. Come January 1st, after the horse having served for thousands of years pulling the noble carriage, scenes likes these much like the Drive-In and the Circus may now fade into history like most every other good thing progressives get their hands on.

voxa_CST_0403.0.jpg

148936890-56a397ad3df78cf7727e1b0c.jpg

What is the problem you ask? Such carriages enjoy a very limited market. Mostly tourists (tourism!) and people like newlyweds and kids on a prom night. Yet some think they are just tying up Chicago's busy streets nevertheless! Worst, they see them as a danger. Look out! Don't hit that horse with your speeding car!

It seems, what it really comes down to is the animal activists who feel it is just cruel and unusual punishment to force the horse to breathe bus fumes.

But it is perfectly OK for you to breath them.

horse-carriage-and-water-tower-in-chicago-585361581-5afe16c23418c6003846d7d6.jpg

Such a shame. It is this very sort of thing that most lends real charm to a city like Chicago or NYC. Especially around Christmas time. What could be a greater delight than to go riding around town by the clippity-clop of a horse-drawn carriage?

Worse, I'm sure these horses look forward to being productive. Having a job, a purpose. Going out each day and taking people for rides. Olde World Charm. What will become of them? Spend their days standing around in a barn? And never mind putting the operator out of his business.

Perhaps some of this can be saved by moving the horses just outside the city away from the fumes and worst of the traffic. Maybe that could placate the animal activists wishing to 'save' the animals. But then, they will be away from a great many of their customers, and the very sights people come to see.

End of the road for Chicago’s horse-drawn carriage industry

horse-carriage.jpg

what's gonna HAPPEN to horses now. They seem to have OUT LIVED
their usefulness. ----good news---I think HORSE MEAT is halal. It is not
kosher------SO MAYBE horses will be permitted to survive. Horse racing
is OBVIOUSLY inhumane. Bison is making a comeback -----it IS kosher---
if properly killed. ----(giraffe could be kosher----if someone could reach the carotic pulse)

Good!

No reason to abuse innocent, defenseless animals some asshole humans can have a little thrill.

They have been banned in Montreal city. I agreed with Montreal's decision, and I agree with Chicago's as well.

At least in Chicago it would seem. Come January 1st, after the horse having served for thousands of years pulling the noble carriage, scenes likes these much like the Drive-In and the Circus may now fade into history like most every other good thing progressives get their hands on.

View attachment 312196
View attachment 312197

What is the problem you ask? Such carriages enjoy a very limited market. Mostly tourists (tourism!) and people like newlyweds and kids on a prom night. Yet some think they are just tying up Chicago's busy streets nevertheless! Worst, they see them as a danger. Look out! Don't hit that horse with your speeding car!

It seems, what it really comes down to is the animal activists who feel it is just cruel and unusual punishment to force the horse to breathe bus fumes.

View attachment 312200

Such a shame. It is this very sort of thing that most lends real charm to a city like Chicago or NYC. Especially around Christmas time. What could be a greater delight than to go riding around town by the clippity-clop of a horse-drawn carriage?

Worse, I'm sure these horses look forward to being productive. Having a job, a purpose. Going out each day and taking people for rides. Olde World Charm. What will become of them? Spend their days standing around in a barn? And never mind putting the operator out of his business.

Perhaps some of this can be saved by moving the horses just outside the city away from the fumes and worst of the traffic. Maybe that could placate the animal activists wishing to 'save' the animals. But then, they will be away from a great many of their customers, and the very sights people come to see.

View attachment 312202
Those poor things always looked absolutely miserable walking slowly on pavement crowded with cars and people, hours and hours every day.

Good!

No reason to abuse innocent, defenseless animals some asshole humans can have a little thrill.

Yeah, no sense "abusing" those horses with all that love and attention of people stopping and petting them and fawning over them all day long. Now they can live out their life in an empty barn looking at the wood planks all day long wondering where all the action, people, love, and sense of purpose are!

