And now for something completely different.........

Well, Mr. Monday DID play baseball, AND he did this wonderfully patriotic deed DURING a baseball game. If THAT isn't baseball, I don't know what IS.....

Be quiet dont mention being patriotic to Pogo.

What forum are we in, numnutz? Hm?

The sports forum?

Correct. So talk sports or get the fuck out.

So now the Cubs are not sports?

You could of fooled us.

The Cubs are in sports. When they play.

What you posted was not play. Perhaps you're too stupid to know this. Perhaps you should just watch while the adults talk. Perhaps you're mouthing the words as you read this.
He-he, part SIX!

Pete Rose virtually invented the head-first slide that is now common. Before him nobody was doing that. He would run to first base on a walk. Confused the shit out of defenses who would sometimes throw down thinking there was a play on. Rose was always 'on'. And over his career played about every position except maybe catcher.
Rose another controversial player. He came to the Phils and got them over the top. A team of potential that fell short. And with hi they go to two world series in five years. That's a heart attack right there. The 1980 Series Championship was their first ever. And it was their 99th year of existence at the time. Suffering...

Pete Rose virtually invented the head-first slide that is now common. Before him nobody was doing that. He would run to first base on a walk. Confused the shit out of defenses who would sometimes throw down thinking there was a play on. Rose was always 'on'. And over his career played about every position except maybe catcher.
Rose another controversial player. He came to the Phils and got them over the top. A team of potential that fell short. And with hi they go to two world series in five years. That's a heart attack right there. The 1980 Series Championship was their first ever. And it was their 99th year of existence at the time. Suffering...
Yep, Pete Rose was a fantastic ball player and a FIERCE competitor. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. My sincere condolences to you being a Phillies fan. I'm a long suffering fan of the White Sox, myself, but at least they DID win a World Series in my lifetime, in 2005. I've been a staunch Sox fan since 1970, when I was 9 years old. 2005 was VERY sweet.

Yep, Pete Rose was a fantastic ball player and a FIERCE competitor. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. My sincere condolences to you being a Phillies fan. I'm a long suffering fan of the White Sox, myself, but at least they DID win a World Series in my lifetime, in 2005. I've been a staunch Sox fan since 1970, when I was 9 years old. 2005 was VERY sweet.
I was around when the Phils won in 1980. I was in the military in the mid 1970's and went to boot camp at Great Lakes. I went to a White Sox game on liberty before graduation at the old Comiskey Park. This was in August of 1975. I forgot who they played.

I was around when the Phils won in 1980. I was in the military in the mid 1970's and went to boot camp at Great Lakes. I went to a White Sox game on liberty before graduation at the old Comiskey Park. This was in August of 1975. I forgot who they played.
At least the Phils won in 1980, that had to be exciting for you. I was REALLY rooting for the Phils to beat the Yankees in the 2008 World Series. Well, at least we can both say that one of the greats played for both of our favorite teams, Jim Thome. I wish he had played more seasons with the White Sox. And let's face it, Cleveland Indian fans (Thome also played quite a few seasons for them) have been suffering MUCH longer than we have. I believe their last World Series win was in 1948.

At least the Phils won in 1980, that had to be exciting for you. I was REALLY rooting for the Phils to beat the Yankees in the 2008 World Series. Well, at least we can both say that one of the greats played for both of our favorite teams, Jim Thome. I wish he had played more seasons with the White Sox. And let's face it, Cleveland Indian fans (Thome also played quite a few seasons for them) have been suffering MUCH longer than we have. I believe their last World Series win was in 1948.

Actually the Phils DID win the 08 World Series, at home, against the Rays.

The Wankess were in '09. It was the first time we had ever played a WS opponent for a second time (Red Sox, Wankees, Royals, Orioles, Blue Jays, Rays). I was in Hawaìi during the '09 series and it looked like everybody there was a Phan. I dunno if it's because we had a Hawaiian player or because everybody everywhere just hates the Wankees.

Speaking of Utley above, NOBODY ever had more baseball smarts. He's a deity. Check out the second play at 0:53

Last edited:
Outside of Indians players, I was always a fan of Frank Thomas. We had seats behind the first base dugout when I was a kid and seeing that dude up close was crazy. He was a BIG dude. Always seemed like a good guy too.

Griffey Jr was another guy everyone of us loved as a kid. In his prime he might have been the best ball player ever.

For my tribe it was any number of 90's guys. Jim Thome, Omar Vizquel, Sandy Alomar Jr and everyone's favorite villain, Albert Belle.

