and...........Another suggestion how to make thinks better on here

MacTheKnife

Gold Member
Jul 20, 2018
There is a huge problem on this board and for that matter on most if not all message boards.

Fallacious arguments...........for example--attacking the messenger instead of the message aka ----oh that was from the N.Y. Times aka....a known fake news site ---it thus cannot be true. On the other side......oh that is from Faux news....that cannot be true. etc.etc.

Thus much board space is wasted not even to mention the topic is thus hijacked and a discussion of the legitimacy of the source of the message begins.

What I suggest is there should be a rule against using fallacious arguments. The more astute know them...but astuteness is a rarity on here....thus there needs to be a list of fallacious arguments posted and anyone who makes one should be sent off to Siberia in my oh so humble opinion.
hehheh

A List Of Fallacious Arguments

As you can see the list of fallacious arguments is quite long and it cannot be expected in this world for everyone ...even the more astute...to be familiar with all of them.

But the ones most frequently violated aka....shooting the messenger instead of dealing with the message could be dis-allowed. I know that is considered a violation on some boards.

Last edited:
I can make thinks better...........

iu

There is a huge problem on this board and for that matter on most if not all message boards.

Fallacious arguments...........for example--attacking the messenger instead of the message aka ----oh that was from the N.Y. Times aka....a known fake news site ---it thus cannot be true. On the other side......oh that is from Faux news....that cannot be true. etc.etc.

Thus much board space is wasted not even to mention the topic is thus hijacked and a discussion of the legitimacy of the source of the message begins.

What I suggest is there should be a rule against using fallacious arguments. The more astute know them...but astuteness is a rarity on here....thus there needs to be a list of fallacious arguments posted and anyone who makes one should be sent off to Siberia in my oh so humble opinion.
hehheh

As you can see the list of fallacious arguments is quite long and it cannot be expected in this world for everyone ...even the more astute...to be familiar with all of them.

But the ones most frequently violated aka....shooting the messenger instead of dealing with the message could be dis-allowed. I know that is considered a violation on some boards.
Mac, I get your argument and your heart and sentiment is certainly in the right place, but I believe what you suggest is wholly impractical, contrary to the force of the forum and would increase the work of the moderators by a factor of TEN! Not to mention drive half the members away. Put another way, I believe it is by DESIGN that you deal with the various fallacy arguments yourself as YOU choose, by counter-argument according to the rules or by simply hitting IGNORE.

hehheh

I like the idea.

Every site needs a TRUTH detector.

Think of the bandwidth it would save. . . but, be careful what you wish for. Some mods have agendas and biases all their own.

hehheh

Mac, I get your argument and your heart and sentiment is certainly in the right place, but I believe what you suggest is wholly impractical, contrary to the force of the forum and would increase the work of the moderators by a factor of TEN! Not to mention drive half the members away. Put another way, I believe it is by DESIGN that you deal with the various fallacy arguments yourself as YOU choose, by counter-argument according to the rules or by simply hitting IGNORE.

Oh i recently began to do that for the first time and very extensively....I now put on ignore just about every democrat/liberal I come across and all stoopids. Amazing how much better the board looks to me now.....and I would suggest if more did that this board would be much,much better.

The board could use a better variety of reactions, otherwise it's a pretty good way to joke around or say what you want to say.

hehheh

What we encourage by the rules is "topical contribution".. Being completely "off topic" or "all personal" in a post is already illegal...

Mod staff cannot be truth checkers (other then OBVIOUS conspiracy theory).. Nor can we REQUIRE any minimum level of effort from the members.. In terms of "debate techniques" -- we're just hoping that adults can be adults and "work things out" without a Supreme Ct or moderators.

These things bother me also.. Especially arguing about sources when the media no longer REALLY exists in any kind of "journalistic" sense.. If the TOP media outlets are pushing "fallacious arguments" (also known as "fake news") and lying to support partisan objectives -- how do you expect 7 volunteer moderators to keep it OFF USMB????

Forum List

Back