View attachment 312196
View attachment 312197

View attachment 312200

View attachment 312202
Those poor things always looked absolutely miserable walking slowly on pavement crowded with cars and people, hours and hours every day.

That is only your poor, miserable guilt-laden mind speaking to you. The horses only look exactly like horses, wherever they were doing anything.

Good!

Yeah, no sense "abusing" those horses with all that love and attention of people stopping and petting them and fawning over them all day long. Now they can live out their life in an empty barn looking at the wood planks all day long wondering where all the action, people, love, and sense of purpose are!
It is an industry that COULD be run humanely...but often is not. It is rife with abuse. If they ant or won’t self regulate then this is the only alternative.

Good!

It is an industry that COULD be run humanely...but often is not. It is rife with abuse. If they ant or won’t self regulate then this is the only alternative.

Nothing inhumane about a horse drawing a carriage. But then, I suppose anyone can regulate an industry to death if they want until it is impossible to comply with them all.

ITMT, I can name you 1,000 other industries rife with inhumanity towards animals and humans, from raising chickens and cows for eggs and milk right up to tax, property and credit card laws which ignore allodial rights, so, pick your poison. Let's shut them ALL down.

Just think how you would feel if someone forced you to walk around all day in a dirty crowded city, not asking you whether you were tired or just wanted to kick back in a nice meadow somewhere. Animals are often abused for the pleasure of humans. While a horse-drawn buggy is very picturesque, it's not worth the suffering for a tourist snap. Same with the elephants in Asia, etc.

Good!

Nothing inhumane about a horse drawing a carriage. But then, I suppose anyone can regulate an industry to death if they want until it is impossible to comply with them all.

ITMT, I can name you 1,000 other industries rife with inhumanity towards animals and humans, from raising chickens and cows for eggs and milk right up to tax, property and credit card laws which ignore allodial rights, so, pick your poison. Let's shut them ALL down.

It is not that simple. Urban areas today, are hard on horses. The constant walking or trotting on pavement can damage the bones in their legs and hooves. They are stabled with out access to pasture, and have been forced to work long hours well beyond what is healthy. Many cities have become concrete heat sinks adding to the stress. You might laugh about exhaust fumes but you aren’t trotting along behind the back of a car.

The potential for abuse is high, and it occurs. Horses have collapsed in the street and died. Unlike food animals (who also should be treated humanely) they serve solely for our pleasure.

Unlike you and I they zero choice.

Don’t we owe it to them to make sure it is as safe and humane as possible?

View attachment 312196
View attachment 312197

View attachment 312200

View attachment 312202

Breaking News: Horses are being replaced by motorcars!!!!

Good!

It is not that simple. Urban areas today, are hard on horses. The constant walking or trotting on pavement can damage the bones in their legs and hooves. They are stabled with out access to pasture, and have been forced to work long hours well beyond what is healthy. Many cities have become concrete heat sinks adding to the stress. You might laugh about exhaust fumes but you aren’t trotting along behind the back of a car.

The potential for abuse is high, and it occurs. Horses have collapsed in the street and died. Unlike food animals (who also should be treated humanely) they serve solely for our pleasure.

Sounds like we need to get as much consideration for some people. I had a job once where I had to take risks on my life while breathing nasty air and working in 115° heat covered head to toe. And no, people often don't have a choice neither, forced to pay for food and taxes and things.

I've generally found horse owners value and appreciate them as intelligent animals not cheap to replace. It's not like anyone is beating them. And I've followed many a bus behind in my car. The market for carriages is declining, not sure where these horses are being forced to work so hard, so much, for such long hours. Aren't most city streets even pretty level?

What did horses do the past few thousand years when they were the ONLY means of transportation? And there have been paved city streets for a century or more and the air 100 years ago was as bad as a bus everywhere.