Historically I would say Bob Feller. Dude was one of the best pitchers ever and missed four years in his prime while he served in the Navy during WWII, as many players did during this time. He was still playing in old timers games at age 90.
I had the honor of playing against JR. in high school. My high school played an exibition double header against Moler every year. The problem with exhibition ins you learn nothing realy. Neighter team burnt innings of the arms of the real pitching staff for exhibition games. I heard pitchers of our staff begging to get on the mound to face Jr. but our coach was not having it. We had a state title to chase. We split the double header all three years I was involved. Realy good experience. I had Mr. Ocotober as a bench coach for legion ball championships. Another awesome time spent due to baseball. Two of my favorite players of all time are Reggie Jackson and Rudy May. I knew them both personally and they were considered mentors for me. I grew to love Steve Garvey,Ron Cey, and Pedro Gueraro as I would see them yearly at Sparky Andersons baseball camp at UCLA. They also mentored me along the way.

Well, Mr. Monday DID play baseball, AND he did this wonderfully patriotic deed DURING a baseball game. If THAT isn't baseball, I don't know what IS.....

Cubs fans are my favorite fans in the world. They travel so well and and are a joy to have at your ball park. I have gone to so many reds-cubs games in my life I can not count them all. I seem to sit in the midst of cub fans every time they are involved in the game I am seeing and every time they have flatt adopted my family into thiers even though we are reds fans. I have met and talked to so many cubs fans in my life and had a great time evrey time. God love cubs fans.

Cubs fans are my favorite fans in the world. They travel so well and and are a joy to have at your ball park. I have gone to so many reds-cubs games in my life I can not count them all. I seem to sit in the midst of cub fans every time they are involved in the game I am seeing and every time they have flatt adopted my family into thiers even though we are reds fans. I have met and talked to so many cubs fans in my life and had a great time evrey time. God love cubs fans.

Thank you for that, nothing like Wrigley field sitting in the bleachers, we where so used to losing we could care less about the game just enjoyed each others company

When I was a little one, my father used to take me and my older sister to the NY Mets games at Shea Stadium, this was when we lived with my grandparents in Brooklyn and after he got home from his year tour in Viet Nam... all he wanted to do was get out and go to sports games with us..... I don't know if it was for us, but we loved tagging along with him..

And Willie Mays was my dad's favorite player, thus my favorite player! :D

Speaking of Cubs fans I have a buddy that made it to tripple A with the Cubs and he typically is fishing with me this week under normal conditions. Any way he is from chicago and played in thier farm system. He has a tatoo of Abraham Lincoln in a Cubs uni on his right fore arm. I will catch a game at wrigley this year with him and am looking forward to it. I have not been to wrigley since the 90's

Thank you for that, nothing like Wrigley field sitting in the bleachers, we where so used to losing we could care less about the game just enjoyed each others company
yall got your ring and no one deserved it more. I was way happier when you guys got yours than boston.

yall got your ring and no one deserved it more. I was way happier when you guys got yours than boston.
Not me! The curse of the bambino was very exciting to see it broken, we lived in Mass at the time!

The hubby is a Cubs fan, he even made a special trip with his brother to visit Wrigley Field, and I was a Back to the future Fan, so I was kind of excited for them, when it was nearly the year Marty McFly's almanac predicted they would win! :D that's about all I know about the cubs...

There are cities with rabid fans that deserve better. Cleveland is one of them.

Arod is my all time favorite player. I believe he was the best all around player of all time.

Ricky Henderson was electrifying when he tried.

Jose Canseco was the most exciting at bat for me watching as a kid.

Not me! The curse of the bambino was very exciting to see it broken, we lived in Mass at the time!

The hubby is a Cubs fan, he even made a special trip with his brother to visit Wrigley Field, and I was a Back to the future Fan, so I was kind of excited for them, when it was nearly the year Marty McFly's almanac predicted they would win! :D that's about all I know about the cubs...
I get breaking that curse was a big deal. I just did not have the interaction with Bosox fans I did with cubs fans. I loved that they got the ultimate prize. Good for Bosox fans also. Now the people of cleveleand could use some relief.

Actually the Phils DID win the 08 World Series, at home, against the Rays.

The Wankess were in '09. It was the first time we had ever played a WS opponent for a second time (Red Sox, Wankees, Royals, Orioles, Blue Jays, Rays). I was in Hawaìi during the '09 series and it looked like everybody there was a Phan. I dunno if it's because we had a Hawaiian player or because everybody everywhere just hates the Wankees.

Speaking of Utley above, NOBODY ever had more baseball smarts. He's a deity. Check out the second play at 0:53

Oh wait, you're right! The 2009 World Series WAS the Phils and the Yankees. I THOUGHT the Phils won it in 2008, but I think where I looked it up, it mentioned only their 1980 win. Thanks for your correction, Pogo. I don't remember WHERE I looked up World Series info on the Phils.

Forum List

Back