And now for something completely different.........

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
Who are some of your FAVORITE major league baseball players all-time? Not necessarily the ones you consider the BEST players all-time, but your favorites. Mine are 1) Harold Baines, being a staunch White Sox fan since 1970, I really admired Harold's play when he was a member of the Sox, and the other teams he played for. He was always very quiet and unassuming, AND one of the top 5 designated hitters all-time, IMHO. I was thrilled to see him get inducted into the Hall of Fame, thanks to the Veteran's Committee, who can vote in players after so many years of not being voted in by the regular committee. 2) Cesar Cedeno, he put up some nice career numbers, I believe he could've been Hall of Fame quality if things had gone differently for him. He had power AND speed, he finished with over 500 career stolen bases. I believe he retired too soon, and just didn't seem to put up the single season numbers I think he was capable of. What caused this? I'm not sure, but he WAS entertaining to watch. I always made it a point to watch his team(s) play against the Chicago Cubs. 3) Eric Davis, another player with power AND speed. He also finished with over 500 stolen bases in his career. Unfortunately his health problems, which dogged him the last several years of his career, robbed him of many, many games. I believe if it hadn't been for his health issues, he would have put up career numbers worthy of the Hall of Fame. 4) Babe Ruth, just amazing career numbers by the Bambino. He could do it all offensively, AND was a very fine pitcher, as well, before he became an everyday player. He is perhaps THE most legendary player the game has seen, and very worthy of that legendary status. 5) Hank Aaron, just a tremendous player, always quiet and unassuming. He let his numbers speak for him. So there are MY five favorites all-time, who are some of yours?

i'm not a sports fan - but i get the monty python reference. ;)

p.s. ( the larch )

Chico Esquela :eusa_shifty:

Hank Aaron was a beast. One night he was hitting against Robin Roberts. Aaron swung and hit a line drive right back to the mound that whistled past Roberts' ear as he lunged too late to stop it. Roberts then turned around and watched the same ball sailing over the centerfield fence. Right over the sign that said "447". Such was his power.

Dick Allen, awesome hitter. To be accurate Dick Allen did not "hit" the ball --- he punished it. The only time I've seen a baseball screaming in pain. Once Allen had done his stuff with the baseball if it wasn't in orbit it was mush and you just had to throw it away.

And Sandy Koufax was the most intimidatingly unhittable pitcher I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Hank Aaron was a beast. One night he was hitting against Robin Roberts. Aaron swung and hit a line drive right back to the mound that whistled past Roberts' ear as he lunged too late to stop it. Roberts then turned around and watched the same ball sailing over the centerfield fence. Right over the sign that said "447". Such was his power.

Dick Allen, awesome hitter. To be accurate Dick Allen did not "hit" the ball --- he punished it. The only time I've seen a baseball screaming in pain. Once Allen had done his stuff with the baseball if it wasn't in orbit it was mush and you just had to throw it away.
Thanks for your reply, Pogo. Dick Allen JUST missed my top 5. If he hadn't been such a head case, particularly at the end of his career, he WOULD'VE definitely finished with undeniably Hall of Fame numbers. How MUCH of a head case was he? Well, in early September of 1974, with still a MONTH of baseball to be played, Allen up and left the team, despite having already hit 32 home runs for the season, because he was tired of baseball and wanted to retire to his farm and his horses! Simply incredible. He was so far ahead in home runs for the league when abruptly left, he STILL finished as the leader for that season in the American league. He did return briefly, playing for the Oakland A's, but called it quits shortly afterwards. It still boggles my mind that he chose to end his career this way.

Outside of Indians players, I was always a fan of Frank Thomas. We had seats behind the first base dugout when I was a kid and seeing that dude up close was crazy. He was a BIG dude. Always seemed like a good guy too.

Griffey Jr was another guy everyone of us loved as a kid. In his prime he might have been the best ball player ever.

For my tribe it was any number of 90's guys. Jim Thome, Omar Vizquel, Sandy Alomar Jr and everyone's favorite villain, Albert Belle.

Historically I would say Bob Feller. Dude was one of the best pitchers ever and missed four years in his prime while he served in the Navy during WWII, as many players did during this time. He was still playing in old timers games at age 90.

Thanks for your reply, Pogo. Dick Allen JUST missed my top 5. If he hadn't been such a head case, particularly at the end of his career, he WOULD'VE definitely finished with undeniably Hall of Fame numbers. How MUCH of a head case was he? Well, in early September of 1974, with still a MONTH of baseball to be played, Allen up and left the team, despite having already hit 32 home runs for the season, because he was tired of baseball and wanted to retire to his farm and his horses! Simply incredible. He was so far ahead in home runs for the league when abruptly left, he STILL finished as the leader for that season in the American league. He did return briefly, playing for the Oakland A's, but called it quits shortly afterwards. It still boggles my mind that he chose to end his career this way.

Actually he came back to the Phillies, out of retirement, in the mid-70s. I saw him play then, including the ball I described while I was sitting in right field. I don't know about Oakland, but didn't he win the MVP award that season in 1972?

Allen went through a lot in those daze of overt racism, including an infamous fight with Frank Thomas, but he was spot-on correct about that Astroturf shit. He famously said, "if a horse can't eat it, I don't want to play on it". And I looked it up, it was two weeks left in the season, not a month.

1972 also reminds me of another player, Steve Carlton. His last-place team won only 59 games and Carlton won 27 of them with an ERA under 2 and a WAR over 12.

Last edited:
Rick Monday

1-monday7.jpg
rick_monday_flag.jpg
220px-Rick_Monday_1973.jpg

Actually he came back to the Phillies, out of retirement, in the mid-70s. I saw him play then, including the ball I described while I was sitting in right field. I don't know about Oakland, but didn't he win the MVP award that season in 1972?

Allen went through a lot in those daze of overt racism, including an infamous fight with Frank Thomas, but he was spot-on correct about that Astroturf shit. He famously said, "if a horse can't eat it, I don't want to play on it". And I looked it up, it was two weeks left in the season, not a month.

1972 also reminds me of another player, Steve Carlton. His last-place team won only 59 games and Carlton won 27 of them with an ERA under 2 and a WAR over 12.
Thanks. He DID win the American League MVP in 1972, playing for the White Sox.

Roberto Clemente, Brooks Robinson, Gaylord Perry, Babe Ruth, Randy Johnson, and Hank Aaron ( I had a poster of him in the 70's)Mr Clutch - Pete Rose and the Big Red machine were awesome. Man I could go on and on....Willy Mays.

Well, Mr. Monday DID play baseball, AND he did this wonderfully patriotic deed DURING a baseball game. If THAT isn't baseball, I don't know what IS.....

It isn't. Baseball involves moving balls and players.

You started a nice thread here about non-political stuff and here comes a guy to fuck it up. Have Rick Monday haul him away, he's off topic.

Well, Mr. Monday DID play baseball, AND he did this wonderfully patriotic deed DURING a baseball game. If THAT isn't baseball, I don't know what IS.....

You started a nice thread here about non-political stuff and here comes a guy to fuck it up. Have Rick Monday haul him away, he's off topic.

Was that kid you Pogo?

He-he!

Forum List

Back