I love animals, but these are horses. They are tough. Seems to me an equitable solution can be found, such as special lanes for them (like bike lanes) and elastomeric compounds for the hoofs to cushion the effects of concrete and asphalt. Maybe the horse carriages are merely illuminating a problem with our cities rather than being the problem itself. Rather than banning them, maybe they need to work on better solutions.

If the air and other factors are not suitable for a horse in the city, maybe animal groups need to dial it back a bit and we ought to wonder if the city is good for people either? Frankly, I wish my city had horse carriages to cart me around town, I would use them every time. A city should be an organic place rather than all steel, glass and concrete. If we planted trees in our city and the trees started to die and lose their leaves unhealthy to live there, I bet environmentalists would ask why a tree can't live there and do a study of the problem looking to fix it rather than just ban the trees.

Seems to me a horse is worth at least as much consideration as a tree.

Good!

Sounds like we need to get as much consideration for some people. I had a job once where I had to take risks on my life while breathing nasty air and working in 115° heat covered head to toe. And no, people often don't have a choice neither, forced to pay for food and taxes and things.

Actually....I agree with that...which is why I am angered when I see attacks on workplace safety, environmental pollution regulations..etc. WE don't always have a choice.

But unlike animals - we have rights. We aren't property.

I've generally found horse owners value and appreciate them as intelligent animals not cheap to replace. It's not like anyone is beating them. And I've followed many a bus behind in my car. The market for carriages is declining, not sure where these horses are being forced to work so hard, so much, for such long hours. Aren't most city streets even pretty level?

It's a mix of people. In some cities the horse/carriage outfits are rented out to drivers (like cabs). In any situation like that the driver may nor may not know much about horses, has no skin in the game with that individual animal, and is trying to make as much money as he can in a cut throat (tourism) business. At the end of the day he turns the horse back in to the stable manager.

Streets being level aren't usually the issue - it's pavement and the damaging effects that has on horses - they aren't engineered for those surfaces which can get slick in the rain and retain and reflect heat in the summer.

What did horses do the past few thousand years when they were the ONLY means of transportation? And there have been paved city streets for a century or more and the air 100 years ago was as bad as a bus everywhere.

It was pretty grim then. Horses were cheap and used until they broke down - they were passed down to worse and worse situations until they died. It was not uncommon to see dead horses in the streets of the poor sections of cities. Their lives were often worse than now because they had no protections. The book, Black Beauty, was kind of an expose into the reality of horses then and preceded a huge humane movement for horses.

I love animals, but these are horses. They are tough. Seems to me an equitable solution can be found, such as special lanes for them (like bike lanes) and elastomeric compounds for the hoofs to cushion the effects of concrete and asphalt. Maybe the horse carriages are merely illuminating a problem with our cities rather than being the problem itself. Rather than banning them, maybe they need to work on better solutions.

Horses, at odds with their appearance, are actually incredibly fragile - huge animals on thin legs with finicky digestive systems that can kill them. They aren't that tough, they just manage to endure. They aren't well made for urban movement and cities now are bigger, more congested then ever before. It's no wonder there are problems.

If the air and other factors are not suitable for a horse in the city, maybe animal groups need to dial it back a bit and we ought to wonder if the city is good for people either? Frankly, I wish my city had horse carriages to cart me around town, I would use them every time. A city should be an organic place rather than all steel, glass and concrete. If we planted trees in our city and the trees started to die and lose their leaves unhealthy to live there, I bet environmentalists would ask why a tree can't live there and do a study of the problem looking to fix it rather than just ban the trees.

Believe it or not...there is a lot I agree with you in that paragraph - more then you could know! I think there is much to be said for good urban planning.

Instead of banning horses...well...what would we do? I'd like to see a world where urban horses worked like people - 5 days a week, then 2 days off in a pasture with their mates and several times a year - a month off at pasture. Where there were workplace safety standards strictly adhered to for them.

Seems to me a horse is worth at least as much consideration as a tree.

Yes...they are!

Forum List

Back